The MT-07 Forum

is exhaust performance even noticeable?

farmer67

• Premium Member
I would not want to cut my exhaust either, but I have no problem with anyone who does. I had a friends GTI exhaust sitting in my garage for months after we replaced it. We finally took it to the recyclers. I can see my bike exhaust doing the same if I decide to replace it so it probably would make more sense to cut it and do a slip on. I just like having the ability to put it back to stock if I want to, although I have no idea why I would want too. I still have the cantaloupe turn signals sitting on a shelf in one piece waiting to go back on (that is NOT going to happen).
Agreed.  I have a box containing all my stock parts (which will likely never go back on, but will be available to the next buyer of my bike should I ever choose to part with it).  As far as the exhaust goes, I must be in the extreme minority -- I will likely never upgrade my exhaust.  "Loud pipes save lives" is a fallacy, and I just cannot justify spending lots of money on something that just looks or sounds cooler, but adds no appreciable performance (it may add some, but the gain/$$ ratio is really low)

Sick of the snooty attitudes here in regards to installing slip ons... "OMG! Don't cut your stock exhaust!"
yea...you might get your fancy little bitch hands dirty
Making a lot of assumptions in your post there guy.  How do you know what my hands look like, and how do you know that I typed that with an attitude?   
All my post said is if you are ok with destroying your exhaust then a slip on is for you.

Also if you save your stock exhaust and put it back on when you sell it, guess what?  Now you have a full system you can sell.  If it is on the bike when you sell it you won't get nearly as much money for it and your bike price may have to take a hit because of it.  So enjoy your slip on.

I would not want to cut my exhaust either, but I have no problem with anyone who does. I had a friends GTI exhaust sitting in my garage for months after we replaced it. We finally took it to the recyclers. I can see my bike exhaust doing the same if I decide to replace it so it probably would make more sense to cut it and do a slip on. I just like having the ability to put it back to stock if I want to, although I have no idea why I would want too. I still have the cantaloupe turn signals sitting on a shelf in one piece waiting to go back on (that is NOT going to happen).
Agreed.  I have a box containing all my stock parts (which will likely never go back on, but will be available to the next buyer of my bike should I ever choose to part with it).  As far as the exhaust goes, I must be in the extreme minority -- I will likely never upgrade my exhaust.  "Loud pipes save lives" is a fallacy, and I just cannot justify spending lots of money on something that just looks or sounds cooler, but adds no appreciable performance (it may add some, but the gain/$$ ratio is really low)
I cannot say i disagree with you.  However, for me, the sound adds to the experience and since my bike is more of a toy than a necessary tool like a car, i figure spending some dosh to juice up the experience is well worth it. 
If my desired parameters were any different, ie i was shopping and modifying purely for performance reasons then no, i probably wouldnt buy an exhaust unless there was weight savings to be had or a proven dyno chart showing measurable gain.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Sol I'll have to come up and have you listen to my bike with a yoshi pipe. You might change your mind... (though not necessarily about the loud pipes saving lives bit, I've always been skeptical of that myself).

• Like 1

louder pipes "help" the car next to you not swerve over into you. But beyond 15-20ft they have no useful safety effect. Now pissing off the people behind you or rattling the windows of your neighbors at 5am ... That's a sure-fired way to get folks' ire up.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Are you ok with destroying your stock exhaust? If so, then maybe the M4 is for you.
Well, that is a good point as well. I would hate for some reason to have to go back to using my stock exhaust and break out crying because I destroyed it .... so maybe I will spend a few hundred extra. That Akrapovic carbon sure is sweet. Thanks for saving me from myself,  cheers!

Beemer

Just a friendly heads-up! For those that add aftermarket exhaust, don't remap and say their bike runs fine, some IMPORTANT information:

http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_EFI_controller.html

Also, a sample of some Q&A from jetrus:

Q: "I put on an air filter and exhaust and my engine seems to run fine with the stock jets, do I need to rejet?"
A: The engine may appear to run fine but must be checked make sure the engine is not running lean. Most intake and exhaust modifications require rejetting.
Q: "Will the engine be damaged if I run it lean and don't rejet?"
A: Yes it can be damaged. The fuel in the air and fuel mixture helps cool the cylinder. When the air flow thru the engine is increased with performance parts the cooling effect of the fuel decreases. The engine now runs hotter than it was designed to and may be damaged with prolonged high temperature use.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Let's keep it civil here. Disagreements are fine, but we are bordering on disrespectful.

• Like 1

I have cut exhaust pipes and installed Slip ons on at least 3 street bikes and 6 dirtbikes and never ever once regretted it or had a reason to go back to stock. Why would someone want to add 11 pounds back ON their bike?

I do respect people who keep their exhaust stock, but never have known anyone who wanted to go back to stock.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
I have cut exhaust pipes and installed Slip ons on at least 3 street bikes and 6 dirtbikes and never ever once regretted it or had a reason to go back to stock. Why would someone want to add 11 pounds back ON their bike?  
I do respect people who keep their exhaust stock, but never have known anyone who wanted to go back to stock.
I've only added full systems,  but then again, I've never done anything useful with the old stock exhaust either.  I suppose it might be worth a few more bucks on ebay uncut, but, trust me, that isn't what stopped me from getting a slip on for my FZ-07.  I'd cut my exhaust up in a heartbeat if someone offered something that out-performed, out-sounded, out-looked, and out-bargained what the full systems have to offer (in my case Akra Ti). Obviously, the out-look and out-sound are very subjective but performance and cost are obtainable numbers, but in the end, everyone has to make the equation for themselves. So far... I haven't seen any slip-on's that I like that much, but I don't have fancy little bitch hands... :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I will be keeping my stock exhaust system intact simply because I live in CA and there is no telling if they will enforce smog restrictions on bikes. If they do, I'd probably be required to put that cat system back on the bike. If it never happens then I have a complete system to sell whenever I feel is necessary.

• Like 1

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I ported my FZ-09 and then did some inside cleaning of the stock header and put it back on. Immediately flashed ECU and did EJK install and dialed that in so I wouldn't burn Shet up with lean mixtures at any RPM.

Stock my bike was 106 hp and now poops out 121 on the same Dyno.
I'm happy with my stock header and M-4 slip on.

Putting the money I saved by not buying an expensive noise maker into suspension so that I can reduce my times and get faster.

• Like 1

Let's keep it civil here. Disagreements are fine, but we are bordering on disrespectful.
You're right. Sometimes I don't realize how hard I spank. My apologies.
  • Like 1

Beemer

Some people may be forced to. Some people work paycheck to paycheck and maybe can't afford a new exhaust so that would be their reason to go back to stock, even though they probably wouldn't want to do it. I wouldn't want to either.

Beemer

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I ported my FZ-09 and then did some inside cleaning of the stock header and put it back on. Immediately flashed ECU and did EJK install and dialed that in so I wouldn't burn Shet up with lean mixtures at any RPM. 

Putting the money I saved by not buying an expensive noise maker into suspension so that I can reduce my times and get faster.
So the bike still benefits from ECU flash after exhaust & EKJ instillation?  What exactly does that do anyway?

• Premium Member

I think it may be different for the 09, being an electronic throttle vs fly by wire.

Everything went braap.

So the bike still benefits from ECU flash after exhaust & EKJ instillation?  What exactly does that do anyway?

ECU Flash can change alot of engine paramaters and settings. On my bike we got rid of the top speed limiter, changed the drop in HP at certain RPM's, smoothed out the initial throttle hit, disabled the Air AIS system, an a few other things.

pantheraleo
> May mostly be the jet kit. 
THAT is the money quote. Engines are just air pumps. Aftermarket exhaust makes one part of the system have higher flow characteristics. Torque is a function of valve timing, overlap and the interaction of both positive and negative pressure waves. higher-flow exhaust interferes with the dynamics such that much of the time torque is lost in the mid to lower bands where these waves are most useful. At high RPM you're just trying to get the damn gasses out as fast as possible so that's where it shines.

That said, some bikes have been ridiculously choked to comply with emissions regulations and mods can make a big difference. I don't believe the FZ07 is one of those. When you change one side of the pump you need to fix the other end to bring it back into balance. This is where jet kits or richer ECU maps come in.

If you change the exhuast, if you don't also change the air/fuel side you're completely missing the point and just wasted your money.
I have tried to deny the simple truth of this....but I finally have decided to spend the extra 225 to get the EJK today.

I've been riding a lot, and I'm eager to compare the bike's performance after installing it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Speaking of cutting the stock exhaust would an exhaust clamp similar to this 3" one for a car not work to put the stock muffler back on?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30853/10002/-1

Not sure where the cut would be on the FZ-07 but if it's on a straight piece of pipe, this type of solution should work.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

ECU Flash can change alot of engine paramaters and settings. On my bike we got rid of the top speed limiter, changed the drop in HP at certain RPM's, smoothed out the initial throttle hit, disabled the Air AIS system, an a few other things.
Okay, so a ECU Flash doesn't just reboot or format the entire ECU to some factory setting?  From what I am gathering, it seems to be more of programming specific components of the air/fuel, obvious speed limiter ect...than a "format" of the ECU? 

• Premium Member

Also interested...

• 1 month later...
bmwpowere36m3
What is the snorkel for, and why are some removing, claiming it's not needed
Probably for intake tuning (resonance), noise and to draw air from a location that won't ingest water.  People think of it as a restriction in the intake tract… I can't comment on that.  I'd have to take a look at it and measure the cross-sectional area.