The MT-07 Forum

Suspension for a fat guy

adaraas

bmwpowere36m3
you're keeping the OEM springs for a guy who weighs 180lbs? Poor choice. OEm is only passable for ~150 at most. 180 should be running .90 as a minimum and .95 would be better if aggressive rider (track use). Frankly a 150lb rider should equip their bike with .82-.85 vs the stock which is somewhere in the .7's.
Based on MT-07 service manual, the fork spring rate is 0.87 and shock is ~11 kg/mm. The MT-07 P/Ns for the fork springs are the same as US FZ-07, minus -00 at the very end.  The shock (spring N/A) however is a different P/N...
I'll be taking some sag measurements soon... but at ~190 lbs in gear, I'll likely need new springs.

There is no way the OEM fork spring is a 0.87. (you sourcing info from here? http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-824.html) It dives far too heavily for that. I would bow deeply and kiss the hand of a Yamaha engineer if they were to have put a 0.85 in there. No Japanese factory puts the right springs in their bikes unless you are ~140lb and even then...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

bmwpowere36m3
There is no way the OEM fork spring is a 0.87. (you sourcing info from here? http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-824.html) It dives far too heavily for that. I would bow deeply and kiss the hand of a Yamaha engineer if they were to have put a 0.85 in there. No Japanese factory puts the right springs in their bikes unless you are ~140lb and even then...

service manual mt-07

64893B4D-CA2A-4FEC-B33B-C9F4AEC1D2E9.jpg

@bmwpowere36m3 maybe in EU they actually have the 8.5N/mm springs (doubt it) but I don't know if any members here hail from the mother-country. @unknown can tell you there was a significant difference between pre-/post- upgrade in fork dive and going from 0.87 to 0.92 is barely enough for anyone to notice. I didn't keep the original springs I took out, so the next time I get a set I'll put 50lbs on the forks and measure how much it compresses and empirically calculate what is actually installed. It's not uncommon for service manuals to have misprints or be inconsistent with the finalized product's bill of materials.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat (and give you free springs).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

bmwpowere36m3
@bmwpowere36m3 maybe in EU they actually have the 8.5N/mm springs (doubt it) but I don't know if any members here hail from the mother-country. @unknown can tell you there was a significant difference between pre-/post- upgrade in fork dive and going from 0.87 to 0.92 is barely enough for anyone to notice. I didn't keep the original springs I took out, so the next time I get a set I'll put 50lbs on the forks and measure how much it compresses and empirically calculate what is actually installed. It's not uncommon for service manuals to have misprints or be inconsistent with the finalized product's bill of materials. 
If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat (and give you free springs).

Don't sweat it.... I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I know things get lost in "translation" in manuals or their simply wrong in certain cases.

On my DRZ-400 I went from 0.44 to 0.48 springs.... I noticed it, but it wasn't huge. However I also swapped the damper rod for cartridge forks at the same time.

I'll definitely be in contact as I'll be looking for springs and the cartridge DIY kit.

• Premium Member
if I confused anyone I had done a full traxxion damper kit on my bike and am installing set gold valves in a different bike
a coworker bought an fz after riding mine
also afer riding mine with the fork fixed he wanted to try just the valves
also for the record traxxion sent .95 spring in my kit and I am 250lbs
my coworker is like 180 that is why he wanted to start with just the valves
springs can be had if need
he will probably never ride the bike aggressive enough to need a full on race set up
nor will I, Im just fat
Please explain this in stupid terms..you replaced what with what? (links will help illustrate). I am around 230lbs with gear and I would like to know if I have to change something and how I do it.

that about says it all
except that kit is awesome
1m 250lbs and the bike handles way better then stock
very simple install and very effective
if you track the bike you may need more but I doubt it
installed 95 kg springs and maybe the yellow spring on the gold valve 3 turns in and oil at 110 mm from top
so kit goes bottom to top
damper rod, gold valve, spring, washer, spacer, washer, cap and oil
110 mm from top was I pint exactly each leg
very simple install
in fact this type kit will fix many under performing bikes not just sport oh ya Dan at Traxxion is great he also did my ctx 1300 with ak-20s
http://www.traxxion.com/Drop-In-Damper-Rod-and-Fork-Spring-Kit/

• Premium Member

so that replaced the guts from the forks but how about the rear suspension? or did I miss something..

nothing on the rear so far
in fact I turned down the rear spring to 3 and the bike is better then when I had it on full preload
I will probably do a shock on the rear but I just spent 1300 on the other bike also on the forks
so I need to slow the spending down
this set up made the bike a lot more rideable and no longer pushes through the corners
it is very firm but smooth over the bumps and seems to absorb them
also it dove like no other bike I ever owned and that is now gone
it was very soft on the front

before I dint want to take it into a corner it didn't feel right now I just send it in and power out
the bike is a blast
I think the fork first and test it to see what you need on the rear before you spend on both
the rear is not great but it will do for now
for me anyway

• Premium Member

good to know, it seems like this is plug and play type of upgrade, I think I will mess with my rear shock and see, I don't really fell any issues with the bike right now so I don't know..it may just be the fact I don't have experience in riding a bike that has been upgraded in the suspension department

I think it came from racetech
you only know the best suspension you have ridden
it really is cool how much better it can be
and I fully under stand mine is still very basic
for me this is a play bike and my people mover that gets used more often is the 2014 ctx1300

if you are over 200 lbs the fork needs to be much stiffer for control
even if its a simple spring swap
and that would take no more then a half hr

I think it was cruizin that said the first money spent on accessories should be suspension,   so that the bike fits you and your needs after doing 2 bikes forks I cant even tell you that is the best advice given on the net at 250lbs my bike should absolutely be set up different then a person 100 lbs lighter
riding this bike with the suspension fixed or at least repaired is like going from a buick lesabre to a mustang with track suspension if you rode our bikes with a fixed fork you would not hesitate to spend the money by "you" I mean anyone reading these forums good news is there are many guys on this forum willing to help in the suspension areawe sure have a lot of great options you just have to justify the price and how you will ride the bikethese are of course just opinions  

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
I think it was cruizin that said the first money spent on accessories should be suspension,   so that the bike fits you and your needs  

i have a friend who has a supersport with ohlins front/rear setup for his weight.  i'm a little heavy in my gear, but not by much.

that bike makes me superman. i can hop on it and burn a lap across my favorite mountain road and go like stink. but to me, it doesn't feel like i'm going like stink. it feels mildly brisk.

if i follow him on my bike, its drama. nothing but drama. i can't stand sport-riding the fz07.

so whoever said that is 100% right. put your money in suspension first.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived