The MT-07 Forum

Air Filter

Beemer

I'm looking to get a new air filter for my 07 but apparently, K&N doesn't make one so can anyone recommend a different, 'High Performance" brand. (preferably washable) Thanks!

Beemer

squintyeyes

I'm also interested in one, but the only company that makes them are DNA filters i believe out of greece and there close to $90 for just a air filter. For the mean time i just removed the snorkel cover on the airbox to improve flow.

I'm also interested in one, but the only company that makes them are DNA filters i believe out of greece and there close to $90 for just a air filter. For the mean time i just removed the snorkel cover on the airbox to improve flow.
Do you have to tune your engine when increasing the air flow or is there no danger of damaging your engine when you do that alone?

Beemer

squintyeyes
Do you have to tune your engine when increasing the air flow or is there no danger of damaging your engine when you do that alone?
Yes you have to either remap or add fuel controller because your bike is already running lean from the factory to pass EPA standards so adding more air would make it run even more lean. I have a EJK and Yoshi exhaust on mine so thats why i took off snorkel for more airflow. 

I was waiting to see what you would say. Some think that if it runs ok it is ok and you don't have to do anything else but you're not one of them.  ;)

Beemer

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

K & N says they do have an air filter:

K&N YA-6814

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

squintyeyes
I was waiting to see what you would say. Some think that if it runs ok it is ok and you don't have to do anything else but you're not one of them.  ;)
I think it all depends what you are running also but yea that why I choose to believe and it makes sense also that is what The Done I guys told me and they make the ejk fuel controller

K & N says they do have an air filter: 
K&N YA-6814

woah that is definitely new, I'm gonna see who has it in stock online and buy now lol
Ha! When I went to K&N's web site and typed in my model bike it came up negative for a filter so in their suggestion box I suggested they make one for the FZ 07. So now they've sent me an email with the part # saying they do have it in stock and gave me the part # YA-6814, as was mentioned by Snowdriftless (thank you). I just ordered one along with the cleaning kit from K&N with my PayPal ... a few decals as well. Now I have to find out how to adjust for it on my EJK with snorkel off (even more air) if that's ok to do. I guess the guys at Dobeck can answer that one.

Beemer

squintyeyes
woah that is definitely new, I'm gonna see who has it in stock online and buy now lol
Ha! When I went to K&N's web site and typed in my model bike it came up negative for a filter so in their suggestion box I suggested they make one for the FZ 07. So now they've sent me an email with the part # saying they do have it in stock and gave me the part # YA-6814, as was mentioned by Snowdriftless (thank you). I just ordered one along with the cleaning kit from K&N with my PayPal ... a few decals as well. Now I have to find out how to adjust for it on my EJK with snorkel off (even more air) if that's ok to do. I guess the guys at Dobeck can answer that one.
Yea i have been definitely waiting patiently and even tweeted them at one point lol. I have one coming straight from K&N and i plan on using some steel mesh on top of the filter with no snorkel to give it a little protection from the elements. 

I wants!!!! But isnt it worst on a bike? Like dust particles and stuff getting in more causing wear and tear ie: piston walls? Or is that just a myth?

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Perhaps this is recent....
K&N # YA-6814 ....for fz07

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

It came out a little while ago, but yep..
that's it.

Given a stock paper filter is like $30, I totally recommend this.

Everything went braap.

• 1 year later...

This is just a heads up for anyone re-lubing their K&N air filter. Make sure after you re-lube it you check and remove any excess oil that may've dripped down the filter walls and into the base before you try putting it back into the air box. I rode my bike the day after I re-lubed my filter and found that some excess oil had dripped onto the outside of the air box when putting the filter back in the air box and the wind blew it onto my disc brake and No REAR BRAKE! I simply used some brake cleaner to remedy that and the brake works like new again so beware when re-lubing.

Beemer

Yeah, the KN has been out for a while - I've had mine for over a year.

I'd recommend the MWR, esp if you are going to leave the snorkel/internal baffle in place. It too is expensive, but it has higher performance than the KN or stock, and I also believe the DNA. The reason is that it has another flow surface (the bottom) that is closed on all other options. If you're going to keep the internal baffle and snorkel, this is a big deal, as it allows the internal baffle to blow directly onto the surface. Otherwise, it has to turn 90-180 degrees to go back up and out the baffle to hit the filtered surface.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd get one too. As of now I have the KN, and I don't believe it flows different enough vs. the stock to warrant jetting changes. If you're adding a pipe or modifying snorkel/internal baffle, then maybe. But it's pretty close to the stock if everything else is stock. In short, if you only make the change to the air filter, no changes are needed to the FI.

I'm hoping that @bellissimoto will have a beginning of season sale, then I'll get one . . . ;-)

bellissimoto
Yeah, the KN has been out for a while - I've had mine for over a year. 
I'd recommend the MWR, esp if you are going to leave the snorkel/internal baffle in place. It too is expensive, but it has higher performance than the KN or stock, and I also believe the DNA. The reason is that it has another flow surface (the bottom) that is closed on all other options. If you're going to keep the internal baffle and snorkel, this is a big deal, as it allows the internal baffle to blow directly onto the surface. Otherwise, it has to turn 90-180 degrees to go back up and out the baffle to hit the filtered surface.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd get one too. As of now I have the KN, and I don't believe it flows different enough vs. the stock to warrant jetting changes. If you're adding a pipe or modifying snorkel/internal baffle, then maybe. But it's pretty close to the stock if everything else is stock. In short, if you only make the change to the air filter, no changes are needed to the FI.

I'm hoping that @bellissimoto will have a beginning of season sale, then I'll get one . . . ;-)
The MWR filter DOES have higher performance than DNA.  My dyno testing proved it.  And check this out, I had Greg Spears of Spears Enterprises/Spears Racing test the Racing version of the filter on the Yamaha R3 against the well regarded BMC.  The MWR Race filter killed it!  Made 1 hp more at it's peak, and get this, 3hp more throughout a much wider rev range!  3hp on a bike that only makes 37hp is huge!   
MWR is working on getting me a Race version of the FZ-07 filter to test, along with a new filter cover.  They sent me the prototype of the filter cover, but to avoid two trips to the dyno I'm still waiting on the Race filter to arrive :)

I forsee the new filter cover with the Race filter will be the highest performing combo with the stock airbox, which is nice for people wanting to shield their filters away from the elements.

As for prices, you know @sansnombre I do discounts for forum members right?

:D

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

No, I didn't know about the discounts for forum members - how do we go about getting that? @bellissimoto

You know, it should kinda be a gut-level, no brainer about the MWR. It has a notably higher surface area than the other options, so if the permeability of the filters are similar, it follows that it should flow more, esp with the way that internal baffle works - it will now exhaust right on top of that new surface. So it doesn't surprise me that it works better. I need to get one.

Impressive notes about it's performance, but I remember seeing another member post his dyno runs with very specific setups and setup changes and his feedback on the MWR was definitive - it's definitely better than the others, no question.

Now about that new MWR cover - what does it look like? External shaping element, like a velocity stack, or more similar to the DNA? Any chance you can post a picture of it? When do you think they'll be releasing it? (I know it's prototype, but I'm very curious about what direction their going)

Cheers

bellissimoto
No, I didn't know about the discounts for forum members - how do we go about getting that? @bellissimoto  
You know, it should kinda be a gut-level, no brainer about the MWR. It has a notably higher surface area than the other options, so if the permeability of the filters are similar, it follows that it should flow more, esp with the way that internal baffle works - it will now exhaust right on top of that new surface. So it doesn't surprise me that it works better. I need to get one.

Impressive notes about it's performance, but I remember seeing another member post his dyno runs with very specific setups and setup changes and his feedback on the MWR was definitive - it's definitely better than the others, no question.

Now about that new MWR cover - what does it look like? External shaping element, like a velocity stack, or more similar to the DNA? Any chance you can post a picture of it? When do you think they'll be releasing it? (I know it's prototype, but I'm very curious about what direction their going)

Cheers
All you have to do is PM me :) 
As for the member posting the dyno runs with specific set ups, that was me :)

When I went to go do my 8K mile service, I was going to just buy another DNA filter, until my Boss was like..."Why aren't you using what we sell?".  I thought to myself, it's just a foam filter, how good can it be?  So I decided to get both and see in fact which was better.  I had to know, because I'll never push a product I wouldn't use myself or didn't believe in.  I'm an enthusiast first, an employee second (don't tell anyone I said that, lol).

Anyway, so I tested them, and in fact, the MWR was better...in every respect.  I couldn't believe it.  And then when I sent the R3 Race filter to Greg Spears of Spears Racing/Spears Enterprises, he found the MWR to be better than the BMC filter, by a good margin.

Since we are the importer and distributor for MWR, we have a great relationship, and the prototype filter cover I asked them to make looks very promising.  I can't release pics just yet, but I can tell you it's much less material than the DNA cover, (so it's lighter) and the opening is square to match the square opening of the MWR filter (allowing even more air to come in), with radiused edges for smooth airflow entry.

:)

- Paul

Archived