The MT-07 Forum

Bike Security

V8titanpwr

• Global Moderator
My wife refuses to let me keep mine in the house :(.

Believe it or not but yesterday my wife more or less allowed me to park the bike in our living room for the winter.  :o 

She only insisted that it should be parked on a blanket but I suggested maybe some plywood would be better for our oak floor.

• Global Moderator

I need to get your wife to talk to mine. On second thought I doubt it would make any difference...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Call me crazy, but i don't worry about theft very much. I keep my truck unlocked at my house. my bike is in my garage, but when i go somewhere, and park to eat, or shop, or just walk around the park or something, i really never think about theft. In my eyes, it's just something else to stress about. That's what insurance is for. Alarm, chain, lock, doesn't matter....they will get it if they want, especially a light bike like this.

I won't voluntarily park it in a high theft area with the key in it, begging for it to get stolen, but i wont really go out of my way to put anything on the bike to help prevent/deter it. Deterrents may work for that purpose, but what if they start pulling on wires to try to turn the alarm off, or they hammer the lock off, and screw up the rim/brakes......then they leave beacuse it was too hard to steal......now you got a beat down bike, that is probably better off stolen. anyway, just my thoughts. everyone knows what opinions are like :D

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• Premium Member

Thanks @jerryv for sharing the article. I always wondered why bikes in gated apartment complexes seemed to be targeted and this definitely made sense.

I do have a disc lock, but rarely use it. I tend to be in places I don't feel too worried about.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i just installed the Gorilla 9000 system on mine not even 30min ago. Haven't had the chance to adjust the sensitivity of the shock sensor yet but the tilt sensor is working fine. VERY LOUD. Got myself a spot trace gps tracker as well... trying to see where i should put it. Now i'm looking into getting a Xena as a visual deterrent.

edit: just found out that for summer 2015, Spot products are half priced with a mail in rebate. I just filled mine out and thought i'd share with anyone who was looking for a similar product :)

I know you love my pearl white FZ 07, you want it bad and I'm not telling you how easy or hard it is to steal when I'm away.  8-| See, white one's rock!

Beemer

Watched a video of a sportbike getting stolen a while back. Three guys in a minivan double parked. Two husky guys got out the side door and manhandled the sportbike into the van. This was during the day on a busy street. Happens fast.
The 07 would be an easy target considering its light weight and compact dimensions.

Disk lock would have been no help. Alarmed disk lock would help if the thief doesn't smother it with duct tape first.

Cabling the bike to something or another bike is better.

I still have an old gorilla alarm that was very reliable. Unfortunately, pieces of it have disappeared. Besides I think it is too big to install on a 07.

I had one of those Chinese paging alarms(scorpio wannabe) that was a POS.

If I'm overnighting at a hotel/motel, I get permission to park in view of the front desk.

I don't worry at home.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Getting a cable tomorrow, wanted a heavy chain that would take gargantuan bolt cutters or an angle grinder to get off, but that'd screw up any metal I kept putting on and taking off, so cable it is and I'll just coil it up on the back seat.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Getting a cable tomorrow, wanted a heavy chain that would take gargantuan bolt cutters or an angle grinder to get off, but that'd screw up any metal I kept putting on and taking off, so cable it is and I'll just coil it up on the back seat.

This chain here with the black fabric over it is your answer. Been using the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chains for years now it has never scratched up my bike. A bit on the expensive side but well worth it.
1c4b35206b7aa5c268a2bfb055a83a3c.jpg

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

This chain here with the black fabric over it is your answer. Been using the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chains for years now it has never scratched up my bike. A bit on the expensive side but well worth it. 1c4b35206b7aa5c268a2bfb055a83a3c.jpg
That's the exact chain I was looking at

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I'm looking at ABUS products because after a bit of research last night... seems like kryptonite locks are, relatively speaking, easier to get through

Abus definitely is harder to get through... with your own key. I own an abus disc lock and its a pain in the ass. Not sure if it is because my key was cut so poorly or if that is how the company locks are in general but I spend an extra 10 seconds trying to get to key to work properly.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 6 months later...

I have recently looked at bike chains and locks. I was interested in learning lock picking as a hobby so I am subscribed to a few lock picking youtubers and have seen them pick locks in seconds or take 10 minutes so that was the first place I looked and there are a few videos of them picking krypronite locks and I found a video of a company cutting the fahgetaboutit chain from krypronite in like 20 seconds it was us 18 or something but it was not hard to get pass.

So after searching around I decided to get this - >http://www.amazon.com/Onguard-Beast-Chain-Lock-Padlock/dp/B0090C4MVW

Not many reviews out there and I found one video of the lock on this being picked but the guy said it took him awhile. To learn how to pick it and still took like 10 mins with the lock cylinder out of the lock to pick it. There's also one video of a guy jumping up and down on bolt cuters trying to cut the chain without making progress but power tools can get through it eventually so take it for what it's worth.

I'll make a thread in a month or two of my security set up which in my minds pretty smart and a great detergent it's sorta a pain in the ass but I work hard for my stuff and won't let you take it easily.

Can't a pro just strip a bike and leave a chain or whatever still attached to the bike?
 A pro can strip the bike if the chain if fixed to a portion of the bike if it is removable, Such as the swing arm, tires, around the forks because once the tires are gone it will just slide off. They can also strip it and leave the chain if they can remove the chain from whatever it is tied to such as lifting it above a short pole.  They will leave the chain attached if they have not broken the chain or lock that is attached to an immovable object, and a long removeale process from the bike, because the bike would have to be stripped on the spot it is tied to, as it can not leave the area. For example, if you put a chain through the frame, and the other end to a concrete pillar, odds are they are not gonna strip the bike completely down to just the frame within 10 minutes to steal the parts off your bike and leave the frame. Nor will they be able to leave the chain attached to the bike and drive off without breaking it nor the lock. Unless of course you just don't anchor it to anything.

Can't a pro just strip a bike and leave a chain or whatever still attached to the bike?
 A pro can strip the bike if the chain if fixed to a portion of the bike if it is removable, Such as the swing arm, tires, around the forks because once the tires are gone it will just slide off. They can also strip it and leave the chain if they can remove the chain from whatever it is tied to such as lifting it above a short pole.  They will leave the chain attached if they have not broken the chain or lock that is attached to an immovable object, and a long removeale process from the bike, because the bike would have to be stripped on the spot it is tied to, as it can not leave the area. For example, if you put a chain through the frame, and the other end to a concrete pillar, odds are they are not gonna strip the bike completely down to just the frame within 10 minutes to steal the parts off your bike and leave the frame. Nor will they be able to leave the chain attached to the bike and drive off without breaking it nor the lock. Unless of course you just don't anchor it to anything.
That's what I figured as well. It would probably depend on the area the bike is parked in, how comfortable they feel as to whether they would spend a fair amount of time stripping a bike for parts or trying to get past any security device. So realistically, to have anything anywhere close to 100% secure they would either have to park it in a high traffic area with the very best stuff or have someone constantly sitting on it or next to it where thieves can see them watching over it. It's a tough one for sure!

Beemer

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I use this ABUS disc lock. Feels heavy duty, the alarm gets triggered very easily and it's really loud, shreeks like crazy. Connect a bright lock reminder to it to prevent headaches if you're forgetful.

http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Granit-Detecto-X-Plus-Alarm/dp/B00HUKQHEG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453793743&sr=8-2&keywords=abus+disc+lock

Guest 2wheeler

If you are looking for a lock in general, I can highly recommend the padlocks by Abloy out of Finland. They are supposedly unpickable, and are built like a tank. You can easily get all your locks keyed to the same key of which there are supposedly over a million key cut variations. I've been using two of these locks for over 10 years - one for a storage facility and the other in combination with a Kryptonite chain. I have the PL340 and PL342 - Awesome locks! The PL340 weighs a ton, and my friends always are shocked at how heavy it is. The storage facility lock has spent years in the rain/snow/etc, and doesn't seen to rust at all. These locks do not have any springs and use a dual ball detent configuration meaning that you would need to cut the shackle twice to gain entry. The last perk is that you must remove the key to lock it.

Here's the link which is a pain as you need to click on the "Brochure and spec" link to actually see the locks:

http://www.abloyusa.com/padlock.htm

Archived