The MT-07 Forum

MotoGP

thestache

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ISLE of Man TT is what sets my heart racing .. there is nothing like that at all.
I was telling a person on another forum, for some reason, I just cannot get into IoM, not sure why

• 2 weeks later...

Right now Jorge Lorenzo is untouchable, coming off a dominating performance at Le mans, he owned the Italian GP. The field was withing SEVEN SECONDS, only because he slowed down.

Ducati had another strong ride from Ianonni

Rossi came from a horrible start that found him in 11th, all the way back to finish 3rd.

Marquez was riding strong and in a 4 way battle for second with Predosa, Ianonni, and Dovizioso...later joined by Rossi. But his choice in a hard front tire came back to haunt him as he low sided when the front tire lost traction and he slid out. Of the 4 riders who chose the hard front tire option, 2 crashed in Marquez and Cal Crutchlow...Cal's crash looked pretty serious as he did not look like he was doing well. Crutchlow had head and hand problems after a morning crash, and now he has a dislocated ankle as well.

Right now Lorenzo is the class of MotoGP, and no one else is even on the same level, it is a long season, but Lorenzo looks to be determined to take his Yamaha to the championship...can anyone challenge him?

If I recall correctly, all the hard fronts (I think there were just 2?) crashed out. The guys in the press conference said the track conditions changed over the course of the weekend; it got much more difficult on Sunday. Marquez had a ridiculously good start moving up to the front so fast; I was laughing so hard when he failed to get out of QP1 (I'm not a 93 fan). Jorge, however, hasn't made a big mistake in 2 weekends now and it's netting him great results.

I'm with you on Lorenzo... I don't think there is a single rider that can catch Jorge if he gets out front early. We are only 1/3 of the way to the end, so let's see if he can keep it up.

Ianonne looked remarkable and to think he was riding with a fractured shoulder is just insane. I'm curious where Dovi would have bene without the mechanical issue. The Ducs just might end up giving the Yamahas a fight.

Bonus note since this is a Yamaha bike forum :)... Monster Yamaha Tech 3 passed Repsol Honda in the team points to move into 3rd. That puts the 2 factory Yamaha teams in the top 3! Revs your heart!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

@Aeisan only 4 riders took the hard front tire, 2 crashed

And Ianonne is a freak of nature, that's 2 weeks in a row riding with that shoulder and performing well. I agree on the Ducati's, right now they are the only challengers to the Yamaha's

Even more convinced now that Honda is suffering the same disease that Ducati has for the past few years. The honda crashes were all pretty much the same. Leant right over and sort of oozed away from underneath the riders. The virus seems to have morphed a bit as the Ducatis used to just fall over the front.
I am not a marque fan ( that is as in brand of bike, not as in Marquez). Never have been. I like good close assertive multi brand front end racing. So I want the Hondas back up to the front. The biggie, that isn't quite so obvious, is Maverick and the Suzuki. It is still being sorted, but it's happening quickly. I have always liked his clean no stupidity riding style. Right from the GP125 days. If Suzuki keeps on improving at this rate by the end of the year they will have a pointyend bike. Imagine races with no foregone conclusion and 4 brands in contention.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

So much for the Suzuki qualifying results hype as they both got dusted off the start line.

The writing has been on the wall for the past couple of races:
It now appears to be Lorenzo's championship to lose, and as much as I would like to see him win it all this year, Rossi will likely finish the season in 2nd position.

Funny how this season has gone so far in the soap opera of MotoGP racing.
Rossi wins a couple of races while Lorenzo has his problems and puts him down in the dumps.
Then Marquez emerges after the season opening mistake and starts to look like the dominating rider of last year.
Marquez falls during a flat track event between MotoGP races and breaks his little finger and hasn't been the same since.
Lorenzo finds something and now he's the dominant rider while Rossi gets 2nd or 3rd place finishes, gradually losing the points lead he has.

Did I forget anything?

thomascrown

I think Rossi is as quick as Lorenzo on Sunday, it's the qualifying that kills him. Qualifies poorly, and then has to pass the roadblock/obstruction/nuisance Ducatis.

Lorenzo and Marquez are the same in that if they are given space, they will disappear.  If you put pressure on them however, they will crack.  If Rossi can qualify well enough to put consistent pressure on Lorenzo, then he will be in it.  

• Premium Member

This whole Rossi/Lorenzo thing this year reminds me of Hamilton/Rosberg over in F1

At the end Rossi was circulating FASTER than Lorenzo's times. All of the Honda's again are doing the same ooze onto the deck still. Crutchlow and Marquez both slopped away two wheels together from the riders. Havent seen that since the Michelin disaster a few years ago but it is only happening to the Hondas so not the tyres par se.
Honda thought it may be the swingarm but Marquez had a new soft one and Crutchlow had the stiffer one and they both went the same way. Jack Miller managed to stay upright for the whole race but said he spent the whole time trying to keep the bike from sliding away from under him.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
At the end Rossi was circulating FASTER than Lorenzo's times. All of the Honda's again are doing the same ooze onto the deck still. Crutchlow and Marquez both slopped away two wheels together from the riders. Havent seen that since the Michelin disaster a few years ago but it is only happening to the Hondas so not the tyres par se. Honda thought it may be the swingarm but Marquez had a new soft one and Crutchlow had the stiffer one and they both went the same way. Jack Miller managed to stay upright for the whole race but said he spent the whole time trying to keep the bike from sliding away from under him.
I'm wondering if Marquez isn't a little happy with his rear brake foot

At the end Rossi was circulating FASTER than Lorenzo's times. All of the Honda's again are doing the same ooze onto the deck still. Crutchlow and Marquez both slopped away two wheels together from the riders. Havent seen that since the Michelin disaster a few years ago but it is only happening to the Hondas so not the tyres par se. Honda thought it may be the swingarm but Marquez had a new soft one and Crutchlow had the stiffer one and they both went the same way. Jack Miller managed to stay upright for the whole race but said he spent the whole time trying to keep the bike from sliding away from under him.
I'm wondering if Marquez isn't a little happy with his rear brake foot
That run up on Lorenzo, man that actually scared me, he looked completely outta control lucky to walk out of that one. 
But it looks like Lorenzo is the man to beat, he has yet to be challenged in the last few races

Yeah I think this is getting to be more exciting than some might appreciate. The whole Lorenzo/Rossi thing has been really interesting to me. So far, we've seen (in no specific order):

[ul type=disc][*]When Lorenzo get's out ahead of the pack, he's nearly impossible to catch so far
[*]Rossi can run the same or better times as Lorenzo late in the race[*]Rossi has struggled to qualify well, putting him a bit too far back in the starting grid to really contest Lorenzo[*]Rossi did however run down Marquez once, so should a bad tire decision be made by Lorenzo's team it COULD happen to him too[*]Rossi time and time again shows he is one of the best tactical racers out there; if Lorenzo fails to get out front it would make for one hell of a battle[/ul]
As Rossi kinda mentioned in the post race interview... They are 1 point apart, they are on nearly identical bikes and they are running nearly identical lap times...  This is going to be VERY interesting.  Also, even though I know, as teammates, they are bitter rivals on the track it's still great to see them congratulate each other after the race.  Lorenzo may not have the maturity level Rossi has, but I think he's starting to grow up a little.  

Also, poor Crutchlow... He seems to be riding pretty well, when he's not crashing! 

• 2 weeks later...
HOLY CRAP!!! What an exciting race today in Assen! Incredible, just incredible!
FANTASTIC RACE. 
lots of action, lots of twists, turns...great action packed race.

• Premium Member
HOLY CRAP!!! What an exciting race today in Assen! Incredible, just incredible!
^this 
:D

- Paulie

Lorenzo is going to be a threat in the next 4 or 5 races. He hasn't done well in Spa for a long time.
For sure.  The entire season-long battle is very interesting.  I'm curious when Jorge wasn't able to go with Rossi and Marquez? I haven't seen too many post-race interviews.  He and Rossi have been putting down nearly identical lap times in the races, but Rossi and Marquez just walked away from Lorenzo yesterday.  
If Lorenzo and Rossi can keep it up and continue to match each other's times, it's all going to come down to the starting grid positions every race.  That will determine the champ unless the 2014/2015 hybrid Marquez is now riding really makes that big of a difference and he can somehow work himself back into the mix.  I think the Ducatis gave it a good run, but they don't seem to be keeping pace with the Yamahas or the Hondas.  There's still lots of racing left though! 

At first, when Lorenzo made-up positions from 8th to 3rd quickly, it looked like he's be with the front two.
Then, within a couple of laps, it was shown that he wouldn't be able to stay with them.
It may be due to Bridgestone not bringing the rear tire Lorenzo preferred and would have needed to run that pace, a tire that offered better edge grip, or so I have heard on the MotoGP.com website.
I'm speculating, but that's my guess.

Exciting race watching Marquez get a lesson from Rossi.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I like Lorenzo. He's an amazing rider and is the only real competition for Rossi, even after 20 years of racing. It's amazing to me that Rossi can still hold out against these younger guys. Lorenzo will take over when Rossi retires, of that I'm sure, but I still have to give it to [HASH]46. There's just no one like him.

At first, when Lorenzo made-up positions from 8th to 3rd quickly, it looked like he's be with the front two. Then, within a couple of laps, it was shown that he wouldn't be able to stay with them.
It may be due to Bridgestone not bringing the rear tire Lorenzo preferred and would have needed to run that pace, a tire that offered better edge grip, or so I have heard on the MotoGP.com website.
I'm speculating, but that's my guess.

Exciting race watching Marquez get a lesson from Rossi.

Oh, that's right... Didn't Lorenzo have a medium front vs the soft for the front 2 guys? I forgot about that; can't remember who had what, but one I'd them ran a different front than the other 2. I remember thinking that if the soft gave out he'd be in contention, but it obviously never did.

Archived