The MT-07 Forum

What's your hot weather jacket?

Cruizin

I'm about to sell my Revit Airwave jacket. I like it but want more protection.

I'm looking at the RS Taichi Link

RSJ275_WHI_A.jpg

I like that it comes with a Chest protector as well as Elbow, Back and shoulder protection.

What do you guys wear when it is 90 plus degrees out? It's often well over 100 here in the summer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wear a perf leather Joe Rocket Sonic 2 when it gets hot out. I like my skin, and the perforations actually do keep the temperature reasonable while you're moving.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I use a Revit Tornado. It has shoulder, elbow and back protection. I like everything about it except the collar. When fastened it bugs my neck so I keep it hooked open.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Just bought this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-ii-jacket in Hi-viz. Since buying this I have been cutoff twice by people looking directly at me. I look like a huge flippin yellow bumblebee and they still pull out in front of me.
Rode in 95 degree weather and air flow was great. Everyone in my group was sweating except me. Next step is to upgrade armor.

Do you guys actually trust cordura mesh to protect you versus leather? I need to go ahead and get a new jacket and I'm shopping amongst the perforated leather jackets on the market.

the alpinestars air comes with shoulder and elbow armor. And the back protector insert was $50. it's a lot easier to feel comfortable in an armored vented jacket than the dainese full leather. And even better than being tempted to ride with nothing at all. part of my concentration gets taken away if something is uncomfortable. I'm all for mesh summer time jackets instead of just a vest. I use it all year with a windbreaker or sweater under when it's cold. But then again California winters are nothing.

Do you guys actually trust cordura mesh to protect you versus leather? I need to go ahead and get a new jacket and I'm shopping amongst the perforated leather jackets on the market.

I don't trust all of the mesh jackets. Look for what level of mesh, like 1000 denier Cordora is good, I don't trust the 600 Cordora at all.

I trust the Vanson, thier stuff is just proven over many years. I also like to add hard armor.

A good leather jacket can survive a few wrecks and slides where a mesh is usually toast after one good wreck and slide.

But Perferated is just too damn hot over 90 degrees. No way in hell can I ride in leather when it is that hot.

I'm probably getting the Vanson Mesh 4 with upgraded armor in elbows, shoulders back and chest. Hard armor, not soft.

I purchased the Rev'it Galactic.  It's a perforated leather jacket with mesh in the chest and back areas to allow for air flow.  Without the waterproof liner it vents we'll.  It has excellent protection in elbows and shoulders.  I upgraded the back protector with a Seesoft insert.  Our summers in the "great north" can exceed 90 as we'll with high humidity.

I have the Icon Contra, it's a vented textile jacket, with good protection that can be upgraded. It flows a lot of air and is very comfortable

I know you said you didnt want leather, but i would rather sweat than bleed. I'm in Florida, so i feel your pain but I cant seem to trust the textile stuff, I just feel more comfortable in leather. Aside from the price, i have nothing but good things to say about my perf. leather jacket. The liner lets me ride down to about 40 degrees, without it at 95 its comfortable when moving any speed. The thing about hot weather is even without a jacket your gonna sweat when you stop. I have found that its actually more comfortable(for me) wearing the leather. Once you start to sweat and then get moving it actually cools you off better. Without it seems like the perspiration evaporates too quickly and doesnt pull the heat away as good. Again, just my opinion! Get what makes you comfortable, cause something is better thatn nothing!
Dainese-Super-Speed-C2-Pelle-Leather-Jacket-Black-Black-Anthracite_469_44SKW.jpg

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

I open the vents on my Fox Creek jacket. Not warm enough yet though.

Everything went braap.

I already have a sweet leather jacket but wont wear it over 90 degrees. I ruined a leather jacket one summer simply from sweat being absorbed into the jacket and it was turning white in certain areas and had a perma stink. A good quick way to ruin a $600 leather jacket is to wear it in hot summer weather.

Again, the 1000 Cordora Mesh is very tough and good for one accident. Read the 120 mph crash review of the Vanson Mesh.

I am leery of some of the Alpinestars and Revit 600 cordora mesh because while those jackets look nice, they are mostly 600 Cordora an that stuff isn't very tough at all.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I am leery of some of the Alpinestars and Revit 600 cordora mesh because while those jackets look nice, they are mostly 600 Cordora an that stuff isn't very tough at all.

Fair assessment. I'm not sure how much my Revit would protect me at 100+ mph hitting the asphalt. My thinking at the time was "It looks cool and it vents a crap-ton of air and it's not over 250 ducks." So I bought it, and it has proven to be an extremely well ventilated jacket that I hope not to have to test at 100mph+.

Interesting...

I never thought about ruining a nice leather jacket from sweat. I live in Florida and basically sweat like a pig all year round so killing a 600 dollar jacket in a year does not really appeal to me. Thanks for the food for thought Cruizin.

Hrmph. I just dont really trust cordura. Its abrasion resistant to a point but i cant imagine a 60-80 mph slide is going to get absorbed very well by the material. Shit, ive torn Cordura on trees hiking in the everglades.

• Premium Member
I use a Revit Tornado. It has shoulder, elbow and back protection. I like everything about it except the collar. When fastened it bugs my neck so I keep it hooked open.
OMG. Every jacket I have kills me with the collar (except for my winter jackets, those are turtle-necked).  
I obviously don't figure that out until I'm out the store and on the bike.  B-|

Anyway, I wear a Dianese jacket that has Duretex Textiles, so it doesn't fray like my Alpinestar mesh jacket. It's not as breathable, but it's white, red, and black compared to the complete black in the latter. 

Both have shoulder, elbow and back protection as well. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

For what it's worth, you can remove salt stains from leather relatively easy if that does happen to you.

A good way to keep a jacket from falling apart at 100 mph might be not to ride at 100 mph.

But hey, I understand that's how some get their kicks in. You'll probably need racing quality gear at that point.

Everything went braap.

I use the Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air Jacket. breathes like I'm wearing nothing at all. Since it was the first jacket I purchased, I also used it during California winters where the worst is low 40s. As long as I was wearing a something insulating and windproof underneath it was still fantastic.

alpinestars_tgp_plus_r_air_jacket_black_white_yellow_detail.jpg

2013 Subaru BRZ
2007 CBR 600RR
φφκα

On the street in 90+ I've tried mesh/textile/leather, and IMO the best that I've found is Cortech GX Air. Mesh with leather in elbows/forearm/shoulders/back.

I keep the leathers for track only in that sort of heat. Mixed city/highway in leathers, perforated or not, is absolute torture.

Archived