The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about selling my FZ07...

magsz18

Your technique sounds highly suspect. From what I can deduce, this is a problem with how you ride, not necessarily the bike being faulty. Story doesn't add up.
Im a new rider and rev matching is not my forte.  It is something i am trying to learn. 
Now, having said that, ive had the bike stall on me with the clutch out while coasting at 15 miles per hour in second gear.  I dont think there is any technique involved there, do you?

Another time, while doing 23mph, i clutch in, shift from third to second, go to blip the throttle and the engine has already sputtered and died.

Yet another time, i downshift from third to second, im releasing the clutch and i watch my rpm DIVE and the bike stall right as im about to blip the throttle.

So yes, i suck nards at downshifting and rev matching but i wasnt aware that rev matching was an absolute requirement to riding a bike or anything with a clutch for that matter.  Can you offer me any advice on how to revise my technique?

• Premium Member
Your technique sounds highly suspect. From what I can deduce, this is a problem with how you ride, not necessarily the bike being faulty. Story doesn't add up.
Im a new rider and rev matching is not my forte.  It is something i am trying to learn. 
Now, having said that, ive had the bike stall on me with the clutch out while coasting at 15 miles per hour in second gear.  I dont think there is any technique involved there, do you?

Another time, while doing 23mph, i clutch in, shift from third to second, go to blip the throttle and the engine has already sputtered and died.

Yet another time, i downshift from third to second, im releasing the clutch and i watch my rpm DIVE and the bike stall right as im about to blip the throttle.

So yes, i suck nards at downshifting and rev matching but i wasnt aware that rev matching was an absolute requirement to riding a bike or anything with a clutch for that matter.  Can you offer me any advice on how to revise my technique?
Well, 15 in 2nd gear is a pretty slow, so perhaps your revs were just way too low -- any motor will bog down if you are in too high a gear for your speed, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear the engine die in that case. 
I'm a novice rider myself (only a couple years of experience) and I don't get near the rev limiter, but I also tend to wind most gears up to about the 5000 range before upshifting.

And rev matching isn't an "absolute requirement" unless you are downshifting and using engine braking and don't want the bike to lurch forward (or in extreme cases, have the back tire lock up) -- just find a good youtube video describing the technique and practice it.  I'm new to sportbikes so I am still working on my technique as well.  It just takes time and repetition.

So...im a dude, so i dont read manuals, but i read the manual...dont tell anyone.

The manual says you should be downshifting from fourth to third at 16 mph...

LOL really? That surprises me. I'm downshifting from 4th to 3rd around 40
I remember when i first got the bike and i read the manual (i mean...um...someone told me about the manual) and thinking, those shift points are bogus... 
I dont get it either and im doing about the same as you when im downshifting.

• Global Moderator

Ignore the shift speed that are in the manual. I think they are there for best fuel economy. The speeds are ridiculously low.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

+1 on ignoring those recommended shift speeds. Start shifting and down shifting based on the feel + sound of the engine + exhaust. I up-shift from 2nd to 3rd around 30m mph if I'm in traffic and if I want to let the bike loose I don't up-shift until closer to 60. Same on the down shift (at least for the traffic transition). If you feel the bike start to sputter, that's your cue that you've shifted too quickly up, or late down. Also, try not to just full-squeeze clutch and completely let off the throttle. I could do that with my cb500, but the fz-07 doesn't like that nearly as much. When you pull in the clutch keep a little throttle open (1500ish rpms) and see if that doesn't help things. And, as others have already mentioned, feather that clutch until you're comfortable enough to dump it at speed + revs. Apologies, if you're doing all this stuff already.

Do you have a friend that would let you borrow a go-pro so you could document the problem via video?

+1 on ignoring those recommended shift speeds. Start shifting and down shifting based on the feel + sound of the engine + exhaust. I up-shift from 2nd to 3rd around 30m mph if I'm in traffic and if I want to let the bike loose I don't up-shift until closer to 60. Same on the down shift (at least for the traffic transition). If you feel the bike start to sputter, that's your cue that you've shifted too quickly up, or late down. Also, try not to just full-squeeze clutch and completely let off the throttle. I could do that with my cb500, but the fz-07 doesn't like that nearly as much. When you pull in the clutch keep a little throttle open (1500ish rpms) and see if that doesn't help things. And, as others have already mentioned, feather that clutch until you're comfortable enough to dump it at speed + revs. Apologies, if you're doing all this stuff already.  
Do you have a friend that would let you borrow a go-pro so you could document the problem via video?
No need to apologize.  Im a new rider and constructive input is always helpful! 
Unfortunately, i havent met any other bikers so no go pros.  I could try and duct tape my DSLR to my helmet but...yeah, i cant imagine that will go over well. :)

I definitely ignore the shift points in the manual as the bike never feels like it should be shifted at those points. I merely pointed it out to the gent that told me i sucked at riding without offering any constructive criticism. :P  The manufacturer obviously thinks the bike should run at those speeds so i used that as a data point.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok, before we all start calling Yamaha, lets go over a few things here, ok?

1. Your bike is under a year old and covered by warranty. Just like with a car, take it to the dealer! If my Toyota started stalling, Toyota would tell me the same thing. Same with Ford, Chevy, Kawasaki, Honda.. Let them diagnose it first and then call Yamaha. They cannot help you until one of their dealers can look at the bike and diagnose it first.

Let's be fair to Yamaha here and go thru your proper channels and get it diagnosed before selling your bike.

I do not want to cream Yamaha on this forum, it's not why I built this place.

Roger.

Fair enough. Its not my interest to create a shit storm and hurl it at Yamaha, i was just hoping they would offer some assistance based upon my experiences with THEIR dealer network down here in Florida.

This is a bit of a chicken before the egg kind of situation as they cannot really police their dealers and they obviously cant grant me special treatment preemptively based upon my unbridled hatred of car/bike dealers. :P

I think im going to try and find some guys around here that know more than i do that could potentially help me throw an EJK into the bike and tune it to stop doing this. That seems like a theoretical viable solution. My Idle RPM is already 1100 so i dont think that's going to do anything.

In my past experiences, Yamaha will go out of their way to help when their is a diagnosed problem. But, corporations get sued by scammers all the time every day too, over really stupid shet.

So, all vehicle manufactuers require that you take their vehicle to one of their authorized dealers to have the issue diagnosed. After this occurs, the manager at your dealership will contact Yamaha if they find an issue that needs to be corrected and have it covered by your one year warranty. I doubt if they void warranty over exhaust and levers but yes, it's possible.

The time to call Yamaha is if the dealer fins an issue but tries to charge you to fix it during the warranty timeframe. I have seen Yamaha side with the customer and raise holy hell with the dealer. But, I have also seen Yamaha side with the Dealer too.

To me, it sounds like either an Air/Fuel issue an maybe even the AIS pumping to much air into the system.

Or, it could be your shifting technique. I like to keep my engine under load when slowing down, and I do blip the throttle to rev match when I pull in the clutch level.

If you have a helmet cam, start wearing it and recording the bike stalling and then post those clips here after uploading to youtube. You can then also show that to the dealer to help diagnose the issue.

Maybe even call Dobeck Performance and tell them what exhaust you have because they test the hell out of these FZ-07's with most exhaust brands and maybe they have noticed something?

But first, put down the mouse for a sec an call your dealer before your warranty expires. Also, be nice to them, that goes a very long ways. You can mention the forum to the dealer and MAYBE use this audience watching this situation to your advantage. But please do not mention us to Yamaha Corporate because they could cause me nightmares. IF they ever worry that we are causing them bad PR, they would simply call their legal dept and have us shut down.

Cruizin,

I own my own business and deal with customers/consumers every day of the week almost 365 days a year. I am nothing but professional and i am not about to throw anyone under the bus so dont sweat that. Threats are not a viable negotiation tactic unless you've lost all options. :)

What i am is honest and as you can probably tell by the tone of my posts, dishonesty really gets to me.

When i have time i think i am going to make a drive to some of the central Florida dealers if i can find one that is amicable over the phone and is willing to listen to me instead of telling me that the problem doesnt exist, or talking about the FZ09's throttle recall/ecu remap as if that pertains to my FZ07...I will report back accordingly and we will see what happens.

I am hoping that it is just me and not the bike but im really not sure.

• Premium Member

I have had Yamahas for almost 50 years. If Yamaha would shut down a forum for someone voicing their frustration (American free speech) I would truly have a problem with that.
Every manufacturer can have issues with models and I am sure this is an issue they are willing to take responsibility for. Yamaha is known for reliability. Just this morning I saw a survey of motorcycle reliability. Yes, Yamaha was at the top of the list.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
 My Idle RPM is already 1100 so i dont think that's going to do anything.
Not sure if you're anticipating that the EJK will help with idle, but just a heads up that it won't. The EJK only kicks on at 1500 rpm (somebody can verify that)?

I've got the same idling rpm and the bike sounds dangerously close do dying when I let it sit at idle for too long.

I wasn't suggesting buying an EJK to fix the issues, I was sharing that they have tested most every exhaust for the FZ-07 and maybe there is a chance that they also noticed stalling on their Dyno. And if so, they might have an idea what is causing it.

Interesting. My bike has idled at 1300 since the day I got it. It still had the same issue, but only a couple of times before it got its first service.

My experience of a "stall" was at the very beginning after getting this bike. It always happened to me while starting from rest. This was October or so last year, so not particularly hot or anything. So any stoplight, I used to give a bit more revs before easing the clutch out. But now and then I would forget and just do it unconsciously and it would stall. Thankful that none of those times, I got rear ended though I had some close calls. Oh, this has also happened when I have done 'rolling to a lazy almost stop', with clutch pulled in, but then road opens up and I give it gas and let out the clutch and...stall. This was all within the first 500 miles I think.

I just took it to my local guy and had the clutch cable adjusted and wallah(!), no more stalling after that. Now got 6K plus and I just started riding it last week and will be throughout the summer. Changed oil to full synthetic as well. No issues to speak off.

I think my dealer had the clutch cable setup badly plus a few other small things. My local friend/mechanic rolled his eyes while telling me all the weird stuff which he straightened out. Just get that adjusted for the way you ride and give it a try.

Bottom line Ian: Don't throw away the baby with the bathwater. Like most fine Jap vehicles; this bike just gets better with time. Strange as it may sound, after your 07 gets accustomed to the new exhaust you installed & you put some more miles on it, it's highly probable that the mysterious stalling issue will simply cease to exist. When that happens, you'll be damn glad you didn't sell it because this is one badass little bike!

I wasnt thinking the EJK would fix the idle issue. I was hoping it would address any issues that MAY be present with the fueling. Any way you slice the pie, its a nice thing to have.

I am going to futz with the bike a bit more and wait it out. I will try some different techniques and see if those alleviate the issue and report back. If central Florida or some of the more northern Yamaha dealers will be a little bit more accommodating i will take the bike there and see what they can do for me.

The bike has too much appeal for me to let it go, at least right now. Thanks for talking me off of the ledge guys!

I wasnt thinking the EJK would fix the idle issue. I was hoping it would address any issues that MAY be present with the fueling. Any way you slice the pie, its a nice thing to have. 
I am going to futz with the bike a bit more and wait it out. I will try some different techniques and see if those alleviate the issue and report back. If central Florida or some of the more northern Yamaha dealers will be a little bit more accommodating i will take the bike there and see what they can do for me.

The bike has too much appeal for me to let it go, at least right now. Thanks for talking me off of the ledge guys!
Forget about bringing it to the Tampa area dealers. They too are firmly ensconced in the "Never Heard About It" camp.  

Archived