The MT-07 Forum

Learning as I go. Wanting to be a pro.

cjs247

I'm a new rider on a new bike. I'm 32 and patient with my riding skill set. I'm literally taking it one step at a time. I've had the bike for 1 week and have put 130 miles on it, half of which were riding around the neighborhood.  I've just started to venture out on to main streets. Like I say I'm taking it slow and enjoying learning to ride. I plan on taking a riding class some time soon. Currently I have a learners permit. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone. As someone who doesn't know a whole lot about riding, learning on this bike seems to be coming pretty easy. 

The he only thing I have done to the bike so far is add Graves frame sliders. I've also picked up a good helmet and a jacket with some armor. 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome cjs247! Glad you're taking it slow and enjoying the bike! What color did you get?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Welcome, i picked up my FZ as my first bike too. I took an msf course first so i rode their sherpas for a couple days first. The FZ07 been a great bike for me, i'm lovin it

Welcome and thanks for joining us. Keep riding your own pace, staying comfortable. Avoid riding with faster riders that take chances. Remember to look thru the corners, at where your exit is and where you want to go, never look at the obstacles cause your bike will always go wherever you are looking ahead to.

If ya hit a corner too fast, leave the brake alone cause it will always stand you and the bike up straight. If ya do hit a corner too fast, don't panic, just lean more and you will be suprised at how far you really can lean!

Have fun and keep sharing your experiences!

Definitely take the course. There are things you will learn in there that would not have the balls to do yourself on the FZ07 as a super beginner. Like swerving or sudden braking. It will raise your confidence and skills two-fold!

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

suspiciouspackage

Emergency braking is probably one of the most fun things you can do. That, swerving, and just general turning is fun. Probably end up like me who insists on taking their sweeping corner at 20mph when everyone barely goes 10.

• Premium Member

You are on the right coarse. Great bike, great attitude. A couple things I always have to remind myself of: Smooth Throttle, not too much rear brake, and COUNTER STEER! I keep trying to get the counter steering thing to become instinct. It has saved me a few times when coming into a corner a little too hot and feeling like I wasn't going to make it. Push that inside bar grip and it will tighten up your turn.

Why can't left turners see us?

But, to clarify, braking when in a corner stands the bike up, which keep you from being able to lean and turn. Now, after you have been riding a couple years, you can learn how to trail brake in corners with your rear brake, but I don't suggest it until you get leaning down and backing into corners.

And, these guys are right, take the course. Then, go back and take the advanced course. It can save your life.

• Global Moderator

Hi @cjs247, great to have you here. Like others said, take it easy and enjoy yourself. Good idea to join the forum too, lots of people eager to help out. Feel free to ask questions, we've all been there.

Guest Ralph

So can you guy's just buy a bike of any size and just go ride it?
no training bike test just get one and ride?
Welcome to the forum, a genuine and helpful lot on here.

• Premium Member

Welcome! It sounds like you are doing things the right way. Take your time, definitely go to the class(es), and wear ATGATT -- all the gear all the time.

• Global Moderator

Watch "Twist of the Wrist 2" by Keith Code. Just search for it on YouTube. It has a lot of great information (and very cheesy acting).

• Global Moderator
So can you guy's just buy a bike of any size and just go ride it? no training bike test just get one and ride?
In my state you can buy a Ducati Panigale 1299, and as long as you have passed a very easy written test to get a motorcycle learners permit you are good to go. We also have people wrapping very fast motorcycles around trees. 

So can you guy's just buy a bike of any size and just go ride it? no training bike test just get one and ride?
I have a neighbor kid, maybe 17, dunno, anyway, his dad got him a sv650, and he just rode it around the neighborhood the last summer for months. Just going in circles. No permit or anything. These days I see him riding out in the street so guessing he either got a permit or got his endorsement.

But yes, out here you are free to start on any size motorcycle by passing as @mjh937 mentioned, a very easy 25+ question multiple choice test setting you back around 30 dollars (but differs from state to state).  You get a permit valid for 90 days.  You are free to kill yourself with a Kawasaki H2 as your first ever bike if that is your choice.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

Yes, a 16 year old will out a 'questionaire' and do an eye test in Canada and you are good to go. crazy.gif
No passengers allowed and no highways and valid for 90 days.  

Then you will have to do your M2 (basic manoeuvres on a parking lot), valid 22 months. Do a course and it's 18 months. Then finally your full M. 

Guest Ralph

Not like here then to be honest they are now so complicated I would have to
read up on them to even give you a taste of what they are like but they keep
re ashing them every few years, by the time you have a license for a full power
07 you are looking at a lot of time and expense and miles, it's why we have lots of older
riders, even when I passed I was limited to a 250 till I did a driving test and
that was 40 years back, it does explain and I don't mean this in a bad way some
of the questions ask on motorcycle forums, somewhere between the two leaning more
towards you would likely be better all round.

• Premium Member

In Utah it seems to be a reasonable approach. Pass the Motorcycle Safety Coarse (certificate required), and you can skip the riding part of the exam. You still have to pass the written exam. It is a great incentive for people to take the MSF coarse.

Why can't left turners see us?

So in Ohio when I got my licence about 15 years ago, I did a lot like others described... Got my learner's permit via the written test, rode around on that for a month or two, then took the skills test (which is the same skills test you take in the MSF course) and got my full endorsement.

When I moved to Tennessee, I had gotten rid of my bike and so I didn't think to even have my M endorsement transferred. So, I had to start all over. Talk about a joke... I literally bought a bike on Saturday, went to the BMV on Monday, took the written test, rode around the BMV building in the parking lot (unsupervised) and got my FULL M endorsement. I seriously laughed and asked if they were for real... That was it?

What's worse... Before the "road" test, the lady asked me to show here where a few things were, like the turn signals and the clutch. I joked with her... "Do you even know what a clutch is?" and she replied "Nope!" ha! Clueless!

Now, granted I've been riding for a good while and know what I'm doing, but good lord... It seems like they'll give an M endorsement to anyone that can pass the written test and not drop the bike in the parking lot here.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

We are having a record bike death start of the riding season in Idaho this year. So many already dead. Ton's of no helmet wrecks and Harleys going straight off into the trees.

Riding safety courses should become mandatory. So many Families grieving the loss of loved ones killed by stupid mistakes.

I swear, the road that I love to ride here looks like this lately.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/ninaudp/Tail-of-the-Dragonmashup_zps2zxvjeeb.jpg

Guest Ralph

What can happen here is someone like me that passed there test in the 60's but then gave up bikes
retires and get another bike but as they have a full licence goes for some 200 hp beast, then gets
caught out by the speed, I have always had bikes so am reasonably up to speed, but due to the system
most new riders have a good idea of what they are about even though I think it's a bit over the top
and makes getting a licence so much trouble and expense that many just buy a car.

kristianjeppe

Well let me tell you a bit about the Danish rules then. (For those too lazy to Google, it's a small country in Europe)

At 18 you are allowed to drive a 125cm3 with max effect of 11kw.
At 20 you can drive a bike with a max effect of 35kw no limitations on cm3
At 24 there is no limit but if you've already had the medium license for 2 years the unlimited can be had after an skill test with a big bike.

To obtain any of these licenses you will need to go through a driving education first with a minimum of 29 theoretical classes and 22 driving classes each class must be documented by an legal driving instructor.

The theoretical and practical test is monitored by a police officer specifically trained for this.
Other than these requirements you will need to have a health statement, and have passed a first aid class.

So you are quite easy off regarding the test you have to pass.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome! Take an MSF course, easiest way to learn skills and theory of motorcycle riding.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

The MSF course is not helpful will skills, but lowers your insurance cost and as added bonus it adds confidence.. as for gear make sure you were pants too, people tend to forget about protecting their legs on motorcycles. Enjoy the new bike! the FZ-07 is great as anyone's first bike and it seems is fairly easy to maintain and make safe (adding LEDs, etc).

Archived