The MT-07 Forum

Anybody try the Matris Fork kit yet?

cmar143

This front fork cartridge kit by Matris looks pretty decent but I havent seen any reviews on the site about it. Anyone?

check it out here....link 

Looks nice and great price but you only get adjustable preload from what I read in the description. Hope it works out for you.

I havent seen any complete kits for that price, its all spring and dampener kits. And even then some dont come with preload adjustment caps.

Guest unknown

Check into the Forks by Matt under the sponsor tab. He will replace your damper kit with a fully adjustable fork cartridge kit for about 400 bucks.

• Premium Member
Check into the Forks by Matt under the sponsor tab. He will replace your damper kit with a fully adjustable fork cartridge kit for about 400 bucks.
Planning on doing just that this summer (my offseason, when it is over 110F)

Yeah that is a pretty good deal that Matt provides but the cost of shipping your forks back and forth will probably be about another $200 and I cant put my bike out of commission for 3+ weeks. This is a FZ-07 not an R1 so I am not looking to break any track records anyway. Personally I just want a front suspension thats tight, has sharp rebound and quick adjust preload. Matris builds the suspension to order according to your weight and setup for optimal compression and rebound although those two parameters are not user adjustable. They do offer a F12 model fork where rebound, compression and preload are all adjustable but thats about the same cost as the AK-20.

cmar143, you're in Fort Myers it's $30 to send the forks. I just sent SV forks yesterday to Orlando. Delivery in 3 days via UPS. $29.94. And the package weighed 20.6lbs

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I have an ebay store and cant ship a golf cart starter for less than $30 unless its in a large flat rate box. Since all 3 carriers go by size and weight now I find that very surprising.

I may have done that kit if it was on there site, but im soooooo happy with the traxxion damper kit that I don't think you need to spend any more money
if you will hit a track maybe you may need more but the cheap fix works so muck better then stock
all I can say is, you guys that have not done the forks yet you just cant imagine the difference
ride a side by side and you will order the kit that day

Cmar143,

When i UPS'd my forks to Traxxion last December it cost me 40$ and that's with insurance 1,000$ coverage.
If I remember correctly, it took three days for delivery from South Florida.

> you guys that have not done the forks yet you just cant imagine the difference ...

cartridges make. *grin* (ducking moderator)

if you've already spent $350+labor on the Traxxion damper rods, by all means just ride what you have in bliss. Spend the next $400+ fix/replacing that shock. That'll make another huge improvement in stability, confidence, and enjoyment.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

> you guys that have not done the forks yet you just cant imagine the difference ... 
cartridges make. *grin* (ducking moderator)

if you've already spent $350+labor on the Traxxion damper rods, by all means just ride what you have in bliss. Spend the next $400+ fix/replacing that shock. That'll make another huge improvement in stability, confidence, and enjoyment.

This is exactly what I did. All through Traxxion. He is correct about what happens :). Albeit, the ride is a bit stiffer. 

I wouldn't call it stiff but firm as It takes the bumps now very smooth but firm
so much better over bumps and no more push in the corners
no matter how you spend it will be so much better

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Well im ordering the complete cartridge set and will let you know how it goes!
Hello - did you order the kit? Installed yet? Any comments? Would love to hear how you like it.

Love to ride!

Still waiting for it to come from Italy to US distributor...they told me they should have them in by the end of this week. Matris builds them to order according to your rider weight so I am playing the waiting game now but when I get them in I will post how well I like them. Here is a link to a guy on another forum that installed them and does a write up with some pics.
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/exhaust-suspension-first-impression-matris-cartridgepreload-install-and-sw-motech-rear-rack-install/

My apologies for the tone of the original post. I got a little carried away.

The pictures on their website depict something significantly different than what appears in the box (per blog post). FWIW that is not a cartridge system at all.

It's likely a better implementation than Racetech's GVE, but it's basically the same idea. 

The piston will seal vastly better than the OEM damper rod so at least that should improve rebound action significantly. I might worry about wear on the seals (after 15k+ miles) since the inner bore wasn't polished by the factory. It wasn't intended to hold a close-tolerance part and maintain fluid integrity.

I will further add that my observation (quoted by cmar143, but since removed from this post) that there was insufficient displacement delta, was a result of a mistake in my calculations. Next time I'll check my figures more carefully before opening my yap.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

ummm where's the rest of the kit? Unless there's more, that ain't no cartridge at all!! 
It's a much better implementation than Racetech's GVE, but it's basically the same idea. Unless I'm missing something the valve goes into the end of the damper rod. No wonder there isn't any adjusting the comp and rebound because it's mighty hard to make a telescoping needle and shaft that has to react to suspension shaft velocities.

Also the inside wall of the fork tube is decent but it's not polished. Doesn't have to be because the factory didn't expect anything to be sliding up and down it's bore beside that hard plastic 'ring' on the damper rod end. It's not gritty, mind you but I wonder about the longevity of that piston seal.

Ok, it gets worse. Under compression the oil is displaced from under the upper tube, thru the (too small) damper rod holes and then vents under the piston via the damper rod's "rebound" hole, and the eight ~3.5mm holes in Matris' base. Under a proper cartridge system, there is a noticeable difference in displacement. Here, the volume under the upper tube and that of under the piston are almost identical. Not good at all.

Sheet, I could make an o-ring'd base that took a 38mm shock piston and put a shim stack on it and sell it for $200 if not less (the pistons are about $50 per in decent quantity). $500+ is a rip off IMO.

I am not a suspension expert but Matris is an Italian company that has been in business since the 80's and all they do is motorcycle suspension systems so they must know a thing or two to have stayed in business. I dont know you but most of the posts I see you making are putting down other manufacturers products or acting like you know more then them. I dont doubt that you know suspensions but geez alot of the posts you make come across as arrogant. I appreciate that your a site sponsor and this site is very informative for 07 owners but a little more exercise in the humility dept. wouldnt be such a bad thing. 

I apologize for the tone. I'll edit the response down to keep the commentary out of it.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Still waiting for it to come from Italy to US distributor...they told me they should have them in by the end of this week. Matris builds them to order according to your rider weight so I am playing the waiting game now but when I get them in I will post how well I like them. Here is a link to a guy on another forum that installed them and does a write up with some pics. https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/exhaust-suspension-first-impression-matris-cartridgepreload-install-and-sw-motech-rear-rack-install/
thanks for the link and I'm looking forward hearing back from you once they are installed. Hope they arrive sooooon ;) 

Love to ride!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
No such thing, I'll ride in 115 +, not the most comfortable but better than listening to my wife tell me about all of things I need to be doing on the honey do list. 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I think you guys are talking about 2 different Matris upgrades.

There is a preload only adjustable Cartridge for $521 http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_125_782&products_id=5456&osCsid=adcd4595fd76e2551483cdf17e7b11c6

I think the guy in that article bought a less expensive kit that is not a Cartridge but just the valves that attach to the damper It's less than half the price and looks like http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_125_782&products_id=5299&osCsid=adcd4595fd76e2551483cdf17e7b11c6

I was looking seriously at a Griso before buying the FZ. Lots of those guys are upgrading fully adjustable OE bits to Matris shocks. One guy said it was quality stuff, but if they get a spring rate or some other part wrong, it's just like talking to Guzzi. Ya gotta be patient.

• Premium Member
No such thing, I'll ride in 115 +, not the most comfortable but better than listening to my wife tell me about all of things I need to be doing on the honey do list. 
Solved that problem 5 years ago -- no more wife ;) 

@rick I think you are right. That 2nd kit is definitely the kit that the reviewer bought.
And pattonme is right in saying that the cheaper kit's seals might not last very long. And then yer back to opening things up again to replace more than just fluid.  
But the 500 buck kit is definitely a drop-in cartridge with no damping adjustments, but pretty dang nice alloy caps with spring preload. Too bad they don't at least allow rebound adjust.  

So, you are at the mercy of Matris getting the damping and spring rate right for your style of riding and weight. From what I read, Matris ( as well other suspension biggies) tends more toward the stiffer side of the scale. Not sure if I'd like the bucking bronco thing that results from too much spring, and too much compression damping in combination with our messed up roads here in the rust belt. I'd be looking for more cush than taught. With my weight being far less than the average bloke, I suspect I'd be resorting to lighter oil than they send and a couple less lines of preload and hope that doesn't result in too much sag and bounce.

There's always always a trade-off somewhere - unless ya got big pockets. .

On the flip side, Matris' N2 filled shock with rebound adjustment looks like a pretty decent deal. Last owner review I read, was someone who bought a fully adjustable shock from them and after months of waiting and emailing, wound up using an Ohilns spring of different length. He could never find out what the Matris spring was rated for. Ohlins makes it clear.

Archived