The MT-07 Forum

Battery woes

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

So I hadn't ridden the bike in about 9 days and went to start it up today before swapping out the replacement LED headlight and got a unpleasant surprise. The instrument panel lights up and goes through its usual lightshow, but afterwards it displays the dreaded "Err" in the top left with "HI" down where the error code would be displayed for a CEL. It looked like the LCD display was flickering slightly so I assumed it might have been a low battery. I hooked up my multimeter, and sure enough, only saw 6.7V across the terminals. I've got it on the trickle charger now hoping I can breathe some life back into it since buying a new battery is not on my list of expenses for this paycheck.

Has anyone else seen a battery go nearly flat in such a short amount of time? My friend has a GSXR-750 that lived at a second house that would go a several weeks at a time without starting it and his bike would still kick over fine when we would go check in on things. Even my ancient KZ400 could go 2+ weeks without so much as a hiccup when starting it up again.

• Premium Member

I left my bike untouched for about three weeks this winter, and it's not given me any kind of issues. I was kicking myself thinking I dropped the ball and should have hooked up the trickle, but luckily no issues. I may have just been fortunate, it's hard to say definitively.

Do you have any aftermarket electrical accessories?

Everything went braap.

fooschnickens

All I have is a dongle for the battery tender so I don't have to pull the seat to put the alligator clips on it.

No problems with mine, but I've been on battery tender Jr. Since new, back in May 14.  
I learned my lesson with my last bike, Cbr1000rr, went through a few batteries before I added the Battery Tender.
good luck.....

I have a friend who's battery went tit's up two years ago an he is so cheap that he still hasn't replaced it and has to run then jump on it, put it in third gear and dump the clutch to get it running. It's funny as hell to see him outside the bar trying to get his bike running.

Batteries go tit's up alot and there is sometimes no ryme or reason. I have had stock batteries last five years and I have had new batteries go tits up after a month. And, I have had batteries go tit's up after being on a tender ea and every night. So, I'm not exactly sold on tenders either.

I'd say the battery had either a bad cell, or you have abnormal parasitic draw on your battery. Either way I'd assume it should be under warranty for either issue.
You can check for a draw yourself by removing the negative battery cable and running a amp meter in series between the neg cable and neg battery post.
25mA is the norm for auto's, Id guess it be less on the FZ.

fooschnickens

Yeah I didn't test for that since I wasn't in the mood to pull the seat. I'm about to go out and see if it's fairing any better. Hopefully it's not toast so I can ride this week. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I get paid next week to cover a new battery..

fooschnickens

Looks like the battery is toast. Left it on the charger all day and it just barely makes the starter buzz when I hit the ignition. Probably just as well, even though the exhaust came in today I wouldn't be able to ride it with all the storms we're having. Guess I'll pull it and run by the dealer tomorrow to see what can be done about it.

• Global Moderator

Wouldn't the battery be warrantied? I would contact your Yamaha dealer and explain your situation. I wouldn't pay for a new one.

fooschnickens
Wouldn't the battery be warrantied? I would contact your Yamaha dealer and explain your situation. I wouldn't pay for a new one.
Yeah that's the plan. I don't see why they wouldn't cover it, but I'm preparing for the worst just in case.  

Archived