The MT-07 Forum

How's your tire life?

fzhooligan

I'm at 3500 miles so far and my battlax's look like new. 

Am I not being enough of a hooligan??  :D

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• Premium Member

I dunno, I'm close to double your mileage and my Michelin are still looking pretty good, especially the front.

I don't really know what to expect to get out of them though.

Everything went braap.

I'm at 4.5k and they look just fine. I'm not even sure if I'll have to worry about it by the next time I have to get it serviced. Mine came with the Michelin tires.

That's kind of funny.

This is my first bike and when i bought it, i asked the salesman what kind of mileage i should expect out of the tires. He responded that generally, 3500-7000 depending on how you ride the bike but its a good idea to replace them around 5k.

Ive got 2400 or so on my tires right now and they too long brand new. They're "squaring" off a bit since i dont ride on the sidewalls but beyond that, the tread depth looks deep as the day i got it.

rotaryryan24

I got 7000 on my rear, before I changed it. Could of gone a little longer, but I like to be on safer side.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

Supposedly that is the benefit of the "sport touring" tires the factory puts on -- they last longer.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Over 5K on my Michelins and they still have lots of tread left.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest Ralph

At about 3500 looking good think the rear is going to top 7000 and the front
maybe 10000 I usually get about 4500 on a rear and not much better on a front.

12000 miles and on my 3rd rear tire and 2nd front... Had a nail in one of the 3 rear tires...

Guest unknown

I just swapped mine out at 2500 for a set of Q3's. They look practically brand new but I wanted a set of more track oriented tires.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

At 500 miles they are holding up fine :P

• Like 3

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• 1 year later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

Necro-thread revive. My rear is starting to square off at ~1400 miles, just barely though but you can see if you look for it. Better start riding a little more tamely, front should last 20k+ because it's barely ever on the ground, haha.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

Had 10.5k on the stock michelins before changing... front was still good
Changed over to the PR4 GTs.. front still looks brand new... but i think.the bike is.too light and i wore through the rear in 8500 miles
Put a regular PR4 on the rear... gonna see how that lasts once the bile gets back up and running

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

thomascrown

The pr4s suck, pr3s lasted 3k more miles. 12k vs 9k. I have Bridgestone s21s waiting to be installed.

Guest Ralph

The org Bridgestone are still on at 9500, miles getting towards change time the rear looks like
it will outlast the front only a little flattening on the rear the front looks like it will
need changing first as the sids are getting close to the ware bars, Continental GT 2 Evos
are going on as I have a new set in the garage they are intended for BMW turers so dont
know how they will be but worth a try as I already have them.
I don't usually get much over 4500 miles on a rear and about 6 on the front.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Necro-thread revive. My rear is starting to square off at ~1400 miles, just barely though but you can see if you look for it. Better start riding a little more tamely, front should last 20k+ because it's barely ever on the ground, haha.
If you hammer the bike in the corners the tire stays nice and rounded.... so ride more tamely? No just ride more twisties to even out wear. :-)
  • Like 1

4000 miles and still look great, even after a few burn outs..   8-)   

On my last bike I really pushed the tires too far and got 10k on each set. should have changed them out long before that though.

With that I wonder how many miles I will get out of the battleax's, at the moment they look like they will pass the 10k mark easily.  :D

bmwpowere36m3
The pr4s suck, pr3s lasted 3k more miles. 12k vs 9k. I have Bridgestone s21s waiting to be installed.
9k that's pretty good... PR4s suck due to mileage?  What about their grip and handling? Unfortunately, when you want to serious mileage you need to look towards touring tires... generally at the expense of grip.  However not everyone is Rossi, bombing canyons, so touring tires can be perfectly acceptable if you understand their limitations.

Dunlop q3's are getting squared off after 1,500 miles. It doesn't help that I wheelie and drift to a stop. I've stopped the drifting because the q3's are so grippy that I was putting big tears in the rear from it. I love them for the twisties though! A big improvement over the stock battleaxes.

Replaced my rear PR3 at 16k, Now at 20k I am looking at replacing the front PR3.
16k for rear and 20k for a front,... 
That is ridiculously great mileage for a set!

The bad thing the sides still have plenty of wear left in them. That is what I get for living where all the roads are straight and the closet twisty roads are about 5 hours away.