The MT-07 Forum

Completely new rider

motocr

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Just adding to the advice to get a used smaller displacement bike first. Your wallet will thank you and you won't be so bummed when the first drop or scrape happens. I've been riding for just over 2 years on a motorcycle with 2 years on a scooter before that. I decided to spend the money on a new bike when I upgraded from the scooter (since I had the money and a stable job), but I've regretted that decision ever since. Dealership fees+ licensing+ insurance were all significantly more than I expected and within 8 months I knew I wanted a bigger bike bad enough that I was going to eat at least 1,000 on the sale of my then current bike in order to upgrade. Had I just bought I used bike to begin with I would have saved myself quite a bit of cash and not reduced my thrills in those 2 years by much.

Now you could make a case that I should have just opted for the bigger bike up front, but I guarantee that would have gotten me in trouble. I would have laid the fz-07 down hard when I was first riding if I rode it like I did the cb500.

Just to add my .02, I am also a proponent of starting off with a smaller cc bike. Prior to the FZ-07, I rode a ninja 300 which was a perfect beginners bike. Relaxed ergonomics, mild power delivery but just enough grunt to keep you interested for a while. This will help you build confidence and riding skill. After having ridden the ninja for a year, I felt I was ready to step up to a bigger bike hence the fz. My point is, you might feel at home on a bigger bike for now but when the situation arises, you might have wished you had a slower bike you can ride fast than a fast bike that you can only ride slow. Case in point, this weekend, we had a ride where one of the guys just bought his brand new Triumph street triple R and he was a fairly new rider. New as in this is his very first street bike. Well, to make a long story short, he dumped his bike in one of the twisty sections of our ride and now he might think otherwise in continuing to ride. Here's a slo mo video I caught of the crash.

Moral of the story, I guess, is whatever you decide, be safe out there and ride within your limits. If the pace of the ride is getting uncomfortable for you, there's no shame in backing off.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

Guess I'm going to have to go against most of the advice on here in reference to how big a bike to get, atleast when it you factor in an FZ07 into the equation. Most any other bike over 600 I'd say go with something smaller, but the FZ07 is such a forgiving bike. It's so light and nimble. I still can't believe how easy a bike it is to ride. I almost dropped it once forgetting to put the kickstand down, but because it was so light I was able to save it. I've ridden it a few times on the highway and I get in the mid 40's mpg around 80mph. I have a Puig sport screen and it's bearable for hour long highway rides. If I was going to be doing a 3 hour trip though I'd add a touring screen, plus a seat upgrade! I haven't found crosswind to be an issue as long as you're not daydreaming, you'll catch it in plenty of time.

If you want new, I'd say save up for an FZ07, rather than buying small and then upgrading months later. It'll save you money on taxes and hassle of dealing with dealers all over again. In all honesty though, being you're in college and cost is a factor, I'd really suggest a older SV650. Save yourself a couple grand, still have decent power and it's something you won't get bored with or uncomfortable and can keep for a couple years.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're hell bent on getting a bike (and you obviously are) that's cool. I won't try to talk you into a car, even if it would make more sense ;) And as someone who is a new rider and just bought an FZ-07, I don't think its too much bike, as long as you are a reasonable person while riding.

That being said, it is pretty fatiguing to ride on the highway for more than 30 mins or so. It just is, and it's a side effect of the upright position and no windscreen or fairing.

If budget is such a concern, there is no way in good consciousness though, I could tell you to buy a new bike (of any make or model). Look used, for something with a fairing and screen. Cheaper insurance, more suitable for longer trips, etc. No way a new bike (or any vehicle for that matter) is a good choice for someone on a tight budget.

• 4 weeks later...
Just to add my .02, I am also a proponent of starting off with a smaller cc bike. Prior to the FZ-07, I rode a ninja 300 which was a perfect beginners bike. Relaxed ergonomics, mild power delivery but just enough grunt to keep you interested for a while. This will help you build confidence and riding skill. After having ridden the ninja for a year, I felt I was ready to step up to a bigger bike hence the fz. My point is, you might feel at home on a bigger bike for now but when the situation arises, you might have wished you had a slower bike you can ride fast than a fast bike that you can only ride slow. Case in point, this weekend, we had a ride where one of the guys just bought his brand new Triumph street triple R and he was a fairly new rider. New as in this is his very first street bike. Well, to make a long story short, he dumped his bike in one of the twisty sections of our ride and now he might think otherwise in continuing to ride. Here's a slo mo video I caught of the crash.
Moral of the story, I guess, is whatever you decide, be safe out there and ride within your limits. If the pace of the ride is getting uncomfortable for you, there's no shame in backing off.
Hope he is okay after wards and gets back to it! The reason I am considering the fz is really the fact it really is cheap a good 300 around here is usually the 5000 dollars mark if they are lower they are sold before I get a chance to even catch them on craiglist, if I am going to spend 5000 dollars i can afford to wait a bit longer and spend 7k or for that matter by a r3.  

Just adding to the advice to get a used smaller displacement bike first. Your wallet will thank you and you won't be so bummed when the first drop or scrape happens. I've been riding for just over 2 years on a motorcycle with 2 years on a scooter before that. I decided to spend the money on a new bike when I upgraded from the scooter (since I had the money and a stable job), but I've regretted that decision ever since. Dealership fees+ licensing+ insurance were all significantly more than I expected and within 8 months I knew I wanted a bigger bike bad enough that I was going to eat at least 1,000 on the sale of my then current bike in order to upgrade. Had I just bought I used bike to begin with I would have saved myself quite a bit of cash and not reduced my thrills in those 2 years by much. 
Now you could make a case that I should have just opted for the bigger bike up front, but I guarantee that would have gotten me in trouble. I would have laid the fz-07 down hard when I was first riding if I rode it like I did the cb500.

If I get a smaller bike the lowest I can go is a 300, 500's are about as expensive as the 300's but rare, and 650's are hard to find. I can find 600's all day long but acceleration is better than top end on the streets. The 300's are around 5k for a decent one that isnt already sold in an hour, no current vehicle makes looking at these harder. I really do not care if I drop the bike as long as there is no mechanical damage. It is a first bike, won't be my last hopefully, and if I drop it, ding it, and ruin the paint but have the time of my life money well spent, if I don't injure myself of course.Plus there are no fairings so at worse I 3d print the plastic pieces because they crack, or need a new shifter/ foot peg, but with frame sliders its less of an issue. 

howlinhoss

Bored of a ninja 300? Sure if you ride in a straight line.

Still bored?

Bored of a ninja 300? Sure if you ride in a straight line.  

Still bored?

I am gonna be riding in the city, not very many twistez around so not much fun to be had. I want something to have fun with no matter what riding I'm doing a 300 isn't it for me.

bmwpowere36m3

I dont understand why you guys keep trying to convince the OP he needs a different bike. Obviously he's set on this thing and all he's looking for is agreement...

I think a 21 year old college student should be worried about other things... Hell, that was me only 8 years ago; so I remember it well.

It would have been nice having a bike (and I REALLY wanted one, before, during and after), but not having to work while in college allowed me to focus on studies and any free time was spent hanging out, drinking, partying.... I only worked during my coop/internships and I saved money from that for the test of the year.

A bike almost never is cheaper than a car when it comes down to $$, from safety gear, to tires, to insurance, to more frequent maintenance... And let's not forget the inconvienance when it's pouring, thunder/lightning, and/or snowing out. And to top that off, wanting a new bike and having no steady job... Ahh to be 21 again

I dont understand why you guys keep trying to convince the OP he needs a different bike. Obviously he's set on this thing and all he's looking for is agreement... 
I think a 21 year old college student should be worried about other things... Hell, that was me only 8 years ago; so I remember it well.

It would have been nice having a bike (and I REALLY wanted one, before, during and after), but not having to work while in college allowed me to focus on studies and any free time was spent hanging out, drinking, partying.... I only worked during my coop/internships and I saved money from that for the test of the year.

A bike almost never is cheaper than a car when it comes down to $$, from safety gear, to tires, to insurance, to more frequent maintenance... And let's not forget the inconvienance when it's pouring, thunder/lightning, and/or snowing out. And to top that off, wanting a new bike and having no steady job... Ahh to be 21 again

Looking for a job currently to keep through the next school year, so steady Job will be incoming shortly hopefully. I am an Architecture major no partying for us just work work work. Taking a year off for just cores meaning I can work. And I did the math a motorcycle is cheaper even with more frequent maintenence. The only way it's not cheaper is buying a shit ton of gear when you need only like 2 for my climate

• Premium Member
phicurious86
If I get a smaller bike the lowest I can go is a 300, 500's are about as expensive as the 300's but rare, and 650's are hard to find. I can find 600's all day long but acceleration is better than top end on the streets. The 300's are around 5k for a decent one that isnt already sold in an hour, no current vehicle makes looking at these harder. I really do not care if I drop the bike as long as there is no mechanical damage. It is a first bike, won't be my last hopefully, and if I drop it, ding it, and ruin the paint but have the time of my life money well spent, if I don't injure myself of course.Plus there are no fairings so at worse I 3d print the plastic pieces because they crack, or need a new shifter/ foot peg, but with frame sliders its less of an issue. 
Your mind's pretty much made up. One other thing you should do (if you haven't already done so) is call and get some quotes on insurance, since economy was one of your decision factors.

bmwpowere36m3

Looking for a job currently to keep through the next school year, so steady Job will be incoming shortly hopefully. I am an Architecture major no partying for us just work work work. Taking a year off for just cores meaning I can work. And I did the math a motorcycle is cheaper even with more frequent maintenence. The only way it's not cheaper is buying a shet ton of gear when you need only like 2 for my climate
A job in college isn't what I'd call steady... and I was an mechanical engineering major, so I know what a lot of studying is.  I wasn't a "party-animal"... but I had a good time that I wouldn't trade for anything.  Not going to argue about cost, I believe you've never owned a motorcycle... right?  Plus your going to leave it parked on campus, outdoors, year-round?  Winter?  Theft?
Do you not already have a car?  Maybe this is a bit pompous... but I had car since I was 16.  I didn't take it with me to college, but I had a burning desire for years and years to get a bike.  The biggest factor was honestly my parents being against it.  It wasn't till I was 24 yrs or so that I got my first bike.

Ok here is my little opinion for what it is worth. (background: riding motorcycles in Australia for 44years . Racing dirt, track road, short circuit, touring ( 2 trips of over 6000km and hundreds of 700km, Do all my own wrenching)
The MT is an ideal bike for this defined purpose.
Reasons:
It will cruise all day at the required speed. It has a high torque motor and broad spread of power/torque in the ranges required for comfortable and spirited riding.
The motor is outstandingly smooth.
Footpeg position is more forward than a sports bike but not as far as a "cruiser" so a good balance of handling feedback without cramped position ( depending on you biomechanical elements).
If you can get an ABS, it one will help keep you alive when stuff happens when you are starting to lose attention on a long ride ( saved my life in a north Queensland monsoon when travelling 350km to my girlfirend's place for exactly that reason).
Light bikes are less tiring to ride distance. Do not be fooled by the bigger is better arguement. You only need 10HP to go 60mph. A heavy bike is aweful to move around after you have been in the saddle for hours.
It gets good fuel economy, but let down by a totally inadequate sized tank ( certainly for distances between fuel stations in Australia. Don't know about US).
The stock seat is not spectacularly comfortable but easily fixable. Same can be said for most bikes including BMW's.
Wind deflector pretty much mandatory if you want anything close to a pleasant ride in anything other than perfect conditions.
Lots of stuff available at reasonable prices to optimize the bike for you purpose except hard luggage cases though that will only be a matter of time considering the popularity of this bike.
I completely disagree about the wind effect. I live in an extremely windy town. One of the first things I noticed about this particular bike was the lack of effect of a side wind. Sidewind effect is more a function of shape( crossection and form to wind vector) than weight ( something an architect will no doubt already know).

Cons:
You will need a metric tool set including metric Allen and Torx keys. AND A TORQUE wrench.
Bike would be more comfortable and get better fuel economy if geared harder ( lower rpm per MPH). It is undergeared for distance. It has been geared as a commuter and stunt bike. Plenty of torque low in the range would allow much lower rpm at touring speed especially if you want to ride at 80mph.
You will probably Have to do something with the seat ( but as I said above most bikes are the same).
You possibly will become a motorcyclist...This is a fun bike to ride and you may attain a dependency on two wheeled transport. The only known cure is death or serious injury ( or perhaps one of those brainwashing camps).
Note: This particular bike has a handling quirk which I would normally recommend against for a first time rider. The weight bias is extremely rearward. If you have dirt experience this will be less of a problem as the stable cornering technique on this machine requires you to slide forward and weight the front tyre when cornering. Think motard though maybe not as extreme. It is fixeable with stiffer rear springs and a less slack head angle but if you are a first time bike person GET A SUSPENSION EXPERT to see if he can get you some more front grip.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Just noticed the minimialism statement. You many be dismayed by the number of style elements on this bike which actually have no function. Some of which are actually detrimental to some degree. A Bauhausian statement this bike ain't

America is stupid with our ride whatever you like rules. A 250 is still going to be faster than most cars on the road.

My suggestion is this:
3-5k on the car (I picked up an 01 civic with 70k for $5700 last year)
Something like a sentra, or protege. They are just as reliable but don't have the Honda/Toyota tax
Then go out and buy your motorcycle gear ~700-1500
Now you can go shopping for a bike, you can find an older 250-550cc for $500-1200 easily

Then learn how to ride it and enjoy it. You can sell it next season for a small loss or if you get something like a GS550 you could turn it into a project and increase the power quite a bit.

Don't jump on your first bike when it's something that will lift it's wheel if you accidentally give it too much gas. As fast car is NOTHING like a fast bike

America is stupid with our ride whatever you like rules. A 250 is still going to be faster than most cars on the road. 
My suggestion is this:
Something like a sentra, or protege. They are just as reliable but don't have the Honda/Toyota tax
Now you can go shopping for a bike, you can find an older 250-550cc for $500-1200 easily

Then learn how to ride it and enjoy it. You can sell it next season for a small loss or if you get something like a GS550 you could turn it into a project and increase the power quite a bit.

Don't jump on your first bike when it's something that will lift it's wheel if you accidentally give it too much gas. As fast car is NOTHING like a fast bike

Two things one you can not find bikes that cheap in the areas I'd be able to pick one up for, I have been looking on Craigslist and sites for over 9 months.
Secondly insurance on those cars is outrageous compared to a bike.

I'm looking for a used fz07 before a new anyway I have several months before I have the money regardless, but the car is more money read through the posts and I've detailed out the cost comparisons.

My suggestion is this:

Two things one you can not find bikes that cheap in the areas I'd be able to pick one up for, I have been looking on Craigslist and sites for over 9 months.
Secondly insurance on those cars is outrageous compared to a bike.

I'm looking for a used fz07 before a new anyway I have several months before I have the money regardless, but the car is more money read through the posts and I've detailed out the cost comparisons.
Yes you can, here is an XJ550 for $900 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/4973942137.html a kz550 for $1300 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/4942899093.html and a z250 for 1100.Though I concede a 250 for 3.5hrs would be annoying. 
"Insurance right now 64 ish for 21 year old on the fz07 I was paying 58 on my car" Your insurance rates are barely anything for either the bike or the car (also, quite a few economical imports for around $3000 with sub 100k miles in the area)
What it really sounds like is you want a bike, you want a bigger bike, and you want it now. There are plenty of options for you. An older bike and a car, a car and a 250, use the car for the long rides etc etc.

The thing is that you will learn great skills on a 250 because they are so damn flickable and forgiving. You can then transfer those skills to a bigger bike easier than you can learn them on a bigger bike.

However, do what you want, you're old enough to make your own decisions. Just because my decision would be older/smaller bike + car doesn't mean yours has to.

Hope I don't come off like too big of an ass.

• 1 month later...

XJ550 is a bike that doesn't get the importance it deserves. VERY good bike in it's time. THE first 4 cyl bike with a stacked gearbox and narrow cases. Very smooth useable motor and, with decent rear shocks and a fork kit, handled as good as the race bikes. They will be getting long in the tooth relaibility wise and parts availability wise but a GREAT CLASSIC bike.

Archived