The MT-07 Forum

Is supply becoming an issue?

farmer67

Well I bought a FZ-07 yesterday. Red just like I wanted from my local dealer. Had the deal made in 5 minutes... Paid $7400.00 OTD which to me was worth it because the next closest dealer is over 1 hour away and they told me over the phone $8048.00... then the third dealer I talked to gave me the story that I asked about (No FZ-07's.... Yamaha hasn't said when they will get more... blah blah).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm STILL waiting for one dealership to call me back... hehehe, nearly a week AFTER I bought one from another dealer. All dealers are NOT created equally, by any means. shop/look around. And, all the best, but don't expect a "steal" on an in-demand bike any more than any other such product.

Btw, here's my recent story--showing how dealers differ... just short of two weeks ago, on Friday, April 17th, I contacted the closest dealer via the Internet and filled out the requisite form online. I got an almost immediate auto-reply telling me they would contact me. The next early afternoon I sent out what looked to be an identical form to a second dealer, but over twice as far away. They seemed to use the same inquiry software, but a third dealer had no means of online contact, no Website, etc. at all. So, I was looking at the first two, the only ones for quite some distance. My second inquiry was made from Starbucks on my wife's computer (later, I noticed I'd gotten the same sort of auto-reply at my home email from the second dealer as from the first the day previously). So far, same-same.

BUT, here is where things differ culminating in an almost immediate sale from the second dealer. About an hour after placing the second inquiry I returned home to find a call from the second dealer on my answering machine asking me to call back, which I did. To review, one dealer responded almost immediately and the other didn't in almost two weeks and I'm sure never will.

Anyway, just to finish the story... I talked with a sales-person at the second dealership and he said they had a red. I replied I already have a couple red vehicles and would only buy gray. He said he'd talk with the boss about price and color and would call me back but it was late in the day Saturday. I said, no problem I'd talk with him Tuesday morning one way or the other (they are closed Mondays). I called him early Tuesday and he said he'd been in with the boss and that they had a gray in-the-crate but must sell it for retail since there are no factory incentives, etc. on this model. I said, I expected as much and that retail would be fine. And, that's what I paid, no bogus "fees," "delivery," or "set-up," etc., etc. Of course, tax, title, and registration fees had to be paid just as buying any motor vehicle, new, used, or whatever in my state.

I picked up GRAY last Saturday, wrote a check, and road it the 75 miles home. Totally uneventful transaction (and trip)--after the weather finally cleared and I could get down the Interstate to gather it in.

As I stated to both dealers in my enquiry, I had cash in hand and was ready to buy immediately. You can see the difference.

Archived