The MT-07 Forum

aftermarket clutch lever??

jrubicon

I put a set of CRG short levers on mine a couple weeks ago.  Easy to install and they work very well. I avoided the chinese versions because you never really know what quality they are until they arive in the mail. The levers make a huge improvement over stock especially if you have stubby fingers like me. Adjustables are a necessity.

Its a 5 minute install. if you do the install yourself be advised that there is a bushing in the pivot pin that needs to be swapped over. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a set of these on my bike the other week and so far they are great for $45 CAD and free shipping, and they have an infinite amount of colour combos available. Took two weeks to get them but hey they are the other on the other side of the world. I put the Red/Black/Red ones on mine, I'll post a pic tonight when i get home.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CNC-Folding-Extending-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-YAMAHA-MT-07-FZ-7-2014-2015-black-/131444225423?hash=item1e9aafb58f&vxp=mtr

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

fivefootthree
I took a few pictures of the folding levers that I got off of ebay (same levers but different seller) and was going to post them, but the images in the ebay posting^ are pretty spot on and IMO they are of excellent quality for the price.  Took about 10 days to receive.

Just installed the eBay levers and went for a little ride. Made a huge difference for me and my smallish hands. Super easy to install and they look good.

• Premium Member
What is the difference between shorty and regular length levers? Is it just a preference thing or is there a reason for the shorter ones?
Its really just preference. I find that shorty levers are more comfortable but, some people like to have a full hand of a lever in their hand, primarily women.....no pun intended.

What is the difference between shorty and regular length levers? Is it just a preference thing or is there a reason for the shorter ones?
Being shorter they do look better, IMO, shorties to stock lever's are like tail tidy's to stock fender's. If you go down they may be less apt to get bent since they are more recessed. They come in colors and are adjustable, usually, which can be a plus and may use better materials than stock. Just better crafted, usually, over all and racier looking by far. I got mine on Amazon.  

[attachment id=279" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

I have the RSC clutch on my FZ07 and all of my past bikes. Once you get used that ez-pull, you never wanna go back...

NICKY NEON

im getting old and my clutch hand starts to hurt pulling the lever for a half hour ride. would the short levers help me, is it less pressure pulling the lever in?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

My adjustable leavers make it much easier to shift, just FYI, you can do a clutchless upshift as well. It takes some practice but you can do it. I learned how to shift without a clutch driving a Freightliner truck and heard you could do it on a bike and tried it on my FZ. It is a little jerky with the already grabby throttle but it can be done. Some say this and that about gear box damage but I find it hard to believe as most truckers do it and never hurt their gear box. Before you crucify me guys....I realize the difference between a motorcycle and Freightliner and thickness of gear sprockets and so on and so forth but if you learn to do it right, it does save the clutch for a longer life.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

bmwpowere36m3
My adjustable leavers make it much easier to shift, just FYI, you can do a clutchless upshift as well. It takes some practice but you can do it. I learned how to shift without a clutch driving a Freightliner truck and heard you could do it on a bike and tried it on my FZ. It is a little jerky with the already grabby throttle but it can be done. Some say this and that about gear box damage but I find it hard to believe as most truckers do it and never hurt their gear box. Before you crucify me guys....I realize the difference between a motorcycle and Freightliner and thickness of gear sprockets and so on and so forth but if you learn to do it right, it does save the clutch for a longer life.

Done right, clutch-less shifts are smooth if not smoother than regular shifts. However they are easier done in higher gears and under harder acceleration.

Preload shifter, briefly and slightly reduce throttle, simultaneously increase force on shifter (completing shift) and get back on the throttle.

eBay levers for $30 and save money for other mods

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

im getting old and my clutch hand starts to hurt pulling the lever for a half hour ride. would the short levers help me, is it less pressure pulling the lever in?
Try rotating the levers down some on the bars.  Adjustable levers help with the reach, but even the sock levers can be rotated into a more comfortable position.  Mine were way too high for my liking when I got the bike and one of the first things I did was rotate them down.  No more left wrist issues! 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Shorter levers offer less leverage so no, they dont make shifting easier from a mechanical standpoint.

They do however offer an ergonomic advantage in that you can adjust the position, ie how far from the bar they are which might make things easier for you.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Shorter levers offer less leverage so no, they dont make shifting easier from a mechanical standpoint. 
They do however offer an ergonomic advantage in that you can adjust the position, ie how far from the bar they are which might make things easier for you.
Just throwing this out there, my adjustable levers weren't shorties so I got the best of both worlds. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

thomascrown

Fp racing makes a medium length lever that is somewhere between shorty and full length. I have them, they're great. Also, stick with clear billet, fancy anodizing will fade if your bike isn't a garage queen.

mines look similar to the ebay ones he purchased except all black and and only 24 bucks. work fine just took about 3 weeks to get here. im actually super shocked at how well made they are. 

IMG_20141222_135446_zpskzvuqb2f.jpg
What Windscreen is that?

Fp racing makes a medium length lever that is somewhere between shorty and full length. I have them, they're great. Also, stick with clear billet, fancy anodizing will fade if your bike isn't a garage queen.
Neat! 
Im going to have to look into that.  If i could do it again, id go shorty brake lever and medium/long clutch.  The stock handlebars do not lend themselves well to two finger clutching, at least for me.

thomascrown

Bare aluminum. On the ride home i was more conscious of how I use the clutch. I three finger, because somehow, I can't precisely use the clutch with all 4 fingers, and the pinky finger offers minimal assistance anyway.

magsz18

I can four finger my shorty levers as well but I do the 2 finger shift while gripping with weak finger next to Mr. Pinky.

Beemer

I have shorties and I typically 3-finger the clutch and 2-finger the brake.

I often use my middle and ring fingers to brake while using my thumb/index finger around the throttle to rev match. Works for me.

I usually 3-finger the clutch because when I pull it all the way to hold it in (like at a stop) the lever is long enough to hit my ring finger. I sometimes just 2-finger the clutch when I'm just shifting normal, but 3-fingers feel better to me.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Something I don't understand is how there's enough pull to disengage the clutch when the lever is adjusted close to the bar. Does it pull the same when it's adjusted in? Does the clutch cable get pulled the same distance even when the lever has less distance to go?

Archived