The MT-07 Forum

MotoGP

thestache

Wish I lived in Texas so I could go to the next race.
I moved from there last year, wth was I thinking?!!

Beemer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT A RIDE BY ROSSI TODAY

Got bumped on the 1st corner, fell to 8th, then ate up a 4+ second lead by Marquez to pass him to laps from the finish. Marquez battled valiantly, glad he is OK from that crash. I think Marquez should have backed off a little and the crash was more his fault than Rossi's, with Rossi in the lead he has to know Valentino had to go for that line and with his front tire inside the back tire of Rossi, one of them would go down, lucky it was not both.

Wow! Those two are gonna have some serious battles this year!
Yeah, this race has people screaming all over the interwebzz. The Marquez fans all crying foul, the Rossi fans all pointing at Marquez...hard to point fingers at any1 in this case imo

Great race! With the rate that MM's lead over Rossi diminished he had to of known he'd be passed, and thought he'd try some motocross tactics. He has leaned on many of other riders and come out on top, but Rossi wasn't having any of it. I personally think MM had it coming trying to muscle Rossi out of the way, thats a dangerous game to be playing at 100mph.

In case you missed it, Matquez had led every lap, and had a 4+ second lead while Rossi battled back from a bump in turn 1 on lap 1 all the way from 8th. Rossi also had the Extra Hard rear tire, and Marquez just the hard. It appears Rossi made the right choice as with around 10 laps to go, Rossi just stared dissecting that 4+ second lead until the below happened.

[video src=https://youtu.be/TgIWJeJbNHw]

Disclaimer: I'm more a fan of racing in general than a Rossi fan, but I'm far from a Marquez fan. I do favor the Yamahas though.

That said... Yes - it was an amazing tactical race! The crew chiefs had just as much part int hat race as the riders did, with the rubber selections. I saw two things happen...

One, Rossi flat out rode an excellent race. From the bump at the beginning to the calm and collect, pick them off one by one attitude, to the final 3 laps where he closed it out - Rossi showed he was the older, wiser, more experienced champion on the course (with a great bike to boot!).

Two, Marquez is a child (ha... sorry for the jab) prodigy that has exceptional talent but still has some growing up to do mentally. I'm not going to play Monday morning QB and say he should have gone easier after he had a 4s lead to save the tires - who knows what he SHOULD have done or could have done there (though according to Bridgestone, he maybe should have eased off the pace a bit), but once the lead slipped and he was in a battle in the last few laps one of two things could have resulted in a MUCH better finish for him: If he had saved the tires a little more maybe he could have held Rossi off for the win or at the very least not get so hot-headed about losing the lead and take a respectable 2nd for points knowing you just don't have the grip Rossi does to beat him. Marquess wrecked himself out of that race - not Rossi. The leader has a right to any line he chooses and no one can say Rossi wrecked Marquez intentionally there. Maybe he moved to that line knowing he'd block Marquez a little, but I seriously doubt he intended to wreck him (and the officials agree).

Bonus comment: How about Dovi and a 3rd straight 2nd finish? Again, I'm not a super fan of any particular rider, but this year my heart is with Dovi and Ionnone. Those Ducs are some powerful bikes and they are making for some great races that are not just between Honda and Yamaha.

Honorable mention: Crutchlow had a pretty darn good race too. Did you see that pass at the end?

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I just wish that Ducati had to play by the same rules as everyone else.
They do.  Honda and/or Yamaha could just as easily opt to go Open Class if they wanted to.  They all play by the same rules; being in a different class is not just having different rules.  There are pros and cons to each class and as an avid fan of racing, I love seeing the Ducs back in the mix.  It keeps it more interesting.  

All will be brought more in line in the coming seasons.  I think it was a wise choice for Ducati to get some extra development before the coming changes, when things will be a little more locked down for them.  You can already see some of the improvements on the track.  

I am not a Rossi fanboy but I respect him hugely as a racer. The crash was entirely Marquez's fault. He was on the wrong side for a pass and the overlap was just dumb. Don't often see Marc's technique slip like that but a little too much aggression and lack of self control for an instant. Pity. Race for the line would have been worth the watching.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I also was pleased for Dovi. Thought he would have done much better a long time ago but just kept choosing dud bikes/teams. Like Jack Miller one of the few riders that actually manages to smile and kid about. On a completely self promoting Aussie note, Jack went from 21st to 14th for most of the race and to 12th in the last last. First CRT bike. ( He's from the road racing club I used to be in you know...) ( Please note: author is name dropping shamelessly). Think Honda could find a better rider for the other bike to replace Pedrosa while he is out. Aoyoahma is just rideing safe. Casey offered and they turned him down. That may have been fun...

Like Jack Miller one of the few riders that actually manages to smile and kid about. 
That's the number one thing I like about him.  

• 4 weeks later...

Yamaha goes 1 and 2 for the 2nd straight race with Lorenzo leading Rossi in 2nd

Some great action today, Ianonni had a great ride considering he had a separated shoulder

• Premium Member

where do you guys catch the broadcast schedule? I have caught the last two but I guess I missed todays..

That Iannone/Marquez/Smith (ha, OK not really Smith, but he was kinda in the mix at the beginning!) battle was amazing to watch! Incredible racing!

Jorge is looking great after a bit of a shaky few races. He's got a great shot at the championship if he keeps it up. It's going to be interesting to see the 2 Movistar Yamahas battle at Mugello in Rossi's backyard.

I don't have cable or satellite at home, so I bought the season long video pass. Best $150 I've spent all year! (If you're keeping track at home, I think that equates to $1,500 new dollars or something.)

That Iannone/Marquez/Smith (ha, OK not really Smith, but he was kinda in the mix at the beginning!) battle was amazing to watch! Incredible racing!  
Jorge is looking great after a bit of a shaky few races. He's got a great shot at the championship if he keeps it up. It's going to be interesting to see the 2 Movistar Yamahas battle at Mugello in Rossi's backyard.

I don't have cable or satellite at home, so I bought the season long video pass. Best $150 I've spent all year! (If you're keeping track at home, I think that equates to $1,500 new dollars or something.)
Ianonne, man, lots of respect for him wrestling the Ducati around with a separated shoulder 
And I agree, Jorge is looking like this could be a special season for him, he has ran off and left everyone the last 2 races

The Ducatis are actually back to being controllable. The way the Ducati and the Honda were shoving each other in an out was proof that the Ducati is no longer a pain in the butt to change direction. Full marks to the team for finally getting it right. Took em long enough. We will see if it stays competitive if they go to factory fuel allocation.
I so hope it isn't going to be another season of Lorenzo disappearing of the front and boring front end of the field.

I agree, but at the same time I'm OK with a boring top 3 if 4-5-6 battle it out like Moto3 every race! My heart still has not stopped racing after watching Rossi chase down Marquez in Argentina!

• Premium Member

I don't have cable or satellite at home, so I bought the season long video pass. Best $150 I've spent all year!

Damn, I think I'm gonna have to get this too. I missed it. My DVR froze up right before the race was about to start :(

- Paulie

I don't have cable or satellite at home, so I bought the season long video pass. Best $150 I've spent all year!
Damn, I think I'm gonna have to get this too. I missed it. My DVR froze up right before the race was about to start :(

- Paulie

It's well worth the price Paulie.  For ~$125, you get all races, practice sessions, etc. from Nov. 1 to Oct. 31 each year.  I pay a little extra for the "multicast" option that lets me have up to 4 streams on the screen at one time, just as the commentary, helicopter view, a specific turn, or even a stream with stats, etc.   
Ever race weekend I make sure I watch at least QP2 (sometimes QP1 first) and the MotoGP race.  You can watch all sessions, including practices and qualifying, for Moto2, Moto3 and MotoGP.  I don't use it as much as I could, but even just the QP2 and race is worth what I spend.  

So did you guys see the France Race
the battle for 4th place was freaking EPIC!!!!

Yamaha is really doing well this season

Archived