The MT-07 Forum

Singing the Blues

oldsocks

• Premium Member

This bike is awesome (everything about it), however I am not.
I have gout on my left foot big toe. Not only is shifting an issue there is a direct coloration to the vibration from the foot-peg and the gout flaring up for me. The shifting I can finagle with steel toe boots or just going slow and trying to use upper part of my foot. The vibrations aren’t terrible on the bike but they are killing my gout. As I understand more cylinders equals less vibrations. Can anyone provide some feedback on the vibration levels on other bikes that would provide a similar (none can match!) fun level of our beloved 07? I am interested in y’all’s thoughts/experience with anything like this.
Thanks!
-OS

I feel your pain. I get a gout attack in my knee once in awhile. I've never noticed an uncomfortable amount of vibration in the 07. Single cylinders I have. The 4 cylinder sportbikes I had were smoother.

Right now I'm dealing with a sore left ankle and thats putting a damper on my riding enjoyment although I'm still riding. Getting old is not for sissys.

• Premium Member
...... Can anyone provide some feedback on the vibration levels on other bikes that would provide a similar (none can match!) fun level of our beloved 07?  

See if you can get a test ride on a 2015 Honda CBR650F. It has a more or less upright riding position and the wind blast is practically non-existant at far above interstate speeds.

It's fairly torquey below 5,000rpm for a 4 cylinder and it feels like the AFTERBURNER comes in at 6,000rpm and above. Really has a surprising amount of pull when you hit 6k rpm with more than half throttle. It can be a blast to ride.

Since it's a 4 cyl, it's not really happy below 3k rpm and you can feel some vibes there, but it starts to smooth out at 3,500rpm and just get smoother on the way up.

460lbs wet, max output of 86 horsepower at 11,000 rpm and 46 foot-pounds of torque at 8,000 rpm.

2015-Honda-CBR650F1-small.jpg

Is this a joke? How long do you expect to have this gout? How does one get rid of gout? Have you seen a doctor? Is it worth getting a different bike for? If so I would recommend a nice, smooth BMW.

Beemer

Nathaniel Crunkleton
Is this a joke? How long do you expect to have this gout? How does one get rid of gout? Have you seen a doctor? Is it worth getting a different bike for? If so I would recommend a nice, smooth BMW.
Gout can be an incredibly painful condition.  It's inflammatory and non-infectious in origin -- the source is usually urate crystals, though there are similar conditions (pseudogout) that involve other things.  It most commonly affects the great toe, and usually more than one joint. 
gout-symptoms-lyme-disease.jpg

Fluorescent_uric_acid.JPG

It's treated with anti-uric acid drugs and anti-inflammatories.  I certainly recommend seeing a doc before selling off the bike.  Gout treatments are NOT expensive, though they are also not a sure-fire solution.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Getting a reinforced boot should help distribute pressure around the problem toes. Other than that going with a motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders may be a better option. Full disclosure I have not had gout.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I didn't mean to sound insensitive but the subject of your foot on a motorcycle forum struck me as out of place/unusual. It seems to me a doctor would recommend some medicine to cure the gout. May be a lot cheaper than scuttling the bike. Anyway, I hope that gets better for you. Maybe some small bubble wrap around that toe when you ride???

Beemer

Hey socks, I have felt your pain! Same foot, same toe and it certainly is no joke. Quite frankly, I don't see how you can ride any bike safely during a full-on flare-up of gout. I would recommend staying off two wheels until the swelling and pain has subsided. That being said, the doc should be able to prescribe you a couple of different medications to help with this. For immediate relief, I was prescribed colchicine and actually instructed to take one pill every hour until I threw up. This stuff is BAD on the stomach, but the very next day my swelling and foot pain was greatly reduced. Another option would be a daily dose of allopurinol. This is just as effective as the colchicine, but it takes longer to do its work and doesn't wreak havoc on your guts. Some urine tests may be required for the allopurinol. Watch your diet, too! I would highly recommend treating the disease (and it WILL spread if you don't) before changing bikes. You may get a smoother-running bike, but without special attention, that foot will continue to hurt until even walking and sleeping are difficult. Good luck and take care of yourself!

• Premium Member

Thank you all for the comments. I have gone to the doctor and I am taking some stuff and doing the blood work to lower the uric acid and hopefully prevent future flare ups. It has just been an issue with the vibrations on the foot which from the very mild vibrations on the 07 in combination with shifting seems to aggravate it. The lawn mower wrecks it really bad! But I really have no issues at all wanting to sell the lawn mower! That is another thread though. :) 

I don't want to sell the bike, I even thought about a giant reinforced rubber grommet on the left peg or some heavy foam shoe soles to help reduce vibrations....but these may take some engineering on the shifter as well to make it so I can still ride responsibly. I was really hoping for someone to say "I ride the xxxx and it is so smooth it actually reverses gout and arthritis after two months of riding" Short of that any other comments are welcome. :)

Thank you all for taking the time to help an old sock with his dilemma. 

-OS

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I hope you can get it under control. I've never had it but hubs has had a few flareups and I know it can be incredibly painful. He takes allopurinol and will for the rest of his life. It works for him. Here's hoping you don't have to get rid of the bike; I wonder if anyone has put a floorboard on an 07? ::)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I got gout for the first time in the same toe right before Thanksgiving. It was awful for a full week. I learned that you can't binge drink for a week and eat a ton of chicken wings without consequences.

• 2 weeks later...
This bike is awesome (everything about it), however I am not. 
I have gout on my left foot big toe. Not only is shifting an issue there is a direct coloration to the vibration from the foot-peg and the gout flaring up for me. The shifting I can finagle with steel toe boots or just going slow and trying to use upper part of my foot. The vibrations aren’t terrible on the bike but they are killing my gout. As I understand more cylinders equals less vibrations. Can anyone provide some feedback on the vibration levels on other bikes that would provide a similar (none can match!) fun level of our beloved 07? I am interested in y’all’s thoughts/experience with anything like this.

Thanks!

-OS

Hey, I bought these at a shoe store because the shoes I bought have a thin material that tends to collapse and wrinkle over the toe area but I thought they might be a good answer to your toe problem. They are made of a dense foam material and fit inside the shoe, over the foot. I don't feel a thing with them when I shift. I got them at Foot Locker. I know they won't help with vibration but for alleviating any pain from shifting they might work great and they were like $9.00. Good luck with that! Toe getting any better? 

[attachment id=244" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

go to a machine shop or custom bike builder and ask them to build you a heel-toe shifter for the bike. or, if you want to be a real badarse, have them fab a hand shifter :)

the heel-toe shifter will probably be the better idea.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived