The MT-07 Forum

Damping grease for throttle tube

pauljr

I have noticed a few posts about abrupt throttle response and finally found the article from November 2012 Motorcycle Consumer News. The grease is used on high end camera lenses and high end audio equipment dials. A 100 gram tube runs about $25 and is available from TAI lubricants www.lubekits.com, the part number in the article was [HASH]774VH although that number may have changed looking at the website. I ordered a tube for myself, if you would like a copy of the article let me know.

bmwpowere36m3

Bad idea... it'll just collect dirt and grime and cause the throttle to get sticky. If you must, a very light wipe of silicon spray is all you need. Jerky throttle, either look at the cable adjustment and/or it could be ECU related (tuning).

Yeah, i dont understand this at all...

Does this actually go UNDER the throttle tube on the bar or inside of the cable assembly?

You might want to try a dry film lube if you really think that is going to help but as BMW said, properly adjusting the bike should solve any issues you may be having.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Bad idea... it'll just collect dirt and grime and cause the throttle to get sticky. If you must, a very light wipe of silicon spray is all you need. Jerky throttle, either look at the cable adjustment and/or it could be ECU related (tuning).
Or there is always "Rider error" I find when I am below 40 mph or in gears 1-3 I need to use infinitesimal throttle adjustments.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

bmwpowere36m3
Yeah, i dont understand this at all... 
Does this actually go UNDER the throttle tube on the bar or inside of the cable assembly?

You might want to try a dry film lube if you really think that is going to help but as BMW said, properly adjusting the bike should solve any issues you may be having.
I'm thinking he means between the plastic throttle tube and the handlebar... as I've thought about it years ago and tried lubing it. Needless to say that didn't work well.  There is very little friction between the tube and handlebar anyway.
Lube and adjust the cables... DONE

Sorry troops, I did not come up with the idea. Initially MCN found this fix on a Triumph Explorer forum, they tried it and liked it, I'm just passing on information that some might find helpful. I'm going to use it on my R1200R since it has lots of slop in the driveline, and after lots of BMW's believe me they will never admit to any problem with the bike. I previously had a Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport that was far and away the worst bike ever when transitioning from off to on throttle. The FZ-07 is not too bad in this area but most FI bikes I've ridden seem to have this issue to some extent other than a Triumph Sprint ST we owned which was really good. Like I said I'll be glad to send the article to anyone requesting it and I can tell you how it works on the BMW, I don't think I will use it on the FZ-07, but I did install the G2 Ergonomics throttle tamer today and a short ride makes me think it might be a nice addition but I've not put enough miles on it to offer any real feedback and the price ($79) might be a bit on the high side to justify.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe it or not, lithium soap based grease is recommended where the throttle tube contacts the handlebar in the FZ07 Assembly Manual.

The Yamaha FZ07 Service Manual, on the other hand, recommends this grease be applied only to the throttle tube cam area (where the cables connect to it) and does not mention applying it to where the throttle tube contacts the handlebar.

Toss a coin, I guess.

Myself, I have been using a thin film of plain ol' 10W40 oil (same oil that you put into your engine) where the throttle tube contacts the handlebar for about 30 years, now, on every one of my bikes since then.
The oil stays put, damps any vibration and results in smooooooooth action of the throttle tube.
I tried grease on this area and didn't like the added drag, although slight.
I do put grease on the ends of the cables where they attach to the throttle tube as well as put a thin film of grease where the throttle tube cam rubs against the throttle housing (the part held together by two Allen-headed bolts).

Archived