The MT-07 Forum

Please help me decide!

yamagrip

Good advice so far guys, thanks. I've pretty much already decided. I just want to hear all the great things about this bike to reinforce my decision! I am 44 and a new rider as of July last year. My first bike, and current ride, is an '83 Honda Goldwing 1100, which my father had for 30 years and passed down to me. I took right to it, completed the rider safety course, I logged over 4000 miles in about 4 months and I'm completely obsessed with bikes now. Since I already have a touring bike, I wanted to find something more peppy and nimble for my second ride. I have no doubt I'll be happy with the fz-07. Btw is there a way to post pics from my iPad? Thanks again. Looking forward to exploring this forum.

Exactly what I did. Had the goldwing for two weeks, but missed the old fz1 I had sold. Went out the following weekend (after some phone negotiations ) and bought the fz07. Could not be happier.
Added some frame sliders and I am done for now. I'll wait about 5000 miles, then see if I need any mods.

Every article I've read about extended warranties said they aren't worth it for the simple fact that if anything is going to go wrong it, it most likely will within the first year so it's covered already. Don't waste your money.

Beemer

Yama, I'm a fresh rider too (27) and I love this bike to death. I had two tremendous fears when purchasing: (a) If I buy a 250/500, am I going to wish I had more power in a few months when I gain some confidence? (b) Is a 700 going to be too much and get me in trouble or an accident?. I am so glad I veered away from a 250/500, I truly believe I would have gotten bored or yearned for a stronger acceleration and top end. The 07 doesn't scare me at all either. I've put about 1200m on in a month and I absolutely love the thing. I'm pushing it now at stoplights, pulling a bit heavier on the throttle, and just having a blast. I can keep up with my friends or riders I meet when I take short trips, even when we hit highways and are cruising at 70-90mph. It's smooth.  
My only word of advice, the wind. You will get used to it, when I first hit 85mph, the wind was crazy and it made me really uncomfortable. Now though, the wind barely bothers me. I just tuck in a bit and I'm good to go. I've only ever hit a little over 100mph, while it was noticeable, I didn't feel unsafe in the least.

Enjoy the bike and Welcome to the Forums!
I had a gs500 for 6 years and rode it for 42000 miles before selling it. To me "you'll out grow this bike" is only valid if u like going straight. I could out maneuver my friends R1 and 1098 on that 500 any day. That said the fz07 is a very similar bike just with more power and no freaking carbs to deal with. OP I think u will enjoy any bikes you get so just get the one you like.
I should have probably noted this better, but I live in Tampa and drive on both the HWY60 and the Gandy Bridge multiple times a week. Anyone familiar with the area knows that during traffic times, speeds under 75-80 can cause some trouble.  

• Premium Member
Yes haze, the wind will take some getting used to, especially when my experience has been on my Goldwing. I was able to get over 80 yesterday and it's a totally different feel but I love it! Another adjustment is the directional switch. On my Goldwing they turn off automatically so I have to remember to manually switch them off. Sorry about the off topic guys but I didn't see it in another thread:
I ride with work boots and found it challenging to get my toe between the peg and the gear shift. Has anyone made adjustments with different rear sets because of this?
I had to adjust the shift pedal higher, since it was sitting too low for me and made it difficult to get my foot under the shift pedal.  After I raised the shift pedal higher, shifting is much easier now. There is a shift rod that is connected to the shift pedal. You need to loosen both locknuts on the shift rod and rotate the shift rod clockwise or counter-clockwise to raise or lower the shift pedal.  I forget which direction does what, but once you do it you will see for yourself.  When proper shift pedal height is achieved, don't forget to tighten both locknuts on the shift rod.   

Thank you that did it! I should have noticed that adjusting rod!

merlinator13

This bike was my absolute first motorcycle I have ever sat on, only been on a Vespa previous and that's all! This thing is a torque monster and it scared the shit out of me the first time I hoped on, but I believe fear is good because it gives respect which is well deserved by this machine! At least in my eyes. Once I got comfy with everything, now it's burned into my brain it's smooth it's quick it's comfortable!!! I respect it and it respects me! I think that's the main thing to ridng in general! Now I'm confused when I don't ride it, I'm always looking to shift in my Ram and get a sad face when I realize I'm back in my winter suit (due to the damn weather) (btw I love my ram very much, don't get jealous ramy)!!!

The Dox

Archived