The MT-07 Forum

GearBrake

so1102

• Premium Member

Came across this today http://gearbrake.com/ and I reached out to them to see if they have a harness for our bikes (kinda tire of soldering).  I'm considering this and will update everyone with a review if I end up getting one.

I tend to use engine braking quite a bit and I was thinking the other day that I would love to let cars behind me know when I was slowing quickly -- as we all know just how "attentive" cagers are these days.

This may just fit the bill!

• Premium Member

I was into these at first but my feeling is that they'll light up so much and so often that it will be annoying enough to ignore completely.

Like someone constantly tapping their brakes but not slowing down much. Eventually the driver behind catches on and ignores the flashing brakes since they stop indicating anything important.

Just my opinion though.. I just tap the front or rear lever if I'm slowing down a measurable amount, but not actually braking.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I was into these at first but my feeling is that they'll light up so much and so often that it will be annoying enough to ignore completely.  
Like someone constantly tapping their brakes but not slowing down much. Eventually the driver behind catches on and ignores the flashing brakes since they stop indicating anything important.

Just my opinion though.. I just tap the front or rear lever if I'm slowing down a measurable amount, but not actually braking.
I also almost always lightly tap the rear brakes whenever I use engine braking, thus triggering the brake even on a downshift. However, I can appreciate the advantage of a quick blinker on all kinds of decel, since it's probably not within the driver's control to ignore blinking lights (even if it's a really annoyed driver). That sort of quick change tends to trip the brain's attention trigger whether we want it to or not.

Do the other Yamaha models that they offer harnesses for have the same brake light plug? I know that many of them have the same turn signal plug.

fooschnickens

It claims that you can adjust the sensitivity of the unit so that it doesn't light up all the time, but I'd want to see one work in person before dropping $70+ on one. 
It's definitely a neat concept and one that would be very useful for us since the engine braking is so harsh.

• 9 months later...
Came across this today http://gearbrake.com/ and I reached out to them to see if they have a harness for our bikes (kinda tire of soldering).  I'm considering this and will update everyone with a review if I end up getting one. 
I tend to use engine braking quite a bit and I was thinking the other day that I would love to let cars behind me know when I was slowing quickly -- as we all know just how "attentive" cagers are these days.

Did you ever pick one of these up and if so how is it?  I see on their site they now have an FZ07 harness for 99$. 

• Premium Member

Did you ever pick one of these up and if so how is it?  I see on their site they now have an FZ07 harness for 99$.
I *did* pick one up and never actually installed it.  When I tried to install it the first time, their wiring harness was crap and fell apart -- they sent me a new one and said they had a "new guy" doing the wiring so I got a bad one.  Then I couldn't get it to work properly -- the brake light would not turn off.  Also for it to work properly the unit has to be perfectly parallel to the ground, so I couldn't find a good place to mount it without it being on an angle.  I should have returned it but I am notoriously bad about not returning things (and not following up on rebates, etc).  Live and learn. 
Now I don't want to say it won't work, but I couldn't get it to work for me, so I gave up.  YMMV.

I *did* pick one up and never actually installed it.  When I tried to install it the first time, their wiring harness was crap and fell apart -- they sent me a new one and said they had a "new guy" doing the wiring so I got a bad one.  Then I couldn't get it to work properly -- the brake light would not turn off.  Also for it to work properly the unit has to be perfectly parallel to the ground, so I couldn't find a good place to mount it without it being on an angle.  I should have returned it but I am notoriously bad about not returning things (and not following up on rebates, etc).  Live and learn. 
Now I don't want to say it won't work, but I couldn't get it to work for me, so I gave up.  YMMV.

LOL thanks for the heads up..  Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Archived