The MT-07 Forum

Ear plugs

jbird

Anyone need to use ear plugs after upgrading their exsaust, if so, what exsaust do you use, and what is your db level if known

• Premium Member

I don't wear ear plugs because I feel too isolated with them in. I bought an Akra Ti exhaust and run it with the baffle in for this very reason. I'm very happy with the exhaust, my hearing, and my non-isolation from the sounds around me.

Why can't left turners see us?

Surefire makes great ear plugs. I use them for shooting on a weekly basis and they hold up great.

I would stick to EP3's if i were to wear these on a bike as anything over that will probably block out too much ambient noise.

I use Hearos for long freeway rides on both my FZ and cruiser and they work great to tone down the pipe drone

I installed a Yoshimura R77 with out the baffle. I ride while listening to music but I can still hear my exhaust.

I put M&M's in my ears. Ones with peanuts work the best and they're handy in case I get the munchies!.  P-)

Beemer

I put M&M's in my ears. Ones with peanuts work the best and they're handy in case I get the munchies!.  P-)
Hahahaha, I imagine those taste good after a long ride in 90 degree weather! Pop off the helmet when you get hungry after a long trip and you got a snack, ready to go! Lol

All kidding aside it is a good idea to wear some form of hearing protection when riding, aftermarket exhaust or not, to deal with the wind noise. It is amazing how loud the wind can be even with a quiet helmet. After a decent ride of an hour, you can easily pass the OSHA limit of time weighted noise exposure. OSHA's set threshold of 85 decibels for the work environment is not that loud when you think about it. A normal conversation is roughly 60-65 decibels. You have to remember that for every 1 increase in decibel the sound will double in loudness.
Decibel-Table.jpg

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

I suppose I should go and get my hearing checked soon. I have been riding street bikes for the better part of 30 years now and have never worn ear plugs. The exhaust and wind noise have never seemed too loud for my comfort on any bike with any helmet on any length of ride. Maybe too much loud rock-and-roll music when I was a kid! I suppose if I do get hearing aids, I can just pull them out before I ride!

• Premium Member

The exhaust note can be loud, but 70 mph wind is hella loud. Without ear plugs.. and sometimes even with, my head is ringing after an hours ride.

It fatigues me and makes concentration hard so that's why I opt for ear plugs. I still hear plenty of other stuff fine, like other vehicles exhaust, horns, misaligned tire oscillations, sirens, etc.

I get to sit in a soundproof booth every year or two with headphones and listen for little beeps with a clicker in each hand as part of a physical. I was told I had "excellent hearing" the last time - hoping to keep it that way.

Everything went braap.

Hearing is important to protect because once its gone it doesnt "get better". They do have some type of treatment or medicine now that is supposed to help with the tinnitus (ringing in your ears that you hear when its very quiet).

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

Yup. Hearing doesn't come back. Once those cilia (hair ears) are gone, they're gone forever.

I use standard 3M ear plugs you can purchase at any hardware store. Stock exhaust or not, I'd wear plugs. Wind noise is just as bad.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I've had helmets that vary in the amount of noise by a huge amount, especially at higher speeds. I've changed helmets several times to get something as quiet as I can find. I like to hear traffic so I can know what's going on around me (and that's why I have an Akra Ti exhaust with the DB killer still in). I don't wear ear plugs for the same reason, not to mention they would be a real pain in the ass to get to stay in when putting my nice snug helmet on. :)

Hahahaha, I imagine those taste good after a long ride in 90 degree weather! Pop off the helmet when you get hungry after a long trip and you got a snack, ready to go! Lol 
All kidding aside it is a good idea to wear some form of hearing protection when riding, aftermarket exhaust or not, to deal with the wind noise. It is amazing how loud the wind can be even with a quiet helmet. After a decent ride of an hour, you can easily pass the OSHA limit of time weighted noise exposure. OSHA's set threshold of 85 decibels for the work environment is not that loud when you think about it. A normal conversation is roughly 60-65 decibels. You have to remember that for every 1 increase in decibel the sound will double in loudness.
Decibel-Table.jpg
This is all good and fine to protect ones hearing but personally, having never used ear plugs for 45 years of riding, 48 years of lawn mowing and 37 years of chicks yelling "Oh, God!!" directly in my ear have affected me none. My hearing is A-Ok! Us saxons can take a lot . Thanks for the info though, good work.

Beemer

Yup. Hearing doesn't come back. Once those cilia (hair ears) are gone, they're gone forever.  
I use standard 3M ear plugs you can purchase at any hardware store. Stock exhaust or not, I'd wear plugs. Wind noise is just as bad.
Sorry, but I've got to disagree with you, Meek.  I've found this out as I have "matured" :  no matter how many times I trim or pull them, those dang cilia keep sprouting out of my ears!  They're like dandelions ....  I wish I could say the same for the hair on my head!!  :D 

Decibel-Table.jpg
This is all good and fine to protect ones hearing but personally, having never used ear plugs for 45 years of riding, 48 years of lawn mowing and 37 years of chicks yelling "Oh, God!!" directly in my ear have affected me none. My hearing is A-Ok! Us saxons can take a lot . Thanks for the info though, good work.
You sir, win this thread.  I raise my glass to you!

• Global Moderator

Yep. It seems as you age you have less hair where you want it and more where you don't :(.

• Premium Member
Yep. It seems as you age you have less hair where you want it and more where you don't :(.
Seems to migrate south lol, at least in my case

I have a Yoshi RS-5 Slip on for my 600RR and it gets loud. Even with my stock exhaust the wind noise in my AGV numo Evo was too much. I'm hoping to get an Arai RX-Q in the near future which should be even quieter. I'm a huge fan of wearing my ear plugs. My riding buddies give me shit, but I'm convinced I'm protecting myself later down the road.

2013 Subaru BRZ
2007 CBR 600RR
φφκα

I use these things and they work pretty well.

174774_2000x2000.jpg

2013 Subaru BRZ
2007 CBR 600RR
φφκα

• Premium Member
What brand ear plug type works the best for you guys

They all work about the same. You can find a generic box of 50 pairs for around $10 at your local pharmacy. Should last close to a year.

Just avoid the super cheap ones at auto parts stores. They're harder and uncomfortable.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
What brand ear plug type works the best for you guys
Howard Leight Max earplugs are the best foam earplugs I've found. 
I've used earplugs while riding since 1978. Its why I can still hear.

Catfish ...

WHAT? 

• Premium Member
Howard Leight Max earplugs are the best foam earplugs I've found. 
I've used earplugs while riding since 1978. Its why I can still hear.

Catfish ...

WHAT?
I think they're talking about how they might make beer mugs.

Archived