The MT-07 Forum

How's your tire life?

fzhooligan

• Global Moderator
The bad thing the sides still have plenty of wear left in them. That is what I get for living where all the roads are straight and the closet twisty roads are about 5 hours away.
Im in somewhat of the same boat...
my pr4-gt only lasted as long as it did because of the flat roads... if i'd hit up more twisties i probably couldve gotten a couple thousand more out of it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Changed the stock rear around 15.5K, and the front around 18.5K. Probably could've gotten 20K out of it, but there's no fun running squared up tires lol.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Necro-thread revive. My rear is starting to square off at ~1400 miles, just barely though but you can see if you look for it. Better start riding a little more tamely, front should last 20k+ because it's barely ever on the ground, haha.
If you hammer the bike in the corners the tire stays nice and rounded.... so ride more tamely? No just ride more twisties to even out wear. :-)
Oh I do, but there's no winding roads where I live. All straight roads with 90 degree turns. It sucks.  
I'll probably have to go through a couple Pilot Road 3's in the rear before the front needs replacing which is fine, I actually don't mind them at all and they're pretty good in the rain. 

• Premium Member
The pr4s suck, pr3s lasted 3k more miles. 12k vs 9k. I have Bridgestone s21s waiting to be installed.
9k that's pretty good... PR4s suck due to mileage?  What about their grip and handling? Unfortunately, when you want to serious mileage you need to look towards touring tires... generally at the expense of grip.  However not everyone is Rossi, bombing canyons, so touring tires can be perfectly acceptable if you understand their limitations.

When I replaced my rear I went with the PR4. To me it feels basically the same as the 3 did. 4,000 or so miles on the 4 and wear seems to be similar, it's hard to say. Roughly 15% of the miles are spirited backroads weekends.

Replaced my rear PR3 at 16k, Now at 20k I am looking at replacing the front PR3.

I got the same mileage as you out of my set.

Everything went braap.

Motorboat McGoat
can anyone compare the battleaxes to the pr4s?
I had the Battlax 023s when I bought the bike, rode em for 7-8k miles, changed to the PR4s this go around.  I almost have 1000mi on them and they're fantastic, at speed they grip really well.  Not sure if the tires made any change or if it's my growth in ability but I feel more confident than I did with the 023s. 
  • Like 1

At 12,000 on the stock original Michelin's..great tires, I can see maybe getting 16k rear and 20k front.

I repaired a nail puncture at about 8,000 on the rear tire with one of those $8 plug puller thingys...seems fine and holds pressure perfectly.

Your mileage may vary

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

My FZ-07 came with Bridgestone BT023, and if I recall, I got 5,000 miles before the rear was down to the
wear bars.

Since then, I've been running Michelin Pilot Powers (the original version).
Awesome sport tires.

babisstinson

I still have the factory installed Michelin PR3s after 11.000 km and they are in pretty good shape. I believe will change them after 15.000km.
Next tires though will be the new Bridgestone Battlax S21 Hypersport.

• 3 years later...

Old thread but I'll add one here. '07 with 11,500mi on the clock. Looking now as the rear tire only have about 1000mi left. Mind you I'm not complaining, really I'm pleased to have gotten this far on them.

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

After 35k miles my Bridgestone Battlax 023's still look good sitting on a shelf! 😁

Beemer

Bigturbomax

Im at 11,000 miles on the original bt023s. Down to 3/32nds on the rear. Just ordered new tires, ill prolly wait till 12,000 to pull off the bt023s. 

7 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Im at 11,000 miles on the original bt023s. Down to 3/32nds on the rear. Just ordered new tires, ill prolly wait till 12,000 to pull off the bt023s. 

that's a lot of miles for a tire! I think I got just over 6k on mine but that's because there's not much leaning around here to keep the center from wearing out prematurely.

• Like 1

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...

Got 7k out of my stock battle-ax. A flat spot started forming and got me not having confidence in corners. Put new PR5 and they are awesome. Got 3k on it this year already. Would recommend for fz. 

Bigturbomax
On 7/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, Beemer said:

that's a lot of miles for a tire! I think I got just over 6k on mine but that's because there's not much leaning around here to keep the center from wearing out prematurely.

I couldnt wait. Pulled the bt023s off at 11,400 miles, still had some tread. Put on conti-road attack 3s. OMG i love these new tires!

• Like 1

topazsparrow

my stock PR3's lasted over 10k. My PR4's burned out after 4000 somehow... ran Pilot Power all year this season and loved them, though since I put them on the front end is a bit wobbly at high speed, might be the taller and more narrow profile.

I'll probably do pilot power's again. They seem to hold up for a whole season no problem and their grip is more than I need (which is a good thing). They way they slip is also very linear and has saved my butt a few times when I crank on the throttle a bit too much coming out of a corner or if they're cold.

Wintersdark

My PR4's are still doing fine at 13k.  Rear is fairly squared off and gonna need replacing this year - I'm guestimating around 15k - front is fine.  Sadly, being a Calgary boy, I've got hours of riding to get anywhere remotely twisty, so the vast majority of my time is spent in straight line hooliganery.  Lots of hard acceleration, but sadly very little cornering short of 90 degree intersections :(  Probably only 20% of my total riding happens in places where there's enough cornering to really get leaned over.  

I figure if I lived somewhere more windy (rather, windy at all), I'd probably get upwards of 20k out of the rear by spreading the wear around more.

• 2 months later...

I must be hard on the throttle. I’m about to put my 5th  set on at just over 20k miles. Mostly twisty canyons yet the last 3 rears have had belts showing in the center.  After the stock ones I tried Raven 009, q3+, and the latest were contisport attack 3. The quickest wearing were the Dunlops followed by these contisports. The ravens were decent but not nearly as grippy as the q3s. I either have to change my riding habits or live with the cost I guess.  

Edited by turbodmac
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, turbodmac said:

I must be hard on the throttle. I’m about to put my 5th  set on at just over 20k miles. Mostly twisty canyons yet the last 3 rears have had belts showing in the center.  After the stock ones I tried Raven 009, q3+, and the latest were contisport attack 3. The quickest wearing were the Dunlops followed by these contisports. The ravens were decent but not nearly as grippy as the q3s. I either have to change my riding habits or live with the cost I guess.  

I'm also rough on tires. The stock BT023's didn't make it to 4k miles. Both ends were slam wore out. Contimotions were gone before 2500 miles. Raven 009 went about 4500 miles, but the rear could break loose in a corner under too much throttle. 009 is a very good street tire, but not great for hooning on at WOT. 

I'm currently running Bridgestone S21's and am pleasantly surprised at tire life. They are triple compound and the very edges are sticky like flypaper. My last one went over 4k miles and I hammered on it hard. I still had meat in the middle, but I was past the wear bars on the sides. Best combination of lasting and true grip that I've found. They'll probably stop making it now...

I've never wore out tires as bad as I do on this bike. I wonder of the power pulses of the 270 degree twin just hammers the tire harder than I4's?

10 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I'm also rough on tires. The stock BT023's didn't make it to 4k miles. Both ends were slam wore out. Contimotions were gone before 2500 miles. Raven 009 went about 4500 miles, but the rear could break loose in a corner under too much throttle. 009 is a very good street tire, but not great for hooning on at WOT. 

I'm currently running Bridgestone S21's and am pleasantly surprised at tire life. They are triple compound and the very edges are sticky like flypaper. My last one went over 4k miles and I hammered on it hard. I still had meat in the middle, but I was past the wear bars on the sides. Best combination of lasting and true grip that I've found. They'll probably stop making it now...

I've never wore out tires as bad as I do on this bike. I wonder of the power pulses of the 270 degree twin just hammers the tire harder than I4's?

I've had the S21's also and loved them, it didn't feel like the bike was falling to one side when put into a lean and as you described, "gripped like fly paper." Have you checked out the S22's? they say they're grippier and longer lasting than the 21's.

2019-bridgestone-s22-review-ron-lieback-

The advancements of the new Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S22 over the S21 are immediately noticeable - safety and rider...

Beemer

bartman5impson

I've been on the stock Pilot Road 3s for over 12,000 miles. It looks like the rear has about 2000 miles left before it gets down to the wear bars. The front tire is already down to the wear bars on the left side. Both tires are experiencing "feathering" so it looks like the edges of the tread are lifting up. Already bought a new pair of Road 5s. Shops in the San Francisco Bay Area want around $200 to install new tires 😐. Might as well collect the tools and do it myself.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:55 PM, shinyribs said:

I'll have to check those out. I do think a lot of it has to do with hard acceleration but I wonder how much the shitty rear suspension comes into it?

Edited by turbodmac

I have 5000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Road 3s and they look almost brand new but with some very slight squaring.

• 2 weeks later...

My original Bridgestones lasted about 10,400 miles (16,730 KM) after a screw punctured the rear tire. I replaced the two with Michelin Road 5s (I'm a huge Michelin fan) at that mileage in February of this year. I currently have almost 18,000 miles (29,000 KM) on the front and rear and look like I could get almost another 10,000 miles (16,093 KM) out of them.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png