The MT-07 Forum

What oil do you use?

Guru

Just switched to Mobil 1 Racing 4T at just under 600 miles. Shifting feels smoother, but it's probably just in my head or just because it's new oil and not because of the brand.

• 1 year later...

Well .... I drank the rotella koolaid and bought a cheap pail of the 15/40. I immediately noticed notchy shifting just like with old oil. It does improve after it warms up well but not much.
Very sorry I switched from my regular oil and the rotella crap will be swapped out soon.
You get what you pay for.

bmwpowere36m3

Rotella TTT 15W-40 has worked great in all my bikes so far... I ran it in the FZ for the first 1200 miles (3 oil changes). Shifting is just notchy on new bikes, takes thousands of miles to really smooth out (wear-in).

I'm at 3500 now with Mobil synthetic mix and shifting is much better, but not as smooth as my old Kawasaki.

• 4 weeks later...
Only have about 50 miles on the bike now but:

@ 600mi I'll change to Yamalube 10W-40 and Yamaha Oil filter
@ 1500mi I'll do another cycle of Yamalube and Yamaha Oil Filter
@ 2500mi I will switch and run AMSoil 10W-40 (i'm a dealer) and either stick to the Yamaha Filter or pick up the AMSoil ones.

-Drew

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

• Premium Member

Amsoil synth 10w40. I got a stellar deal as a member so I bought a case and a handfull of filters.

I based my choice on loose info gleaned from the interwebs....and really how does one actually review an oil brand with any accuracy over another? Without some kind of side by side technical reports who knows. Personal opinion with this stuff means squat to me, and as far as I can tell we like it and recommend it because we chose it. Its oil. I dunno.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

I've been using this thru 3 or 4 oil changes so far. Now with the heat I'm switching to 20w-50.
Gear changes are smooth enough.
I don't have much to compare it too. I was pretty rusty thru my first 600 miles and most rides were fairly clunky because of me.

Motul synthetic 300v 10w-40/ K&N oil filter.
Did about 3,500-4,000 on the last change. Oil seemed to still have good qualities to it" color, feel, smell,etc.." That being said i have not done an oil analysis nor will I. Nothing is better then consistent oil and FILTER changes. 

I Dont know what  peoples hangup up is with spending a few bucks to change there oil filters, cheap insurance in my opinion. To each is its own i suppose

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Motul synthetic 300v 10w-40/ K&N oil filter. Did about 3,500-4,000 on the last change. Oil seemed to still have good qualities to it" color, feel, smell,etc.." That being said i have not done an oil analysis nor will I. Nothing is better then consistent oil and FILTER changes. 

I Dont know what  peoples hangup up is with spending a few bucks to change there oil filters, cheap insurance in my opinion. To each is its own i suppose
People dont change their filters with the oil? What are they 10 bucks? Thats akin to going to the bathroom and not bothering to use the paper.  

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Motul synthetic 300v 10w-40/ K&N oil filter. Did about 3,500-4,000 on the last change. Oil seemed to still have good qualities to it" color, feel, smell,etc.." That being said i have not done an oil analysis nor will I. Nothing is better then consistent oil and FILTER changes. 

People dont change their filters with the oil? What are they 10 bucks? Thats akin to going to the bathroom and not bothering to use the paper.
Yea... who would do that?! 

*nervous laugh*
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

So, I've been using Motul 300V and have less than 2K miles since my last oil change. It's hotter than hell here right now and my shifting is starting to get really loud, especially after warmup and riding in heat. I just ordered some Motul 7100 in 20W50. I hope that works better for the heat.

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
So, I've been using Motul 300V and have less than 2K miles since my last oil change. It's hotter than hell here right now and my shifting is starting to get really loud, especially after warmup and riding in heat. I just ordered some Motul 7100 in 20W50. I hope that works better for the heat.
Hmm, I use Motul 300V also (in a 10w40 wt) and my last track day was in 117 degree heat.  Bike worked flawless. 
What weight 300V are you using?

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Hmm, I use Motul 300V also (in a 10w40 wt) and my last track day was in 117 degree heat.  Bike worked flawless. 

- Paulie
I've been using 10W40, but I worry about the time interval between changes for the 300V.  I'm definitely getting clunkier shifting now in the hot weather. 

• Premium Member

- Paulie
I've been using 10W40, but I worry about the time interval between changes for the 300V.  I'm definitely getting clunkier shifting now in the hot weather.
Ah, ok.  I do change mine more often, like every 1,500 miles or so, but I track my bike a lot. 
It's funny though, because after seeing all the tests on various oils from places like Black Stone Labs, etc, I choose 300V because it had great shear strength and doesn't break down as fast as some other oils...and my experience has seemed to reflect that, as my bike still runs great even after wringing it out on the track.

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

*nervous laugh*
Tsk tsk, gotta spoil that bike a bit.  Hey...wait...are we talking filter or paper here? 

Guest ChicagoAJ

*nervous laugh*
Tsk tsk, gotta spoil that bike a bit.  Hey...wait...are we talking filter or paper here? 

Lol, I always change my filter. K&N filters are like 10 bucks a piece, if people don't change them that's just silly.  
@rowdy - I'm just about 2k into my current oil and the weather just started hitting 90s and 100s. Shifting is definitely more clunky, but that's going to happen with any oil after some miles unless you change it super early. 
  • Like 1

Guest 2wheeler
Weirdly glad to hear other people having loud, clunky shifts - thought I was the only one, although one person told me to "Embrace the clunk" 
I was running Castrol ActEvo in 10-40, then switched to Motul in 10-40. It now sounds clunkier with the Motul, but the temp is a lot hotter with highs in the 80s and 90s. I was wondering about 20-50, and what difference that would make. Sure as hell isn't a cheap oil swap that's for sure.

Rowdy, would you please post if the 20-50 makes a difference.

• Premium Member
Weirdly glad to hear other people having loud, clunky shifts - thought I was the only one, although one person told me to "Embrace the clunk" 
I was running Castrol ActEvo in 10-40, then switched to Motul in 10-40. It now sounds clunkier with the Motul, but the temp is a lot hotter with highs in the 80s and 90s. I was wondering about 20-50, and what difference that would make. Sure as hell isn't a cheap oil swap that's for sure.

Rowdy, would you please post if the 20-50 makes a difference.

Will do... waiting for the jug. ;) 

• 3 years later...

I just changed oil, and had to use straight 50w high zinc oil because I stoopidly had not checked my shelves before draining, and that was all i had.  Is there any harm to come from this?  Can I get a few thousand miles out of it?

Rick

10,000 miles on the bike, mostly commuter

Edited by toolpro
correct typo

walk, drive, steal a car, whatever, get the right oil. STRAIGHT 50!!? won't be OK!

• Like 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Just changed oil for first time on 600 mile 2019.  I just drove down the road to Yamaha dealer, and 31 bucks had me 3 qt of  yamalube 10-40, oem filter, and plug gasket.  Came home changed it out and DONE.  One stop shop and I didn't have to stress about it.   If its good enough for yamaha is good enough for me 🙂

Got 1100 miles now, runs great.

• Like 1

maxima pro+ 10w-40 which is an ester fortified synthetic oil. best of all, you can get a 5 gallon jug for around $125. this is a big savings as i change oil at lower intervals, usually around 1,500 miles.

oil.jpg

Edited by pwr2wh8

On 4/18/2015 at 9:37 PM, Guru said:

Here is the recommended brand and viscosity according to Yamaha

[div style=text-align:center]oil.png[/div][div style=text-align:center]
[/div]