The MT-07 Forum

Seat Concepts - show and tell

g3ngo

Great! Thank you!!!

So this mean I need to take off any hardware and rip off the front seat cover and foam, then take off rear cover and leave the foam intact correct?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Great! Thank you!!! 
So this mean I need to take off any hardware and rip off the front seat cover and foam, then take off rear cover and leave the foam intact correct?

Yes, IF you want to keep the old covers for some reason, and maybe save a little on your shipping costs out to them.  At the very least I would take out the tools under the seat so they don't get lost.  Of course, you can always reach out to them with more questions.  They were quite helpful and responsive for me.

I notice a bit of a gap all around. Up front and from about 10 ft or so you can clearly see that it doesn't come down as far as the stock seat. I don't know if that is normal for aftermarket padding but you can see there is a gap. Anyone have this fitment too?

Yeah I sent them a message but I knew someone on this awesome form would reply quicker. :)

I got the red stitching so I will be sure to post pics for anyone wondering what it looks. (hopefully awesomeeeeeee)

• Premium Member

The wifey drove the bike over to Seat Concepts for me!! Mind you, this was her 3rd time riding the bike (she's only ridden a CBR250R since September). Rode a good 120+ miles round trip!! 

She said her butt hurts. But I take it it's from the first half of the commute. They set the seat up in less than 30 minutes and she went off to ride back. No time to recuperate.  O_o

Here are pics she took at the shop! 

Edit: Don't know why the thumbnail preview shows the orientations off, but when you click on them, they're upright!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Wow, I'm reading these posts and am trying not to pass judgement with seatconcepts.

Here is why:

I paid after receiving my initial receipt back on April 14th, I called directly and placed the order and was told next day I'd receive an email. (No email-but credit card charged)
Two days later I was emailed a customer receipt # on 16th, I waited until 17th early morning to inquire about a tracking #. Later that night I got a generic response from seatconcepts quoted from the website FAQ, stating processing time is 3-7 days custom orders add time (mine is not a custom order -standard stitch color and installing myself)
the last sentence had an explanation that they will be running at an all time high, your seat should ship at end of week.
Here we are now on 23rd, tomorrow will be 10 days and nada, passed 3-7 days and not a tracking number........

Anyone one here pay back on the 14th and in the same situation? Yes I live in the U.S.
No tracking, no shipment details?

going to call now

Update to my earlier post:

Just called, took my last name and put me on hold, came back and said seat Should be out for shipment Friday.....
...............I then asked about tracking # and was told there UPS pickup is at 5:30 pm, so ill be waiting ............................."...................

My reaction was the same, I guess mainly because in this era of the interwebs, we expect a lot of automation and technology (like updates and tracking numbers) with every transaction we do.
I had to go "old school" and call Seat Concepts and the guy that helped me was perfectly nice and explained their process.
He also explained that they are a small operation (meaning it's a question of time spent updating transaction records or building seats).
The only problem then, is that they face high expectations with no upfront communication to manage those expectations.
My Monday morning quarterback analysis is that Seat Concepts could have put out a single, brief communication like so to all the group buyers:

SEAT CONCEPTS INSTALLATION: Upon receipt of your original seat pan, our typical turnaround time is 5-7 business days.
SELF-INSTALLATION: Upon payment, our typical turnaround time is 3-5 business days.

Seat Concepts will email you a tracking number when your order is complete and ready to ship out.
If you wish to check the status of your order, please email us at ________ or call us at _________.
(We prefer email, so that we can build seats faster)

Love,
Seat Concepts

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I notice a bit of a gap all around. Up front and from about 10 ft or so you can clearly see that it doesn't come down as far as the stock seat. I don't know if that is normal for aftermarket padding but you can see there is a gap. Anyone have this fitment too?
Make sure you have your seat properly hooked into the front. There should not be much of a gap at all.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My reaction was the same, I guess mainly because in this era of the interwebs, we expect a lot of automation and technology (like updates and tracking numbers) with every transaction we do. 
SEAT CONCEPTS INSTALLATION: Upon receipt of your original seat pan, our typical turnaround time is 5-7 business days.
SELF-INSTALLATION: Upon payment, our typical turnaround time is 3-5 business days.

Seat Concepts will email you a tracking number when your order is complete and ready to ship out.
If you wish to check the status of your order, please email us at ________ or call us at _________.
(We prefer email, so that we can build seats faster)

Love,
Seat Concepts
g3ngo, Nicely put.  I went old school as well and called my order in on the 14th!
I love your Statement, as it would certainly help others who are anticipating consistent communication/tracking#/and end product, the seat.

Thanks for your reply and hope your seat arrives soon! And mine too!

• Global Moderator

I paid my invoice as soon as I got it and had an email with the tracking number a few days later. My seat is currently in Portland and should be delivered tomorrow (according to the UPS website). Unfortunately I am not home until Monday night so will not be able to get it installed until Tuesday at the earliest :(

mine's scheduled for next Wed. Only one more weekend with that OE torture rack

Would love to have a video before-hand like the one they did for the fz09, but not gonna wait. like the guy said, the staples can always be pulled for an adjustment

Seat scheduled to arrive today... woot!
So??  g3ngo, did you install? Pics, tips, tales? 
Rick I read yours arrives Wednesday, And mjh937 yours on Monday , I believe my seat kit should be here Thursday.  

Looks like I get to learn from you guys...........

• Premium Member

Went for my first ride with the seat today. Maybe three hours saddle time and ready for six more. Night and day difference between the seats.

• Global Moderator

Mine arrived Friday but I am not home until tomorrow. I am paying a professional to do mine so all you will be able to learn is how to use a debit card :)

Mine arrived Friday but I am not home until tomorrow. I am paying a professional to do mine so all you will be able to learn is how to use a debit card :)
HaHaHaHaHa,,,,,,,oh that's a good one. Alright anyone else doing the install? :)/"

N2shotokai, great news to hear the seat is that comfortable!

I received mine Friday and installed it that night. Have not actually taken it for a ride, so I will only comment on my initial impressions. For the purposes of this write up, I'm 5'10", 190lbs with a combination fat and athletic butt.

Upon unboxing, quality of materials and stitching, and upholstery looked good. There were some small creases in the material, which I expected since the seat is not so flat. The seat installed relatively easily, though one of the seat bolts was refusing to begin threading.

After installing, I sat on the bike and the height seemed roughly the same as stock. The foam padding also seemed more or less like the OEM, not particularly harder or softer.  If you were hoping for a LA-Z-BOY recliner (part of me was), you will be disappointed. Upon plopping my butt down on the seat, I could definitely feel the "dishing" of the new seat (concave contours which match the gluteal anatomy of a human) instead of a totally flat surface.  The location of the dishing positioned the rider evenly in the seat, not too far forward or back. One potential negative of the dishing is that because it positions you in one location, it may be more difficult to find comfortable, alternate seating positions. For example, sometimes I sit way back on the seat to the point where my lower back rests against the passenger seat. Lastly, I'd say the dishing on the seat felt like it was made more for someone 5'7" with a leaner body, I felt like I was sort of spilling out of the contours. It's certainly possible this thing will break-in over time.  I'll comment back when I've actually had a chance to ride the bike, which is what really matters.

Went for my first ride with the seat today. Maybe three hours saddle time and ready for six more. Night and day difference between the seats.
Dat's what we all wanna to hear.  
Can't wait. Hoping I can have mine on before a ride Saturday. Having a complete amateur (me) do mine. I'll let ya know how it goes. One thing's for sure. This is a job that really does need a pneumatic stapler. It will be just no fun with one of those old, squeeze the handle type staplers.

I got talked into obtaining a fairly large compressor years ago. I can't see living w/o one now ( actually now have 2 - one's portable, one not so much)  and wonder how I managed before. 

Good to see the pics. After my first pushed ride with the new shock and rear end raise, I think both the stock seat and the seat concepts one will be too high. I feel I need to sit more "into" the bike so may have to make a whole new seat cowl and lower seat ( if possible).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Nice to hear the improvement is helping. The stock seat isn't bad for a quick ride but those 1+ hour rides are rough. I got mine install via the debit card method :)

Archived