The MT-07 Forum

Madstad Windshield

rudaniun

There is a thread about it. Somebody has it I believe. I have it a different bike. Looks ugly but works. Not my cup of tea for this one. Plus that insane price. I think I paid 200 something for the screen then. For this model, with all the parts, it is closer to 300 which is a bit silly imo. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Premium Member

I'm glad I have the Madstad shield, and I have the 16 inch and the smaller fly shield, but I almost always use the larger shield. I try not to think about the price.

[attachment id=141" thumbnail="1]

lots of different bikes and guys using those shields that really love them
I don't have one but am thinking about one  I don't think its the coolest but probably the most functional out there

Has anyone ever looked into or tried a Madstad windshield? The functionality looks pretty sweet.  
http://www.madstad.com/

Yes. I have the small flyscreen for looks & short trips, & a 22-inch adjustable windshield for winter commuting & sport touring. The flyscreen works great to get the wind off my chest, but not my helmet. 

IMG_4247.JPG

I wear an Arai XD4 helmet with the big visor & it does not like +75mph head turns in the wind. The adjustable windshield does an amazing job of giving me clean, smooth air over the top of my helmet. I can turn & look, even with my faceshield open, with no wind vs. helmet issues. YEA!!!

IMG_4260.JPG

However, the adjustable windshields are placed much further forward to allow for adjust-ability, and this presents issues at night. Look carefully at the photo above. Notice how the headlight lenses protrudes forward. Notice how the lower front of the windshield is above the headlight & turn signals. Not noticed at all during the day, but at night you see the headlight & turn signal reflections in the back of the windshield. :-(

Here's my 1st attempt at fixing the issue.

IMG_4291.JPG

I painted the lower inside of the windshield with flat-black paint. This helped, but the issue is still there. The reflections are now   dimmer than my lighted view of the road from the headlight. I can live with this for now.

I prefer the adjustable shield in the lowest height position & the lower angle. This is the worst position for this reflection. Moving the shield higher at same low angle helps also.

I may yet modify the back of the windshield or shield the top of the headlight & turn signals to prevent their glare from the windshield.

Just an FYI. Its a very-functional adjustable windshield. I will be able to sport tour on my FZ-07 because of this windshield. But be aware of night-riding glare issues that are present on an FZ-07.

Catfish ...

Has anyone ever looked into or tried a Madstad windshield? The functionality looks pretty sweet.  
http://www.madstad.com/

Yes. I have the small flyscreen for looks & short trips, & a 22-inch adjustable windshield for winter commuting & sport touring. The flyscreen works great to get the wind off my chest, but not my helmet.  
IMG_4247.JPG

I wear an Arai XD4 helmet with the big visor & it does not like +75mph head turns in the wind. The adjustable windshield does an amazing job of giving me clean, smooth air over the top of my helmet. I can turn & look, even with my faceshield open, with no wind vs. helmet issues. YEA!!!

IMG_4260.JPG

However, the adjustable windshields are placed much further forward to allow for adjust-ability, and this presents issues at night. Look carefully at the photo above. Notice how the headlight lenses protrudes forward. Notice how the lower front of the windshield is above the headlight & turn signals. Not noticed at all during the day, but at night you see the headlight & turn signal reflections in the back of the windshield. :-(

Here's my 1st attempt at fixing the issue.

IMG_4291.JPG

I painted the lower inside of the windshield with flat-black paint. This helped, but the issue is still there. The reflections are now   dimmer than my lighted view of the road from the headlight. I can live with this for now.

I prefer the adjustable shield in the lowest height position & the lower angle. This is the worst position for this reflection. Moving the shield higher at same low angle helps also.

I may yet modify the back of the windshield or shield the top of the headlight & turn signals to prevent their glare from the windshield.

Just an FYI. Its a very-functional adjustable windshield. I will be able to sport tour on my FZ-07 because of this windshield. But be aware of night-riding glare issues that are present on an FZ-07.

Catfish ...

Awesome write up, I appreciate that. I have the same color bike as you and I like the way it looks on the bike. I may end up getting this set up, I just did not realize all of the separate parts that you have to get add quickly to be over 300 to ship to your door. But we will see, I may end purchasing this in the long run because I do sport touring. In May I am going to be riding from Bakersfield up to Yosemite and up tioga's pass then back down the back through Bishop and take the 178 back to Bakersfield, and I am more then likely going to stay in a hotel in Bishop since this is such a long ride. And I don't really see another windscreen that would be as helpful as this one.

Oh that headlight glare off the inside of the windshield! I had forgotten about that hehe. So I rode with that glare for the last year and half. It is almost like dashboard glare inside cars for me now. Other than summer, most of the year it is dark when I am riding home and I guess I have grown to just ignore it. The only setting on a Vstrom 650 where the screen works for me is the 'pushed all the way to the bottom and forward setting'. With that, it doesn't cause stability issues or too much wind buffet.

So with the bigger screen, have you faced stability issues above or around 75mph?

• 4 years later...

Hey guys!

They say on their site that the windscreen is made of Acrylic and that is just another name of plexi.

Shouldn't be done of policarbonite?

Just see video on YT  with tittle " Uwaga na szyby wykoane z plexi "