Sign in to follow this  
ch3rryghost

Beginner looking for confirmation

ch3rryghost
Hi everyone,

Cutting straight to the chase, the bikes all apart; I'm in the process of installing:

1. Motodynamic tail
1a. Yamaha turn signal splitter (http://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/wire-harness/yamaha-turn-signal-splitter-harness-2-wire-r1-r6-fz6-fz6r-fz1-fz8-pair.html)
2. OEM Euro Yamaha LED turn signals
3. Relay (http://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay)

I'd like someone who's familiar with this process to read over what I concluded through looking at all the evidence:

1. Apparently cut the black wire (resistors) in the Motodynamic sub-harness per their instruction
2. Cut and solder OEM signal harness to the new Euro LED signals
3. Connect splitter to Motodynamic sub-harness (Motodynamic tail > sub-harness > splitter > a. LED signals b. signal harness on bike)
4. Install relay

How close am I? I'm as green as they come in regards to wiring :-S. Feedback is VERY much appreciated!!! 

SkH
I don't ever recall having to cut anything on the motoD wire side. As far as the resister harness goes, I just recall not ever installing those wires (just tossing them) because I had the mainbody LED relay on the bike.

Let me check to make sure...

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/84/76/05/img_0010.jpg

Yeah, if you have the led relay, you just ditch that resister harness completely. Unless you meant by "cut" you mean ditching it, then yes, that is correct.

Also, you might want to bring "install relay" to the first thing you do because you probably want to do a lot of testing the blinker and so on, so might as well install the relay as the first thing.

TwistedTorque
I did not have to cut the black wire on my motodynamic tail light. I did leave the stock blinkers on mine but the blink rate was just fine. You might have to cut them if any after market ones are blinking too fast. I would see how it blinks first and then decide after. Easier to cut than it is to put it back on :P
  • Like 1

ch3rryghost
I don't ever recall having to cut anything on the motoD wire side. As far as the resister harness goes, I just recall not ever installing those wires (just tossing them) because I had the mainbody LED relay on the bike. 
Let me check to make sure...

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/84/76/05/img_0010.jpg

Yeah, if you have the led relay, you just ditch that resister harness completely. Unless you meant by "cut" you mean ditching it, then yes, that is correct.

Also, you might want to bring "install relay" to the first thing you do because you probably want to do a lot of testing the blinker and so on, so might as well install the relay as the first thing.

@skeeterh,

Okay, makes sense but if I were to leave out the sub-harness, how would the MotoD tail light connect to the splitter when the connector looks like this:
wh-spl-y02.jpg

Thanks!

GAZ
Just for clarification you want to run the led signals and utilize the integrated taillight? If you leave out the supplied motoD harness (the one that came with the taillight), the integration will not work. The picture above is what is needed for the signals to remain working with the taillight.

ch3rryghost
@skeeterh, dang, that would make it a lot cleaner since the sub-harness + splitter is a bit bulky. I think I'll go ahead and buy what you linked. Thanks a lot!

fooschnickens
Good to know, I'll probably be doing the LED conversion soon since I've finally found a design that I like. I was going to order the splitter harness anyway but now that I don't need to deal with the other bulky harness it's that much better!

ch3rryghost
Just for clarification you want to run the led signals and utilize the integrated taillight? If you leave out the supplied motoD harness (the one that came with the taillight), the integration will not work. The picture above is what is needed for the signals to remain working with the taillight.
@gaz, yes I'd like to retain usage of the LED signals while also using the sequential signals on the tail-light. Looks like I may have jumped the gun w/ the purchase of the smaller harness, thanks! 

ryderjay
Fwiw, I forgot to order the harness for people using an LED relay, called up MotoD and they are shipping it to me for free. Quick painless call. Great customer service :)

fooschnickens
Fwiw, I forgot to order the harness for people using an LED relay, called up MotoD and they are shipping it to me for free. Quick painless call. Great customer service :)
If I hadn't needed the splitter harness as well I would have done the same. Oh well, it's on the way to me now so all I need are the LED signals and i'll be all set! 
  • Like 1