The MT-07 Forum

Please help me decide!

yamagrip

• Premium Member

I've been researching bikes all winter. I kept coming back to the FZ-07. I love the styling and great reviews. Today I went to an open house at MOMs in Manchester, NH and saw it in person for the first time. They had my favorite color scheme, Liquid Graphite. They didn't have any demos to ride but I sat on it, fell in love and put a deposit down. In my area there are not many available. I got approved for financing and I have until Monday to decide. Please help. It's very hard for me to buy something I've never ridden. Also with charges and fees its up to $7400. Anyone had any luck haggling? Plus what do you all think about the $590 5 year warranty. Thanks in advance, D

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome yamagrip! Tell us how much riding experience you have. The 07 isn't the best beginner bike. It has been done though. The bike is still new and in demand, especially now that spring has arrived. Some people have gotten good deals. Check out this pricing thread.  Paying for the warranty is up to you. I got three years free for test riding. It would depend on how long you intend to keep the bike and how mechanically inclined you are. I doubt you would regret buying this bike though, it's fantastic!

Illegitimi non carborundum

massdave3300

Bought mine a couple fo weeks ago from Razee's in RI.  Your price is good.  They don't always make that much on new bickes, and the dealers have to pay the shipping themselves.  They do have to pass this on to us, the buyers.  
Considering that the Fz-07 is one of the "hot bikes" for this year, 7400 seems like a good price.  I went as far as to call a dealer in Long Island, NY, who advertised the bike @ 6400.  Found out that they charge an additional 1000 before its out the door! (can you say deceptive advertising!)
As far as the Fz-07, it's a fantastic bike for the price!  Excellent bang for the buck!!!
I've had over 25 bikes in my 40 years of riding.  Still have 3 others.  Can't wait to get this one broken in and do a track day with it!
My advice is to not wait and bring it home this week before someone else does!
Best of luck!  Please let us know how you make out!

I think you should get a new Ninja H-2.

Seriously, why would you ask us? This is the FZ-07 forum, do ya think we will say, no, get a Harley instead?

You have it down to a good price. Warranty? I never buy extra warranties but I'd hate to tell ya not to get it and then have something blow up.

Tell em you will get the warranty if they drop the Bike price down to $6,995.00

• Premium Member

If it is $7400 OTD, that is a very fair to very good price in my opinion. But you may want to check the pricing thread to see if owners in your area may have posted what they paid. As I see it, anything below the prices CA riders have to pay is all good! 

Buying without a test ride seems really odd, but many of us did exactly that - including me. Like you, I read about it, went to look at it/sit on it, and it was a done deal - total leap of faith and I have had zero buyers remorse. (there is a poll in this forum on who test rode before they bought.)

I did not get the extended warranty on the FZ07, but I have bought it on other items. If you think it will give you peace of mind, I would say do it. My dealer said I did not have to decide at the point of sale (I think they said I could buy it anytime before the end of the 1st year), so if you are on the fence about it, ask your dealer how long you have to make the decision.

• Premium Member

Good advice so far guys, thanks. I've pretty much already decided. I just want to hear all the great things about this bike to reinforce my decision! I am 44 and a new rider as of July last year. My first bike, and current ride, is an '83 Honda Goldwing 1100, which my father had for 30 years and passed down to me. I took right to it, completed the rider safety course, I logged over 4000 miles in about 4 months and I'm completely obsessed with bikes now. Since I already have a touring bike, I wanted to find something more peppy and nimble for my second ride. I have no doubt I'll be happy with the fz-07. Btw is there a way to post pics from my iPad? Thanks again. Looking forward to exploring this forum.

• Premium Member

Man... A Goldwing for touring and an FZ-07 for shorter rides. That is a fine setup! You will find the FZ-07 peppier and nimbler than you could ever imagine (and way beyond what the specs would lead you to believe).

Why can't left turners see us?

My favorite thing about the FZ07 is how quickly it gets to 60mph. I can easily hit 45mph on 2nd gear at 4500 rpm! I personally think that is crazy, but well, I don't have a broad range of motorcycle experience so can't say if that is the norm, but to me that feels crazy.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

Hi @yamagrip, great to have you on board. I see you did some research and basically already made up your mind. Good for you. The FZ07 is a great bike and a bargain compared to what else is out there. I would be a fine addition to your Goldwing. I doubt that that the Honda will get much seat time once you get used to the weight and nimbleness of the 07.

• Premium Member
Btw is there a way to post pics from my iPad? Thanks again. Looking forward to exploring this forum.
Welcome!  Check out the FAQs here:  http://fz07.org/post/452/thread 
@admin has made some nice videos that show you exactly what to do.  And yes, you won't be disappointed in your choice.

Welcome to the forum! You say you fell in love with it .... right?! If it's true love you should know not to 2nd guess yourself (who walks away from love???). You've already committed half way by putting a deposit down, now just take that last leap and throw your heart on the line as well. You love it, you know it, just get it and end your torture. You'll be glad you did, it's a great bike!

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I picked up my new bike today!! It's even better than I expected! I only got to ride for about 1/2 an hour before I had to trailer it and head home, but I'm thrilled so far! I plan on having it broken in by the end of the weekend. Thanks all!

Yama, I'm a fresh rider too (27) and I love this bike to death. I had two tremendous fears when purchasing: (a) If I buy a 250/500, am I going to wish I had more power in a few months when I gain some confidence? (b) Is a 700 going to be too much and get me in trouble or an accident?. I am so glad I veered away from a 250/500, I truly believe I would have gotten bored or yearned for a stronger acceleration and top end. The 07 doesn't scare me at all either. I've put about 1200m on in a month and I absolutely love the thing. I'm pushing it now at stoplights, pulling a bit heavier on the throttle, and just having a blast. I can keep up with my friends or riders I meet when I take short trips, even when we hit highways and are cruising at 70-90mph. It's smooth.

My only word of advice, the wind. You will get used to it, when I first hit 85mph, the wind was crazy and it made me really uncomfortable. Now though, the wind barely bothers me. I just tuck in a bit and I'm good to go. I've only ever hit a little over 100mph, while it was noticeable, I didn't feel unsafe in the least.

Enjoy the bike and Welcome to the Forums!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Welcome to the fourm. I bought my bike without ever riding or sitting on one. I had previously ridden my "beginner" street bike which is my girlfriends Z1000. Prior to that I had only illegally ridden dirt bikes on the street. In my opinion the fz07 is tame enough to where beginning riders shouldn't feel too nervous but again my beginner bike was a liter bike that will do 115 in 2nd gear.... So I guess it's all realitive. The fz07 also has monster torque that quite frankly scared me the first time I got on in while shifting to 2nd.... front end will come up. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the fourm. I bought my bike without ever riding or sitting on one. I had previously ridden my "beginner" street bike which is my girlfriends Z1000. Prior to that I had only illegally ridden dirt bikes on the street. In my opinion the fz07 is tame enough to where beginning riders shouldn't feel too nervous but again my beginner bike was a liter bike that will do 115 in 2nd gear.... So I guess it's all realitive. The fz07 also has monster torque that quite frankly scared me the first time I got on in while shifting to 2nd.... front end will come up. Enjoy the ride.
How is the low end torque of the  z1000?

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
The fz07 also has monster torque that quite frankly scared me the first time I got on in while shifting to 2nd.... front end will come up.
That's why I personally don't think it is the "best" beginners bike.  But... If you make through the first few weeks unscathed, you're probably over the hump and will be fine!  :)  

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
The fz07 also has monster torque that quite frankly scared me the first time I got on in while shifting to 2nd.... front end will come up.
That's why I personally don't think it is the "best" beginners bike.  But... If you make through the first few weeks unscathed, you're probably over the hump and will be fine!  :)  

Just recognize and be very aware of the fact that you are a beginner, and treat the throttle with the respect it deserves -- and you'll be fine.  As I would tell one of my kids, "just don't be an idiot"  :)

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
How is the low end torque of the  z1000?
Low end torque of the Z1000 is good but different than the FZ07.  Meaning it will pull hard from 4th gear from about 1500rpm but it revs so fast and builds power so quick its very surprising.  The Z1000 is also a much heavier bike (~500 pounds).  Its always a shock going from one to the other.   

Yama, I'm a fresh rider too (27) and I love this bike to death. I had two tremendous fears when purchasing: (a) If I buy a 250/500, am I going to wish I had more power in a few months when I gain some confidence? (b) Is a 700 going to be too much and get me in trouble or an accident?. I am so glad I veered away from a 250/500, I truly believe I would have gotten bored or yearned for a stronger acceleration and top end. The 07 doesn't scare me at all either. I've put about 1200m on in a month and I absolutely love the thing. I'm pushing it now at stoplights, pulling a bit heavier on the throttle, and just having a blast. I can keep up with my friends or riders I meet when I take short trips, even when we hit highways and are cruising at 70-90mph. It's smooth.  
My only word of advice, the wind. You will get used to it, when I first hit 85mph, the wind was crazy and it made me really uncomfortable. Now though, the wind barely bothers me. I just tuck in a bit and I'm good to go. I've only ever hit a little over 100mph, while it was noticeable, I didn't feel unsafe in the least.

I had a gs500 for 6 years and rode it for 42000 miles before selling it. To me "you'll out grow this bike" is only valid if u like going straight. I could out maneuver my friends R1 and 1098 on that 500 any day.
That said the fz07 is a very similar bike just with more power and no freaking carbs to deal with. OP I think u will enjoy any bikes you get so just get the one you like.

• Premium Member

Yes haze, the wind will take some getting used to, especially when my experience has been on my Goldwing. I was able to get over 80 yesterday and it's a totally different feel but I love it! Another adjustment is the directional switch. On my Goldwing they turn off automatically so I have to remember to manually switch them off.
Sorry about the off topic guys but I didn't see it in another thread:
I ride with work boots and found it challenging to get my toe between the peg and the gear shift. Has anyone made adjustments with different rear sets because of this?

pantheraleo

I had a gs500 for 6 years and rode it for 42000 miles before selling it. To me "you'll out grow this bike" is only valid if u like going straight. I could out maneuver my friends R1 and 1098 on that 500 any day. That said the fz07 is a very similar bike just with more power and no freaking carbs to deal with. OP I think u will enjoy any bikes you get so just get the one you like.
Agreed. I still have my GS500F, too.

It's a great bike. Fun to ride, great gas mileage, easy to work on.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Yes haze, the wind will take some getting used to, especially when my experience has been on my Goldwing. I was able to get over 80 yesterday and it's a totally different feel but I love it! Another adjustment is the directional switch. On my Goldwing they turn off automatically so I have to remember to manually switch them off. Sorry about the off topic guys but I didn't see it in another thread:
I ride with work boots and found it challenging to get my toe between the peg and the gear shift. Has anyone made adjustments with different rear sets because of this?
I had to adjust the shift pedal higher, since it was sitting too low for me and made it difficult to get my foot under the shift pedal.  After I raised the shift pedal higher, shifting is much easier now. There is a shift rod that is connected to the shift pedal. You need to loosen both locknuts on the shift rod and rotate the shift rod clockwise or counter-clockwise to raise or lower the shift pedal.  I forget which direction does what, but once you do it you will see for yourself.  When proper shift pedal height is achieved, don't forget to tighten both locknuts on the shift rod.   

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I've been researching bikes all winter. I kept coming back to the FZ-07. I love the styling and great reviews. Today I went to an open house at MOMs in Manchester, NH and saw it in person for the first time. They had my favorite color scheme, Liquid Graphite. They didn't have any demos to ride but I sat on it, fell in love and put a deposit down. In my area there are not many available. I got approved for financing and I have until Monday to decide. Please help. It's very hard for me to buy something I've never ridden. Also with charges and fees its up to $7400. Anyone had any luck haggling? Plus what do you all think about the $590 5 year warranty. Thanks in advance, D
Welcome, Being as you already riding a Goldwing you should be fine on an FZ-07. $7400 OTD isn't a bad price. Alot of members on the form have purchased the FZ-07 without riding it (Myself included). It's won quite a few comparison tests. You will certainly enjoy it. If you are worried about the throttle being a problem you can get a 35kW or 25kW limiter kit (Here or Here). They limit how far you can twist the throttle. 
Cheers!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived