The MT-07 Forum

aftermarket clutch lever??

jrubicon

Something I don't understand is how there's enough pull to disengage the clutch when the lever is adjusted close to the bar. Does it pull the same when it's adjusted in? Does the clutch cable get pulled the same distance even when the lever has less distance to go?
Well, if the lever can be adjusted close enough to the bar, as the lever hitting the grip becomes the limit of throw, then it's very possible that the clutch pack will not open enough to allow clean shifts or worse yet, prevent drag at stop lights.  
Whether that happens or not, I can't answer. 

I have adjustable levers on my Aprilia. It's a hydraulic system (no cable to adjust) I swapped out the OE slave cylinder (bolted on the motor) with one that lessened lever pull. It does this by using a bigger diameter piston. That bigger volume robs some throw produced by the OE master up on the bar. To compensate, I had to adjust the lever further away from the grip to get shift quality back. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yamobethere

I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of CRG RC2's, but the price of the chinese levers got me second guessing.

Anybody want to sway me one way or another? Is there anything on the market that is in between the two price/quality wise?

For $25 you have nothing to loose, your patience maybe, as it takes a good 2 to 3 weeks to get those levers to you :)

• Premium Member

I paid $39 for my blue ano shorties on ebay (made in China). No complaints.

Why can't left turners see us?

Something I don't understand is how there's enough pull to disengage the clutch when the lever is adjusted close to the bar. Does it pull the same when it's adjusted in? Does the clutch cable get pulled the same distance even when the lever has less distance to go?
The engagement zone is pretty far out, so usually adjusting it a few notches in can still make for a complete pass through the engagement zone into no drag.  That said, much like Rick indicated you can adjust it too far in and end up hitting the grip before it's completely disengaged.   
Something else that came to mind, and mostly only affects the track guys, is that there is another benefit to adjustable levers I don't think I saw mentioned...  Another reason they are beneficial on the track is because you can adjust for brake fade real time on the bike.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

My China levers were $25 and showed up in a week, same shipping speed as most online retailers in the U.S.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

bmwpowere36m3

Ordered the shorty eBay levers… look exactly like the ones on Mad Hornets (cheaper, non-folding version) site.

• 2 weeks later...
Ordered the shorty eBay levers… look exactly like the ones on Mad Hornets (cheaper, non-folding version) site.
Ordered mine from Mad Hornets. Guess what country they came from. Must be the same ones!

• Premium Member

Bought Brake and Clutch "CRG RC2" levers. They were expensive but got great reviews, look cool, 3 anodized colors, and adjustable.

crgrc2_clutch_lever_black_detail.jpg

Databyter

• Premium Member
Ordered mine from Mad Hornets. Guess what country they came from. Must be the same ones!
How are the Mad Hornet levers working out so far? I ordered a set a few days ago (Shorty style) - probably would have better to ask you before I ordered! 

How are the Mad Hornet levers working out so far? I ordered a set a few days ago (Shorty style) - probably would have better to ask you before I ordered!
Great. They feel awesome and my shifts have gotten much better. I can tell they aren't super high quality, but they're not crappy either. Definitely glad that I got them.

• Premium Member

I got the clutch part of my order today for the CRG RC2's. Gonna wait for the brake one to show up before I do the install. Manipulating them in my hand I was a bit surprised and dissapointed that the adjustment from one end to the other seems to be about half of what I had expected, but it may seem different on the bike than freehand, and at any rate it probably has the click I need. Databyter

Databyter

dizzid1320

I got the clutch part of my order today for the CRG RC2's. Gonna wait for the brake one to show up before I do the install. Manipulating them in my hand I was a bit surprised and dissapointed that the adjustment from one end to the other seems to be about half of what I had expected, but it may seem different on the bike than freehand, and at any rate it probably has the click I need. Databyter

I'm sure you'll find the adjustment range is more than you need. In fact, most levers at the lowest setting are too close to the bar. When you squeeze the lever, you hit the handle before the clutch fully disengages. The brake lever doesn't need as much travel so you might like the lowest setting on that side.

• Premium Member
Great. They feel awesome and my shifts have gotten much better. I can tell they aren't super high quality, but they're not crappy either. Definitely glad that I got them.
Received mine today and put them on - looks great compared to the stock levers! Quick question - the bushing on the clutch... it came out of my OEM lever very easily, however I had to use a mallet to jam it into the Mad Hornets lever. If I ever want to change again, I am likely going to have to buy a new bushing, as I dont see myself being able to get that out again... was that the same experience for anybody else with the MH set?

dizzid1320

Bummer. Do you get any binding in the lever? I have FP Racing levers and they went in just as easily as they came out of the stock one.

• Premium Member
Bummer. Do you get any binding in the lever? I have FP Racing levers and they went in just as easily as they came out of the stock one.
It was binding at first and not fully returning to position when released, but then I loosened the nut about 1/8 of a turn and it seems to operate fine. However, it got me wondering if the bushing/barrel is suppose to (required to) move freely. Considering it was so easy to remove and was well lubricated in the OEM clutch lever, I started to question if the bushing may need to be tight in the bolt/nut connection and loose enough in the lever that the lever moves around the bushing. If that is the case, this may create a future problem, as the bushing is too tight and will not move at all. 
Help with this question would be greatly appreciated - is it a problem if the clutch lever bushing will not move (Collar, Lever 1, part 5JJ-83913-00-00)

dizzid1320

You'll be fine with the pivot bolt/nut being snug but not tight. If you were to try the stock lever again, you'd find that the nut could be tightened to the point that binding occurs even with the stock levers. As long as you have some play, that's fine and far better than even a little binding. The aftermarket lever should have similar amount of wobble around the bolt as the stock lever.

• Premium Member
It was binding at first and not fully returning to position when released, but then I loosened the nut about 1/8 of a turn and it seems to operate fine. However, it got me wondering if the bushing/barrel is suppose to (required to) move freely. Considering it was so easy to remove and was well lubricated in the OEM clutch lever, I started to question if the bushing may need to be tight in the bolt/nut connection and loose enough in the lever that the lever moves around the bushing. If that is the case, this may create a future problem, as the bushing is too tight and will not move at all. 
Help with this question would be greatly appreciated - is it a problem if the clutch lever bushing will not move (Collar, Lever 1, part 5JJ-83913-00-00)

I removed the aftermarket clutch lever, carefully tapped out the collar/bushing and put it back in the OEM lever to compare. The collar fits perfectly in the OEM lever and rotates with no play or resistance - you can hold the collar and swing the lever back and forth and it is very smooth. I'm putting the OEMs back on until I can get more info on the importance of the rotation.  

botbullet0
Received mine today and put them on - looks great compared to the stock levers! Quick question - the bushing on the clutch... it came out of my OEM lever very easily, however I had to use a mallet to jam it into the Mad Hornets lever. If I ever want to change again, I am likely going to have to buy a new bushing, as I dont see myself being able to get that out again... was that the same experience for anybody else with the MH set?
Nope, mine slid right in with no problem

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the mad hornets levers, and have used them for a few weeks now. They feel great, and have good adjustability in and out. I run 3 on the clutch side and 1 on the brake.

My one big complaint is that I got the length adjuatable ones, and I pictured them being shorties, and I wanted more like a 3 finger lever, so they could be adjusted out. Well, I have them as short as they go, and they are barely shorter than stock. If you are looking for shorty length levers, do not buy the adjustables.

Quality is good, they installed fine, no binding or anything. If you are a color stickler, just a heads up, the blue levers don't really match the stock blue accents on the gray bike, so I wouldn't go with blue if thats important to you.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK
RIP 01 DRZ-400 (crank failure)

• 1 month later...

ordered the black ones from ebay the same as some of the others here, excited for them to (someday) make it to my house haha. Will post up reviews whenever they get here. for $24 its worth a shot!

• Premium Member

I received my Ebay shorty levers today, ordered them on the 13th, they shipped them the next day. So 11 day from ordering to my door.

Brake lever went on without issue. Like others had mentioned the metal bushing was a snug fit on the aftermarket clutch lever. It was not tight enough that I needed tools to put it in place, but it was tighter than the OEM Clutch lever. Additionally, getting the clutch lever to line up was a little tight as well. Found it useful to use a screwdriver to line up the bolt hole on the clutch side.

It may look like there is not a lot of adjustment with them off, but there is a lot more than the OEM break lever. I found on the clutch lever I can only use settings 6 to 4. 3 down feels like the clutch is not fully disengaged. 4 is actually a good adjustment for me though.

Archived