The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Sizing

suspiciouspackage

suspiciouspackage

Currently have a Scorpion R710 in a large. My head is 23.5" exactly right above the eyebrows. With that measurement, I should fit perfectly in a large, right? I did the "tests" like the lift and the roll test. For the lift, my cheeks lifted but my forehead stayed still. And on the roll test, rolling forward brought it forward a little but not excessively. Rolling backward, it pretty much rolled off my head. I was looking into a Shoei RF-1200 (what I originally wanted, but didn't have the budget for). Tried the large on, and it felt nice but suffered from the same things as the Scorpion. With the medium, I felt like it was better but it felt like I was about to rip my ears off putting it on and off. If you were me, would you size down even though I'm clearly a large according to both manufacturers' size charts?

• Premium Member

Did you tighten the chin strap? If a helmet fits tight, it will eventually loosen up a bit and you'll gain some clearance. Not by a lot, but similar to how a pair of shoes take on the shape of your foot.

Everything went braap.

The size charts are just approximations.

Try on a Medium and see how it fits.

I measure out to a medium but wear small helmets.

You may also need to look into another helmet design, ie helmet shape. You may be a very long oval if your cheeks are not tight in these helmets.

Ya, I measure out to a large, but my head is a long oval, so I wear mediums. Some manufacturers don't even make a helmet that can fit me though which is just a result of having a slightly less common head shape. If the helmet is rolling off of your head during a roll test though, it is too big. Also, my helmet rubs my ears when I put it on as well, but not nearly as badly as when I first got it.

• Premium Member

I am a long oval head shape too, and I finally found a helmet that fits me perfectly in the Arai signet-Q. My recommendation is to find a good local helmet dealer that knows how to properly fit you. I went to The Helmet Center here in Phoenix and they hooked me up -- went in thinking I wanted a Shoei and all the guy had to do was have me try on the Arai to convince me to spend the extra money. Best investment I've made besides the bike itself.

I made the mistake of buying a helmet slightly small thinking the material would give in time. It did not and the pressure on my ears(with glasses) got quite painful on long rides. I toughed it out for a long time but was glad when I could retire it.

I am a long oval head shape too, and I finally found a helmet that fits me perfectly in the Arai signet-Q. My recommendation is to find a good local helmet dealer that knows how to properly fit you. I went to The Helmet Center here in Phoenix and they hooked me up -- went in thinking I wanted a Shoei and all the guy had to do was have me try on the Arai to convince me to spend the extra money. Best investment I've made besides the bike itself.
Yep - head shape is so important. I've owned 2 Shoies, but can't wear anything they now sell as the shape is now too oval for my roundish head. That Arai Signet, forget it for me as well. But the Aria RX-Q, Arai's only roundish helmet - perfection. Having no red marks/headaches when the lid comes off is priceless  
This is an interesting read  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

• Premium Member

+1 on the head shape.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 1 month later...

Yup, head shape is super important. I was dead set on getting a Shoei Rf-1200. I ordered one from one from an online vendor only to find out it didn't necessarily fit my head properly (hot spot on forehead). I was coming from a Large scropion exo 750 which tend to run small, the shoei I tried was a medium. At that point I figured I may as well try the large and called up customer support to organize an exchange, the guy said "we can do that but i really think you might want to consider the Arai signet Q"....i'm glad i listened to him, although I really really wanted the Shoei because I think it looks amazing I now have zero regret in spending a bit more to get the Arai that fits properly.

Archived