The MT-07 Forum

How to: HID PROJECTOR bi-xenon Headlight ( retrofit )

wangshin248

wangshin248
The video clip you posted is of a car headlight which has no screws to hold the housing together so yes that melts the adhesive to take apart but the FZ-07 headlight is different. Do you have any closer pics of the insides of both part of the headlight that you can post?
It's the same bro, All headlight included car, motorcyle. They all use adhesive. The reason that you cannot split it apart because of that strong adhesive. it takes time to open it fully
----------------
as you can see, no screws between housing and trim. This adhesive like I said is super strong, use a small knife to split it.
SxZUl2.jpg

wangshin...the adhesive is between the glass and the back of the headlight assembly. If you have a picture of the inside of the glass and trim piece that would show exactly what I am talking about here because the front trim piece is held in by four screws from INSIDE the light. You can see one of the screws coming from inside the light in the pics that I posted. I can see one of the holes in your pic above that is all wallowed out right below and to the left of the lower light assembly...you have that red line going through it and it runs right through the adhesive and into the front trim piece. If you didnt remove those and just heated the headlight you had to pull the screws right out of the holes when prying it off. And im not sure how it is being held in place now honestly if you did not run those 4 phillips head back in. I am going to take mine apart this weekend and provide detailed pics on exactly how to remove that trim piece. I have some ideas on how to get the bottom 2 screws out.

squintyeyes
wangshin...the adhesive is between the glass and the back of the headlight assembly. If you have a picture of the inside of the glass and trim piece that would show exactly what I am talking about here because the front trim piece is held in by four screws from INSIDE the light. You can see one of the screws coming from inside the light in the pics that I posted. I can see one of the holes in your pic above that is all wallowed out right below and to the left of the lower light assembly...you have that red line going through it and it runs right through the adhesive and into the front trim piece. If you didnt remove those and just heated the headlight you had to pull the screws right out of the holes when prying it off. And im not sure how it is being held in place now honestly if you did not run those 4 phillips head back in. I am going to take mine apart this weekend and provide detailed pics on exactly how to remove that trim piece. I have some ideas on how to get the bottom 2 screws out.
I just did this over the weekend and wangshin is right. I also thought like you did and unscrewed all the screws but realized the adhesive is just really strong. Like really STRONG. I had to put it in the oven 3 times i believe for 5-7min each time and just used oven mitts to pull as hard as i can and a knife to help seperate the black front trim from the back trim. It just takes a lot of brute force really.

Guest sportyeight
If you have a picture of the inside of the glass and trim piece that would show exactly what I am talking about here because the front trim piece is held in by four screws from INSIDE the light
5sivB9f.jpg

Looks like I'm ready for my HID install.
16f179171d05f197a207b43a49b08016.jpg
I broke these little locking tabs thingy. Didn't even know they were there. Don't think it's necessary to have them once headlight is glued back together.
1865f59739cc745a25dd7714e74e6f39.jpg

By the way, the lens came off fairly easy for me. Cooked it at 220 degrees for 10 minutes. Grabbed it out of the oven bare handed and instantly began pulling apart.

By the way, the lens came off fairly easy for me. Cooked it at 220 degrees for 10 minutes. Grabbed it out of the oven bare handed and instantly began pulling apart.
How hard would it be to take the reflector out? I want to paint it black so it isn't the chrome color behind the Projector. Is it held in by screws that would come out easy? Thanks.

How hard would it be to take the reflector out? I want to paint it black so it isn't the chrome color behind the Projector. Is it held in by screws that would come out easy? Thanks.
It does seem to come off if you take off the adjustment bolts.

All done! Well... Almost. Gotta hide the ballast and clean things up.
c9e3da43b9e4a01a131ccf25a86092e7.jpg

Vi5a, do you have a link to the prouct on amazon or part numbers?

Going to attempt this mod. I just ordered these off of Amazon. 22d26f7882a13d611d690bd240e9408c.jpg
b145b0ad21841bf9df6616081ce2a25e.jpg

• Global Moderator

Looks like a fun install. Put the kit in my cart for payday. Not really looking forward to cooking rhe thing though.
Also will this work as a sealer instead of windshield butyl? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HBM4MO/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1430611778&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=the+right+stuff+permatex

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 weeks later...
squintyeyes
What did you guys wire your halos to? Thinking of just using the aux light connection for it.
The halos i used took so much power that i had to run from the ignition switch so it still cut off from the battery when switched off. Now with hindsight i should have tried the accessory port that Yamaha added to the left side of the bike. It switches on and off with the key and provides full power. 

What did you guys wire your halos to? Thinking of just using the aux light connection for it.
The halos i used took so much power that i had to run from the ignition switch so it still cut off from the battery when switched off. Now with hindsight i should have tried the accessory port that Yamaha added to the left side of the bike. It switches on and off with the key and provides full power. 

I already have a usb charger using the aux port. But I might just tap into those wires instead.

Does anybody have the link or part number for the halos?
I got mine from the retrofit source since that's where I got my whole projector retrofit kit from. But you can use any halo really. Comes down to personal preference since there are different sizes, color, and style. Just find one that suits your needs.

wangshin248
Does anybody have the link or part number for the halos?
if you want to use halo bulb, you can skip projector !  

• 2 months later...
Vi5a, do you have a link to the prouct on amazon or part numbers?

Going to attempt this mod. I just ordered these off of Amazon. 22d26f7882a13d611d690bd240e9408c.jpg
b145b0ad21841bf9df6616081ce2a25e.jpg
The Kensun kit he has pictured seems to be the same one that the OP is using. As for the projector lens/housing with dual angel eyes, I did a reverse image lookup through Google and found these here for $35/ea with free shipping, although *slightly* different in style - bet you can't even tell what is different they are so close. Couldn't really find them on Amazon except as a kit with 2 and with xenon bulbs included for about $95 which can be found right here. There was also this listing which is looks to be identical the one in his pictures, but $64 shipped for a pair.

Archived