The MT-07 Forum

Is supply becoming an issue?

farmer67

In the next week or two I plan on buying a red FZ-07. My local dealer said supply wouldn't be an issue and worst case scenario I wait a week or two at most if they don't have a red FZ-07 in stock. Today I called a dealer a few hours away that was advertising a $5,999 price on cycle trader to see what their OTD price was. The salesman claimed all the FZ-07s they had are now sold, and Yamaha won't tell them when they will be able to order more. Should I be concerned? TIA!

No, absolutely not.

They're still making them. Anyone that gives you that line of BS is trying to get you in there to play into the whole "lets make this guy desperate so he spends more money than he has to" sales pitch.

Fawk that noise. Be patient, buy at the price point you WANT to buy at and WHEN you want to buy.

• Premium Member

you will be alright, like he said, it's all a salesman tactic

• Global Moderator

Tell them to call you when they get are one and that you are not in a hurry. I bet one just happens to show up in no time.

It is an issue, not a salesman "thing". I've been working with the owner of my Yamaha dealer and he's been trying like crazy to get me a red FZ07 for a month. The only dealers that have them (around here anyway)are the "MSRP + $400 freight + $198 doc + $200 set-up" dealers.

FWIW I knew the owner before he bought the dealership and he's a "straight shooter" for sure.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
It is an issue, not a salesman "thing". I've been working with the owner of my Yamaha dealer and he's been trying like crazy to get me a red FZ07 for a month. The only dealers that have them (around here anyway)are the "MSRP + $400 freight + $198 doc + $200 set-up" dealers. 
FWIW I knew the owner before he bought the dealership and he's a "straight shooter" for sure.
Hold out for the red one and don't settle for those slower colors!

Illegitimi non carborundum

There are no supply issues. The bike may be in demand but the nice thing about our marvelous capitalist society is that if you're patient, you can have whatever you want...except not paying taxes and cheating death. Noe one has figured that out yet. :P

Guest sportyeight

Go to World of Powersports, they recently bought the honda dealership in Bloomington. The store in Peoria gave it to me OTD for MSRP.

Go to World of Powersports, they recently bought the honda dealership in Bloomington. The store in Peoria gave it to me OTD for MSRP.

I called them (Decatur) and asked them their OTD price and I was told 8048.00. I thanked them for their time.. I can understand being a little high over the phone but more than $1000 over MSRP wow.

I called them (Decatur) and asked them their OTD price and I was told 8048.00. I thanked them for their time.. I can understand being a little high over the phone but more than $1000 over MSRP wow.
That's because there's a supply issue. They can't get ones to replace them so they're going to make more on the ones they do have. 
Even Westfield increased the price to $5999 from $5699.

That's because there's a supply issue. They can't get ones to replace them so they're going to make more on the ones they do have. 
Why are you perpetuating that garbage? 
Its not a supply issue, its a DEMAND issue.  Demand is high.

IF there was a supply issue, there would be NO bikes to be had and we would be seeing even crazier pricing.  As it stands, free market economics are in full flow and people are buying at a premium because they want the bike now.

The ebb and flow of demand versus available supply will run its course and the prices will normalize.

This is a current production bike that is STILL being produced.  There are NO supply issues.  There may be availability and pricing issues but again, i will repeat myself, there are NO supply issues.

• Global Moderator

While you are technically correct if supply is not keeping up with demand that could be construed as a supply issue, at least in the short term.

While you are technically correct if supply is not keeping up with demand that could be construed as a supply issue, at least in the short term.
You are correct but...semantics. 
The bikes are still being produced, they are still obtainable and there is no reason to pay ridiculous prices unless you WANT to.

Pauli sounds like a salesman...

Not that this a is a scientific conclusion, but based on how quiet the forums seemed to be last month, and the rash of new member posts I've seen in the last week or so...
Its easy to conceive that many dealers have probably had 1 or 2 sitting around their show room stock for the last few months of cold weather and many people who've been holding off on purchasing during winter months are making moves now. I bet all this 'supply/demand' concern settles down to a steadier state within a couple weeks.

There are no supply issues. The bike may be in demand but the nice thing about our marvelous capitalist society is that if you're patient, you can have whatever you want...except not paying taxes and cheating death. Noe one has figured that out yet. :P
I'll let the owner of a Yamaha dealer know that there isn't a supply issue per some dude on the internet. Geez, pretty sure he wants to sell a bike. 
Demand is greater than supply. Call it a demand problem or a supply problem, doesn't matter. The aggressive pricing dealers aren't getting any to replace the ones sold. Can you still get one? Sure, like I said before MSRP + $400 freight + $198 doc + $200 set-up.

It is Westfield that told me that they are out, and they don't know when they will get more. They are the reason behind the initial post.

Guest Ralph

Here in the UK they were in very short supply mine came in September after about 4 months wait,
the local dealer had about 8 is a few weeks back but last week only 4 or 5, the price went up
in August 2014 here but they held the lower price on my order, last years bikes second hand are
selling at about £250/$370 less than I paid new and don't stay on the floor.

I'll let the owner of a Yamaha dealer know that there isn't a supply issue per some dude on the internet. Geez, pretty sure he wants to sell a bike. 
Demand is greater than supply. Call it a demand problem or a supply problem, doesn't matter. The aggressive pricing dealers aren't getting any to replace the ones sold. Can you still get one? Sure, like I said before MSRP + $400 freight + $198 doc + $200 set-up.
Yamaha isnt shipping bikes?  Did they stop making them? 
You sound like you're parroting what the dealer is telling you...

Do you actually believe what a car/bike dealer tells you?

There are good sales people that tell the honest truth to gain investor confidence and then there's everyone else that bases their sales strategies around lies and fear.  Fear motivates people to do some pretty amazing things.  This reminds me of the second time when Obama won the Presidential election and i went to go buy a S&W M&P 9C.  The salesman told me that S&W stopped producing them so i better get one now because once Obama is firmly entrenched in his second term he is going to ban guns.  The lie was based around a shred of reality motivating people through fear to spend their hard earned money.  The only thing the guy was right about was that Obama would serve a second term...

I have no doubt that the bike is very popular.  I have no doubt that the bike is selling very quickly when it does arrive.  I have no doubts that Yamaha is still producing these.  I have NO doubts that demand will eventually drop off and the prices will normalize.  Take any economics class and this stuff is beyond basic.

You tell us if Yamaha isn't shipping them. You seem to know more about Yamahas supply chain then some dealers/owners. If a dealer doesn't have a FZ07 for sale, then what is their motivation for saying they are having trouble getting one when a price is already agreed on? They aren't saying "hey for a $1K more I can get one".

This thread is about current supply, not in two months or six months or whatever. The fact is dealers that price bikes aggressively are not getting bikes to replace them. Those dealers WITHOUT A DOUBT HAVE A SUPPLY ISSUE TODAY.

Um...free market economics? That's really my best response to your comments.

Dude, in a capitalist, consumer based society, consumable goods dont grow on trees. You cant just phone up Jesus the Bike dealer and ask him to fire on over whatever it is your heart desires.

Dealers put in orders, orders are fulfilled by distributors (manufacturers) when they have stock. Its really that simple. The stock IS flowing, there is NO interruption in the chain. If a dealer cannot get a motorcycle for you and you absolutely have to have one now, you go to someone that DOES have it and pay a premium. Your inconvenience is not Yamaha's problem or something that can be construed as a supply problem.

If you want to know about a supply problem, look at the state of ammunition production and sales in the United States. The ammunition industry is an inelastic industry, meaning they produce for example, 10 million rounds a year and that IS IT. They do NOT adjust their production rates to accommodate for influxes of new shooters or a spike in demand. Their production rates are based off of consumption rates from before 2008 (at least until 2013) and when the gun control scares hit, the ammo that was available was immediately purchased and EVERY distributor in the united states sold out, period, end of story. The second an order would come in, the ammo would fill a backorder and then be immediately sold at retail.

The market wanted for example, 20 million rounds, and the manufacturers were only producing 10 million because that was all they could. Couple this with the fact that raw materials are in finite supply and heavily regulated by the EPA and you have a real supply problem, ie you cannot produce more.

There is no threat of regulation, there is no threat of the FZ07 being discontinued and there ARE bikes on show room floors. Just look at craigslist, cycletrader etc etc. There may not be bikes available in your area but if you expand your search, you WILL find them.

To answer your question, the dealer is creating a false sense of rarity to charge an above MSRP price. WHEN demand tapers down and bikes are sitting on show room floors, you WILL see these bikes drop below the 6990 MSRP. Until then, dealers are going to charge an arm and a leg because they CAN. Supply versus demand, simple economics.

Now, lets take this one step further.

YOU (correct me if im wrong as this is how i perceive it) are stating that there is a manufacturing supply chain issue, ie Yamaha cannot produce the motorcycle or are not producing the motorcycle.

I am stating that the supply chain is healthy albeit depleted due to high demand.

Those are to VERY different scenarios bud.

Only if it's the lowest price in town. My particular dealership undersold everyone by $1k and only had the red one left. I wanted the graphite so they were able to order me one at their price from Yamaha.

Two weeks after my visit they sold the red one...to my coworker unbeknownst to me.

I purchased mine a month ago.  $7400 OTD at Ray's Cycle in Lewiston, ID.  They had one of each color, I took home the red.  And this thing is fun as hell!

• Global Moderator

Welcome @mernsdorff. Thanks for joining our forum. We have a New Member introduction section here. Feel free to post something if you like. We love pictures.

Archived