The MT-07 Forum

Distance to empty

so1102

• Premium Member

Was just thinking about this the other day as I was driving my truck -- if the bike is smart enough to calculate your MPG, then why couldn't they have taken it that one simple step further and provided a DTE (Distance To Empty) feature on the dash, letting you know exactly how many miles you have left of fuel, based upon your current fuel level and MPG?

fooschnickens

They could probably only pack so many features into the cluster, or adding that feature mean extra sensors somewhere. It really doesn't matter all that much with a big gas gauge that flashes when you're super low on gas.

I think it does do that. I believe it switches to DtE when the fuel level bar starts to flash. Also I think there is a function after the second trip meter that shows you.

Boom

I think it does do that. I believe it switches to DtE when the fuel level bar starts to flash. Also I think there is a function after the second trip meter that shows you.
It shows the distance traveled since going to reserve, not until empty. Thats when the light comes on, when you hit reserve.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

It shows the distance traveled since going to reserve, not until empty. Thats when the light comes on, when you hit reserve.
Oops my bad. It's been almost 5 months since I've been riding, due to our shitty Ontario weather. Hopefully I can get out this Thursday. 

Boom

• 11 months later...
twowheeladdict

I know, old thread.

I am doing a search to see how many miles I can go before I am pushing the bike and this came up in the search so I thought I would answer the original question.

Miles to Empty is generally calculated based on the instantaneous fuel economy and the guestimate of how much fuel is left. It will fluctuate as much as the instantaneous fuel economy fluctuates, so if there is a large hill between you and the fuel station that you thought you had time to get to, the miles to empty will drop significantly and you may or may not make it. I find it to be a useless piece of information on any vehicle I have seen it.

2015 FZ-07

Was just thinking about this the other day as I was driving my truck -- if the bike is smart enough to calculate your MPG, then why couldn't they have taken it that one simple step further and provided a DTE (Distance To Empty) feature on the dash, letting you know exactly how many miles you have left of fuel, based upon your current fuel level and MPG?
Thanks a lot! Now I hate my bike!! lol! That would be nice but there were probably a lot of "Why not this, why not that's", going on in their minds when they were at the table deciding what should go into the bike and a lot of those "why not's" were probably deemed unnecessary and "over cost". They wanted to keep it under 7k as a great selling point and they were right, it was. Maybe if they cut some corners to save some money by losing the tank sticker (ha!), some smaller mirrors, smaller turn signals, smaller tires, a non locking gas cap and then maybe they could throw in that feature for under 7k. That's how they think and it sucks, I know.

Beemer

Its pretty nerve wracking watching that low fuel light flash when you still got a distance to go for a gas station. So yes, miles till empty would have been nice.

I'm a really ***** and the longest I rode with the f trip flashing was 12 miles.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

I have done 18 miles with the f trip flash and could of done a lot more.

I know, old thread. 
I am doing a search to see how many miles I can go before I am pushing the bike and this came up in the search so I thought I would answer the original question.

Miles to Empty is generally calculated based on the instantaneous fuel economy and the guestimate of how much fuel is left. It will fluctuate as much as the instantaneous fuel economy fluctuates, so if there is a large hill between you and the fuel station that you thought you had time to get to, the miles to empty will drop significantly and you may or may not make it. I find it to be a useless piece of information on any vehicle I have seen it.
Yeah, I've seen this feature on cars, too, and I've never found it useful. I just know about what kind of mileage my vehicle gets per gallon. When does the reserve start flashing, .9 mpg maybe? If so, and you generally get about 45 mpg on your bike, you can go at least 30 miles after it starts flashing. I know I've done 30 on mine on reserve.  For most occasions, you can find a gas station within 30 miles 

twowheeladdict
You can easily go 20 miles after hitting reserve... why stress, just fill up sooner then.

Where some of us ride, we don't have the luxury of just filling up sooner. I plot out country rides and would have to force my route to gas stops because the routes rarely pass by a filling station.

2015 FZ-07

What should matter to you and your current tank of gas are two numbers. Average MPG and how many miles traveled on that tank of gas.

Official spec for the capacity is 3.7 US gallons, or 14 Liters. Being cautious, let's say your capacity is 3.5 US gal.

Estimated Range =(3.5 gal * AVG MPG)
Distance Left = Estimated Range - Distance Traveled.

As soon as my gas gauge starts flashing and I immediately fill up, I still only fill up 2.5-2.6 gallons. Leaving almost 1 gallon in the tank. Regardless of that, I find it best to fill up when I have a bar or two on the gas gauge at the end of my riding day, so I don't have to worry about gas the next time I hop on the bike. I use the above estimation when going long distances so I'm not distracted/worried by a couple flashing lights.

Wanted to test it out the other day and I got to 23.4 miles while flashing. When I filled up she took 3 gallons. I figure i could have gone another 20-25, but i'm not going to try to cut it that close

twowheeladdict
What should matter to you and your current tank of gas are two numbers. Average MPG and how many miles traveled on that tank of gas. 
Official spec for the capacity is 3.7 US gallons, or 14 Liters. Being cautious, let's say your capacity is 3.5 US gal.

Estimated Range =(3.5 gal * AVG MPG)
Distance Left = Estimated Range - Distance Traveled.

As soon as my gas gauge starts flashing and I immediately fill up, I still only fill up 2.5-2.6 gallons. Leaving almost 1 gallon in the tank. Regardless of that, I find it best to fill up when I have a bar or two on the gas gauge at the end of my riding day, so I don't have to worry about gas the next time I hop on the bike. I use the above estimation when going long distances so I'm not distracted/worried by a couple flashing lights.
Good philosophy.  I always put my bikes away full so I don't get condensation in the tank.   

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator

46 miles on reserve(flashing) before the bike started to sputter on me. Luckily the bike was going into the dealership for an oil leak and i pulled into the lot just as the sputtering started. they even topped it off before the test drive.

I normally dont push it that far but it was a good test

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

46 miles on reserve(flashing) before the bike started to sputter on me. Luckily the bike was going into the dealership for an oil leak and i pulled into the lot just as the sputtering started. they even topped it off before the test drive. 
That is really good information. 46 miles or 74 kilometers. I need to write that on a card and keep it in my wallet. I can never remember the numbers from season to season. 

That is really good information. 46 miles or 74 kilometers. I need to write that on a card and keep it in my wallet. I can never remember the numbers from season to season. 
It would also depend from area to area too.

That number was specific to his MPG, which wasn't stated. Please don't use it that number as your reserve limit, and instead calculate your own limit as your MPG changes.  
Setting a specific number to fill up works well for those bikes that don't have a gas gauge, like the R6. They stop at the next gas station seen after hitting reserve, even though they can do 30-40 miles on reserve.

• Global Moderator

dont, that was me eeeking out as much as i could channeling my inner hyper-miler

It would also depend from area to area too.

you're correct there. i live and ride at 1k-1.3k ft elevation. 

That number was specific to his MPG, which wasn't stated. Please don't use it that number as your reserve limit, and instead calculate your own limit as your MPG changes.  
Setting a specific number to fill up works well for those bikes that don't have a gas gauge, like the R6. They stop at the next gas station seen after hitting reserve, even though they can do 30-40 miles on reserve.

my mpg was around 45 combined   and as i stated earlier, the reserve bit was hyper-miling territory normally i portray hooligan-esque characteristics and love to romp on it. especially when there are other bikes around that think they're the shet

We need to know how much gas in the tank when guage starts flashing. It sounds like 1 gallon,if anyone could confirm that. Then use our own average MPG to know how far to go on reserve. 

• Global Moderator
We need to know how much gas in the tank when guage starts flashing. It sounds like 1 gallon,if anyone could confirm that. Then use our own average MPG to know how far to go on reserve. 
I can tell you here in a bit.
depending on how accurate the fuel pump is
i pulled in for a bite to eat and just as i did, the F-trip started flashing
luckily theres a gas station next door

Archived