The MT-07 Forum

MotoGP

thestache

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
yamahappy74

I just watched the final chicane that gave Rossi the win. Is that legal in MotoGP? To cut through the chicane like that? I'm surprised they don't penalize for that. I suppose it isn't a time trial, though.

I have similiar thoughts to you yamahappy74. As far as I know the rules if you go off the track ( and he clearly was) you are not allowed to IMPROVE YOUR POSITION. They were together ( the touched and Marquez was in front) . Rossi went straight across the loop and came out so far ahead of Marquez, who had stayed on the racing line, that Rossi was maybe a 100m in front. So are we going to see people riding straight across the middle of the loop and saying they won from now one. Reckon that the only reason he wasn't DQed is because he is Rossi.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The official rule from Race Direction is that Rossi was in the lead the entire time, MM never took the position from Rossi and they BOTH went off the course. They ruled no advantage was gained by Rossi because he was the race leader making the line his and MM bumped him - ruled a "race indecent" - forcing both riders wide and off and no advantage gained by either rider. Had Rossi actually crashed, MM would have been charged a penalty.

I agree with the ruling.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Marquez chose a medium front and Lorenzo and Rossi chose the soft front.
You're right.  It was the harder edged tire as you mentioned before.  Just watched some post-race interviews and the press conference.  Bravo for Jorge making a spectacular 1st lap and doing what he could to snatch up as many points as was possible that day.  

• Premium Member
The official rule from Race Direction is that Rossi was in the lead the entire time, MM never took the position from Rossi and they BOTH went off the course. They ruled no advantage was gained by Rossi because he was the race leader making the line his and MM bumped him - ruled a "race indecent" - forcing both riders wide and off and no advantage gained by either rider. Had Rossi actually crashed, MM would have been charged a penalty.  
I agree with the ruling.
I concur :D

I did watch it like 4 times though, and sure enough, Rossi was ahead the entire time.

What a fantastic battle!  

Looking forward to the rest of the season, what with the new Yamaha chassis improving Rossi's feeling with the bike, and Marcquez's old chassis letting him be a bit more stable, it's shaping up to be a very competitive season indeed!

:D

- Paulie

I re-watched that final turn almost 10 times.
Rossi was on the inside and in the lead when Marquez hit him.
If they had not bumped, Rossi would have taken the inside line and still won.

So I agree with the ruling.

The fact that Rossi did not wreck was pretty amazing.

Great race overall.

Yamaha is still kicking butt this season.

They would if it was warranted, but it wasn't. I don't buy the conspiracies that Rossi got away with it because of who he is nor do I buy the thoughts that Rossi planned this all along. Some people just like gossip. It was an amazing race - let's just let it be that.

Change of subject... So I was watching the press conference and early on MM mentioned that he was just staying calm and collected and studying Rossi all race, waiting for the perfect time to attack. Later on, a reporter asks MM "Mark, what did you learn from studying Valentio?" MM's response was priceless... "How to ride motocross." HA!

The camera angle I got had Rossi hit MM mid bike . That means MM was in front but it could have been the camera angle. The official ruling , is the official ruling. That's that.

The camera angle I got had Rossi hit MM mid bike . That means MM was in front but it could have been the camera angle. The official ruling , is the official ruling. That's that.
You need to watch the helicopter angle that shows Rossi in front the entire time.  MM's front tire never got past mid-bike of Rossi.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbpngdY0gUU

Thanks for that aeisan. The televised version here made it look like Marquez was in front.

Any time man. I'm spoiled with the multicast videopass ha. Plus, Dorna does what I think is a good job with their internet broadcast when it comes to showing replays, etc.

Do you guys that watch it on TV have Nick Harris and Matt Birt as the commentators? Or does each channel have their own? Those guys along with Dylan Grey in the pits do a pretty decent job with the coverage. Matt Birt is especially good at the analysis.

We have local guys for some and Nick and Matt for most. The TV channel chooses which feed they take I think cause we didn't get that angle. The payTV channel may get different editing and use different feeds. We had the MotoGP live feed subscription last year because Jack Miller was in Moto3 and Moto2 and 3 wasn't broadcast free to air , but now we just watch the free to air cause he is in the big class ( and crashing a lot). The big class is nowhere as exciting as the small class racing was. Most races are just a big procession like F1.

"and crashing a lot" Ha, that he is.

I agree though, I never really watched Moto2 or Moto3 much, but I'm starting to watch the races every now and then and they have been great fun to watch.

Marquez rode away on this race, hard to tell if it the adjustments the team made or just that both he and Pedrosa so very well at the German GP. Rossi finished 3rd, but man, some of those times he came out of the corner and wobbled the back wheel....wow, a couple of fantastic saves

Seems like it's just not a track the Yamahas perform well at according to Rossi. The Hondas had been doing well all week. Time for summer break and then back at it in Indy.

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this thread since the summer break is over!

I was impressed by MM's composure this week. I'm still not a fan, but he seems to just stick to Jorge's rear tire until the very end then pounced. Was a good strategy and it worked. First time this season Jorge's been able to get out front early and ended up not winning I think.

Not an overly exciting race, but the Rossi/Predrosa battle for 3rd was fun. Also the championship points battle was fun to see pan out - from a 12 point swing (Lorenzo 1st, Rossi 4th) to a 4 point swing (Lorenzo 2nd, Rossi 3rd).

@pgeldz how was your weekend?

Archived