The MT-07 Forum

If you are new to riding, please get this book.

Cruizin

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
A good friend of mine is an instructor for Total Contol, and turned me on to Lee Park's book: "Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" - Great Book! 
Definitely not a beginners book, but then again, I totally don't think that the FZ-07 is a beginner bike.

Last April I took the Total Control class from Lee Parks himself. He fell in love with my 07 and used it to demo some of the drills. He also did my bikes first wheelie and didn't want to give me my bike back!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Finally got a copy of proficient motorcycling. The original copy of this book was written before any of the modern motorcycle physics research had been done. HOWEVER, I will read it first before I comment properly. This is a second edition ( copyright 2008) so hopefully it has been updated.
Of course rider/driver interaction unfortunately hasn't progressed as much as other things. What he has to say on that front won't have aged.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...

Finally got an I am reading through it.
I agree. It has been updated enough to be still relevant and, as a beginner street rider manual, it will allow you to tap into a vast lifetime of roadcraft experience. After you finish this one read ( or get the two dvd's. The second one is the better ) "Twist of the wrist" . ALL of it.
They cover different things. Both are vital to staying in one piece. Don't leave Code's book too long though as you will have to unlearn some habits.
Like the difference between a doctor and a surgeon. One helps you stay healthy the other cuts out the bad bits of your riding. ( OK that's kinda a streatch but you get the drift)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Im nowhere near 'mastering the ride' but I just started this book after reading David L Hough's previous publication "Proficient Motorcycling."
 Both are excellent invaluable reads for anyone on two or even four+ wheels. Get 'em and read 'em, twice.

[attachment id=1424" thumbnail="1]

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the book suggestions. Got the kindle version of "Proficient.." and been watching the Twist of the wrist videos on you tube. Trying to ingrain as much good habits early on as I can. I anticipate that I will be doing a fair bit of practice with the bike on a stand just to get riding positions and some muscle memory in place as a supplement to actual riding.

Archived