The MT-07 Forum

O2 sensor with EJK?

grahamfz07

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Seems like their is some confusion as to what the stock O2 does and if it should be connected or not. 
The stock O2 is an emissions component meant to regulate the fueling at low rpm or light load cruising conditions.
It does not control the fuel during acceleration and full throttle as their is heavy load on the engine.

The stock O2 sensor maintains an emissions compliant AFR value (usually a lean AFR). When the EJK is added, we are trying to adjust the fueling for all rpm ranges. Having the stock O2 sensor connected will essentially be battling with the EJKs green fuel zone trying to pull out the fuel the EJK is adding.

When should it be connected?
If you plan to drive on the streets and want to stay emissions compliant
If you live in California and are going through an emission compliance test
If you are bringing the vehicle in for service work or warranty

When should it be disconnected?
If you have a stage 1 kit and want full performance potential.
If you are racing the bike, or drive like you are racing.
If you no longer want to be bound by emissions regulations

The difference is minimal with or without the O2 sensor connected.
The main feedback we have received is that disconnecting the O2 sensor smooths out the bikes drivability through the different rpm ranges. It reduces the jerkiness of on/off throttle.
We had riders say that the bike has aggressive engine breaking with the O2 sensor connected and disconnecting the O2 drastically reduced this.

Hopefully this clarifies the O2 sensor situation.
Let me know if there is any other questions about this.

-TuningHQ

Checking the EJK page i didn't find the settings that i need for my setup. Full Akropovic exhaust, DNA filter, snorkel attached with O2 disconnected. As long as CARB aren't conducting emission testing on motorcycles then I'm not going to be concerned about it. Base line settings to get me started would be appreciated.

@fz07fanboy

Recommended base settings for AKRAPOVIC TITANIUM Exhaust with stock air cleaner, snorkel removed and O2 sensor disconnected. Baffle In
GRN @ 5.5 YEL @ 5 RED @ 2.5 G/B @ 3.5 Y/B @ 3.5 R/B @ 6

Recommended base settings for AKRAPOVIC CARBON exhaust with stock air cleaner, snorkel removed and O2 sensor disconnected. Baffle In
GRN @ 4 YEL @ 6.5 RED @ 4 G/B @ 2 Y/B @ 3.5 R/B @ 1

Here is the link to the product page:
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Sportbike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=8120147

Did you get the DNA filter cover to go with the DNA filter?

The DNA filter does flow better than stock, but the settings listed above should still be very close for your modifications.
Try them out and give me a call if you have any running issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

• Premium Member

Thank you very much for the response. I did not get the DNA cover for the filter. Just the stock cover. I would like to give a shout out to DOBECK EJK because before i read this post just now I called the customer service number from the webpage earlier this afternoon. The phone rang twice and someone said hello.......WHOAH.......HELLO thank you for calling DOBECK how may i help you. I couldn't believe it. An actual person picked up and answered the phone. No automated system press 1, press 2. ETC. No transfers to this department or that department. I explained my situation about my exhaust and filter and i just installed the EJK controller. He asked me what settings i had and i said hold on let me check. While i was outside he was on the phone with me as i started my bike and he wrote down the settings i told him were programmed in the controller currently. Gave me a setting adjustment recommendation and THAT WAS THAT. I don't think I've ever called a company and it was so easy as this. I didn't have to give a credit card number for additional information or secret squirrel settings. The customer service was amazing and i just had to point that out. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

fz07fanboy...where did you get the e-dna filter from? Been looking for a US dealer that sells that line.

pantheraleo
Thank you very much for the response. I did not get the DNA cover for the filter. Just the stock cover. I would like to give a shout out to DOBECK EJK because before i read this post just now I called the customer service number from the webpage earlier this afternoon. The phone rang twice and someone said hello.......WHOAH.......HELLO thank you for calling DOBECK how may i help you. I couldn't believe it. An actual person picked up and answered the phone. No automated system press 1, press 2. ETC. No transfers to this department or that department. I explained my situation about my exhaust and filter and i just installed the EJK controller. He asked me what settings i had and i said hold on let me check. While i was outside he was on the phone with me as i started my bike and he wrote down the settings i told him were programmed in the controller currently. Gave me a setting adjustment recommendation and THAT WAS THAT. I don't think I've ever called a company and it was so easy as this. I didn't have to give a credit card number for additional information or secret squirrel settings. The customer service was amazing and i just had to point that out. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I'm gonna add to that....

I had several issues installing mine. The first was my decision to "save time" by not removing the plastics....sigh.

Another was my preposterous choice to disconnect the O2 sensor without removing the side plate....

I also got an error message that I couldn't figure out....yeah.

At every turn, my phone calls were answered promptly and helpfully. A+ customer service.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Is there any recommended plug that we can use in place of the o2 sensor after installing the ejk? (I'm sure I saw one somewhere but now cant recall)
OR should we just leave the sensor screwed in but unplug it (and with it unplugged, will the ecu throw any codes or cause any problems?

If anyone has a link to a plug you are using in place of the 02 sensor...please post

No codes will be thrown. Long term issue leaving the sensor in but unplugged could result in a bad sensor if you ever want to use it again. Other than that, no issues with the rest of the bike.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

pantheraleo
Is there any recommended plug that we can use in place of the o2 sensor after installing the ejk? (I'm sure I saw one somewhere but now cant recall) OR should we just leave the sensor screwed in but unplug it (and with it unplugged, will the ecu throw any codes or cause any problems?

If anyone has a link to a plug you are using in place of the 02 sensor...please post

I just wrapped the ends of the wire plugs with duct tape. I left the sensor screwed in.

I don't intend to ever use it again. The EJK is better without it.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Dewski,
As silly as it sounds you can buy an ordinary ( or stainless if you have a good bolt shop) bolt and cut so it is flush with the wall. It will cost cents ( OK maybe tens of cents). I got mine for 40c and turned the inside of the bolt head down for lightness ( ie made a cavity but that isn't really necessary)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy...where did you get the e-dna filter from? Been looking for a US dealer that sells that line.

I got my from ebay. I was looking for a seller that could get it to me quickly. I wasn't sure how long it would take for DOBECK to send it out to me. If i knew about how great the customer service was before hand, I would of just got it straight from them. Either way it still benefits them as a whole. I'm using their product and I can't tell you how well this thing works. When you install an aftermarket exhaust its going to backfire and there isn't anything you can do since the FZ-07 doesn't have a pair valve air system. After I installed the EJK, the backfiring went away. The throttle is smoother and the off throttle is not abrupt anymore. I just love the thing. Here is the link where i got mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251918790493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would just get it straight from DOBECK. You could even call them I'm sure and place the order over the phone.

Yes i have a Yoshi exhaust and am running the ejk tuner I got from Dobeck also and your right it works wonderfully. I was actually asking where you purchased your DNA filter from. Did you pick up that air filter from a US dealer?

• Premium Member
Yes i have a Yoshi exhaust and am running the ejk tuner I got from Dobeck also and your right it works wonderfully. I was actually asking where you purchased your DNA filter from. Did you pick up that air filter from a US dealer? 
Apologize for not answering your question. I ordered it from ebay. It was shipped from Italy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281609782287?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Curious, would driveability be improved by unhooking the O2 sensor on a stock bike?
No I think you would get worse performance with it unhooked on a stock bike if your not running a tuner. The only reason its unhooked with tuner and aftermarket exhaust is at lower rpms the sensor tries to override the extra fuel the tuner is trying to add to the cylinders. 
fz07fanboy....thanks

• Premium Member
Curious, would driveability be improved by unhooking the O2 sensor on a stock bike?
Go get you an DOBECK EJK controller and install it. Even with a stock bike it will improve the throttling on that thing. Of throttle is very abrupt and engine brakes hard. The controller will smooth all of that out.

• Premium Member
@fz07fanboy 
Recommended base settings for AKRAPOVIC TITANIUM Exhaust with stock air cleaner, snorkel removed and O2 sensor disconnected. Baffle In
GRN @ 5.5 YEL @ 5 RED @ 2.5 G/B @ 3.5 Y/B @ 3.5 R/B @ 6

Recommended base settings for AKRAPOVIC CARBON exhaust with stock air cleaner, snorkel removed and O2 sensor disconnected. Baffle In
GRN @ 4 YEL @ 6.5 RED @ 4 G/B @ 2 Y/B @ 3.5 R/B @ 1

Here is the link to the product page:
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Sportbike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=8120147

Did you get the DNA filter cover to go with the DNA filter?

The DNA filter does flow better than stock, but the settings listed above should still be very close for your modifications.
Try them out and give me a call if you have any running issues.

-TuningHQ

I tried the base settings for the Titanium exhaust and for the carbon exhaust. I have the carbon exhaust but for some reason with those settings i was getting more backfire. I changed the settings to the Titanium settings and it smoothed out better with little bikefire at all and my butt dyno says it pulled a little harder and ran better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
crazycracka501

@tuninghq with stock exhaust it's the same all the way around with or without o2 plugged in? I like to ride hard at different intervals so "race mode" when readily available is preferred.  Also, do you have a recommendation for a plug for exhaust once the sensor is removed from exhaust?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Dewski, As silly as it sounds you can buy an ordinary ( or stainless if you have a good bolt shop) bolt and cut so it is flush with the wall. It will cost cents ( OK maybe tens of cents). I got mine for 40c and turned the inside of the bolt head down for lightness ( ie made a cavity but that isn't really necessary)
do you happen to remember the thread size for the bolt?

I did this for my Ti Akrapovic.
I don't know for sure the thread pitch, but the bolt diameter is 12 millimeters, and the length was 25 millimeters (12 X 25).
I got it from my local Honda dealer and was a genuine Honda motorcycle part.
It is a common thread pitch used on Japanese motorcycles.

I used a 12 millimeter crush washer (oil drain plug gasket) under the head of the bolt, and didn't even have to cut the bolt down to make it shorter.

Finally did my EJK install on Monday.  (wow, I wish my hands were smaller and it were easier to plug/unplug those injector connections!)

I have the Two Brothers pipe and realized/remembered that they sent it to me with a plug installed in the O2 sensor hole and included an adapter/gasket to be able to put in the O2 sensor. I installed my pipe months ago and forgot about the plug I had laying around.  So now that the EJK is in, I pulled the O2 sensor out, unplugged it from the bike and will set it aside in the garage if I ever need it.  The plug went in fine and the bike is running much happier now.  I noticed mostly in the mid-range much smoother response that feels more torquey because of the smoothness. 

Not sure other full systems include the o2 plug with their product, but my 2bros did  :)

Cndnmax, Can't remember for sure off the top of my head the bolt thread. Easiest thing is to unbolt the sensor and take it with you. There seems to be a possibility that there is TWO different O2 sensor sizes. The one on my MT07 is quite a small one (12x1.25mm I think it was, but check) . There may be a more usual in the grand scheme of things 18xsomething mm sensor fitted on some MT's

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Cndnmax, Can't remember for sure off the top of my head the bolt thread. Easiest thing is to unbolt the sensor and take it with you. There seems to be a possibility that there is TWO different O2 sensor sizes. The one on my MT07 is quite a small one (12x1.25mm I think it was, but check) . There may be a more usual in the grand scheme of things 18xsomething mm sensor fitted on some MT's
That is correct, I can confirm that there are two "standard" sizes, 12mm and 18mm as mentioned above, for typical O2 sensor bungs.  The FZ-07 uses the smaller 12mm O2 sensor size.  There are also 10mm sizes but those are more rare.   
The threads are typically 1.25mm and 1.50mm respectively.  So:  

12mm x 1.25mm (standard size should fit stock FZ-07 O2 sensor bung) --or-- 18mm x 1.50mm (larger size found on some aftermarket exhausts for the FZ-07)

I know the M4 slip-on has an 18mm bung and came with a 12mm adapter to use the stock O2 sensor.  

Also, I would add they don't have to be very deep.  Just enough threads that they thread into the bung and block it off.  A quick Google search will yield many options on Amazon, Revzilla, etc. but a quick trip to Lowes or even Cycle Gear might be cheaper.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 1 year later...

I just have a relevant question. Is the o2 sensor really that unnecessary for the correct function of the bike that it makes it worth it to unplug it for that small affect it would have strictly on the green fuel zone?

I really don't know much about the purpose of the sensor. If it's only for emissions it's not that bad, but I'm worried if it affects the overall function of the bike.

I just have a relevant question. Is the o2 sensor really that unnecessary for the correct function of the bike that it makes it worth it to unplug it for that small affect it would have strictly on the green fuel zone?  
I really don't know much about the purpose of the sensor. If it's only for emissions it's not that bad, but I'm worried if it affects the overall function of the bike.
The factory O2 sensor makes the bike maintain a lean air/fuel ratio (AFR) of 14.7 which is an EPA emissions compliant AFR. The O2 sensor is reading the exhaust gas and the ECU adjusts the fueling accordingly to maintain that AFR during low engine load conditions (idle, low RPM steady cruise). If you were to observe your driving habits, you would likely find that the majority of your riding is at low RPM, and steady cruise while going through traffic, sitting at stop lights, highway cruising, etc. A bike will typically run hotter when running leaner, so we can cool the bike down by eliminating the O2 sensor and correcting the fueling. This also gives the bike more low end throttle response and torque.  
If we leave the O2 sensor plugged in, then we need to set the green zone to the 0% fuel change setting so the green zone is not adding/subtracting any fuel. With the O2 sensor connected, it will see the added fuel from the green zone and pull the added fuel back out. The green zone would continue to add fuel even though the O2 sensor is trying to pull fuel so this can create a conflict and on certain vehicles it will cause running issues. 

Riders who have disconnected the O2 sensor report that the abrupt engine breaking is minimized and seems to be an overall smoother ride.
It is perfectly alright to leave the O2 sensor connected, but it is recommended to set the green adjustment mode to a 0% fuel change setting which is 3.5 on the EJK.

Hopefully this answers your questions

-TuningHQ
d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

Archived