The MT-07 Forum

So my wife is on her second day of her MSF course.

SkH

• Premium Member

My buddy took the course 3 times with three different instructors so she shouldn't feel bad because she didn't pass the test the first time, in my class 60% failed, I was one of the lucky ones but a lot of people of different skills failed..so yeah..she shouldn't worry too much..

By the way, thanks for the responses everyone.

Sweet !  Congratulations.  
Has she figured out what kind of bike she'd prefer? A YZF-R3 would be an awesome choice of she doesn't mind fairing.

She originally always wanted something with a fairing.  This was long time ago.  But after owning the FZ07, my wife looked at a few sportbikes and commented on how she doesn't like how the front fairing obscured the triple tree from being visible.

But as it stands, guessing she's still going towards the fairing route.

We were looking into the R3 before she took the msf course, but OTD is 6k flat (already quoted) which is a good price compared to everyones OTD I've seen so far (unless I go to Canada or some state with no tax)  and she feels she needs to go even cheaper for her first bike just in case after her experience taking the msf course.  2014 Ninja 300s are going for 3999 right now, we might go that route, helps that it has a slip clutch so she doesn't lose the back end on a hard downshift which I'm guessing might happen with her.  OTD estimate will be 4800.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Has she figured out what kind of bike she'd prefer? A YZF-R3 would be an awesome choice of she doesn't mind fairing.

She originally always wanted something with a fairing.  This was long time ago.  But after owning the FZ07, my wife looked at a few sportbikes and commented on how she doesn't like how the front fairing obscured the triple tree from being visible. 

We were looking into the R3 before she took the msf course, but OTD is 6k flat (already quoted) which is a good price compared to everyones OTD I've seen so far (unless I go to Canada or some state with no tax)  and she feels she needs to go even cheaper for her first bike just in case after her experience taking the msf course.  2014 Ninja 300s are going for 3999 right now, we might go that route, helps that it has a slip clutch so she doesn't lose the back end on a hard downshift which I'm guessing might happen with her.  OTD estimate will be 4800.
Make sure you also look at the Hondas:  the 300F (naked) is around 4K, the 300R (with fairing) is around $4300, and the R250R is $4200.  Of course you could always get her a Grom too, but that might be unfair to her because you would always be riding her bike.  :D

they failed all the women in my wifes class when she took the test
when she came home crying I told her I have ridden with her enough to know shes good, took the test at the state a week later and she passed 100%
no Idea why they do crap like that
nope im not calling out msf course instructors im just sayin

• Premium Member
phicurious86
they failed all the women in my wifes class when she took the test when she came home crying I told her I have ridden with her enough to know shes good, took the test at the state a week later and she passed 100%
no Idea why they do crap like that
nope im not calling out msf course instructors im just sayin
My impression from my test was that it was a bit of a boys club, but we also had a great woman instructor to help balance out the male machismo.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

The Honda CB500s are also great bikes. I started on a CB500F. I couldn't really get in too much trouble on it, but it had some smile inducing pep, an engine you really couldn't stall if you wanted to (I got the bike going in 4th at a stop light during the 1st month x_x) and was really comfortable to ride given the riding position. If you were near Phoenix I'd give you a deal on the one I'm trying to sell.

Depending on where you live you could also get some pretty great deals on year old 300s with lots of aftermarket extras via craigslist.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My first bike was a Honda Rebel; yeah, the one I took the msf class on. I barely passed at the bottom of my class along with the FBI agent who took it at the same time. LOL! The Rebel can't get out of its own way but I honed all my skills and slowly improved. It took almost three months before I felt I earned the endorsement. A Rebel is very forgiving of mistakes and simple to ride. Also very easy to resell when you're done with it. I grew to love that little bike and was sad to see it go.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Wow. I'm surprised to see that so many people have or known someone who has failed this course. When I took it, there was this woman who should not have passed under any circumstances. She almost dropped the bike more than once, was very jerky with the throttle and didn't seem to know how to use the clutch and after the driven part of the test was over, I was very surprised to find out she got the endorsement card. I actually felt scared knowing she would be on the road on a motorcycle. Haha When I took the test though I got a 100% on the written portion and a perfect score on the driven portion. The instructors actually asked me if I wanted to be an instructor for the class. I told them I was only 18 and you have to be 21 to teach. They said when I turn 21 if I don't have any speeding tickets or anything to come back and sign up to get trained to teach the course. Its a weekend job that would be pretty easy and would put some money in my bank account and I would strongly consider doing it. haha

• Global Moderator

When I took it all the instructions had been riding for many years. The guy doing the demos was dragging pegs at one point (he was showing off a bit near the end of the second day of riding).

Wow. I'm surprised to see that so many people have or known someone who has failed this course. When I took it, there was this woman who should not have passed under any circumstances. She almost dropped the bike more than once, was very jerky with the throttle and didn't seem to know how to use the clutch and after the driven part of the test was over, I was very surprised to find out she got the endorsement card. I actually felt scared knowing she would be on the road on a motorcycle. Haha When I took the test though I got a 100% on the written portion and a perfect score on the driven portion. The instructors actually asked me if I wanted to be an instructor for the class. I told them I was only 18 and you have to be 21 to teach. They said when I turn 21 if I don't have any speeding tickets or anything to come back and sign up to get trained to teach the course. Its a weekend job that would be pretty easy and would put some money in my bank account and I would strongly consider doing it. haha
Just look at the DMV when it comes to cars.  They pass essentially everyone and as a result, we have a very high rate of auto accidents in this country.  It is partly due to human nature, the aforementioned lack of skill and inattentive drivers but i do believe we are far too lenient with our standards.

That new 300cc Yamaha is gonna be a really nice bike, but $6k out the door sounds pretty steep to me as well.

But there will likely be some folk out there looking to upgrade from the CBR250 or a Kaw Ninja 250/300. Point being - you might find a lightly used bike in that class for her to get her feet wet for a year or 2. It'll cost less going in and she won't feel as bad when/if that tip-over happens. Gravity never does quit.

just a thought.

kristianjeppe

Too bad you don't have the Mt03 in the states, fun bike which won't surprise you with power. But still makes enough to be fun. My girlfriend tried one and loved it. Btw she's 165cm and 50kg's so she doesn't have the raw power needed for bigger bikes. haven't got her license yet but starting her training in the summer.
A kwak 300 will only be fun for a year or so and then she will want to move on to more power. But it's a great introduction bike, and will supply her with a lot of confidence.

Archived