The MT-07 Forum

Completely new rider

motocr

Hello everyone. Names motocr, 21 year old college student here. I'm really considering getting a fz07 as a first bike and would really love some feed back. I've looked every where online, read articles, forums, and watched motovloggers on the subject so of course I know 250 and 300 bikes or 500 and 650s are kings for beginners but for my needs I think the fz07 fits me fine.

THE SITUATION and background info
So I am not entirely new to motorcycles my grandfather taught me to ride a dirt bike when I was 16 ish I have about a week of experience give or take on that in the woods of GA so I know how to shift and the mechanics well but have not driven on the road. Never seemed to need a motorcycle given my major is architecture and I need a car for materials. Not so much with zip cars and friends. My first car which recently broke down was an 87 Camaro pushing 430 hp and that is what I learned to drive in when I was 8 my dad passed and I've been restoring it. I learned to drive it in my grandmother's back yard after my dad passed at 10. So at 19 I started fixing it sense I had some cash and needed a ride. I respected that vehicle which could easily kill me different from a motorcycle but it's an example of the respect I have for vehicles. Anyways I learned to drive in that car and learned to drive better in a Dodge neon before I fixed the camaro. The Camaro became my primary transportation and I could Park that tank better than most smart car owners because I learned the vehicle. A few months ago the transmission went out I've had a lot of problems with it and want to restore it in memory if my father but money is tight with college and I am at college 3. 5 hrs drive from home and family and need to work part time up here so that brings me to motorcycles and this forum.

THE PROBLEM:
So now I've explained why I need transportation and the power I'm used to. I have tools because all the work on the Camaro I did or had help from family members to do and would do any maintenance on a motorcycle myself so compared to my car and the money I was putting in it just in gas I'd be saving a lot of money. I know maintenance is more often in a bike but I'd do it myself and it'd be less than I did on my car with slowly fixing different things on it while driving it. My conundrum is that I need an everyday bike but I also drive down i75 3 1/5 hrs straight to visit family so I need something that has the power to keep up at 80 mph with cars speeding by without pushing the bike to its limit. That's why I'm leaning away from 250 and 300 plus given my cars power I'd get bored of them quite soon. That's where the fz07 comes in it seems to have the torque and power id want to drive long distances yet fun enough and a good starter. So I'm curious if you guys think this bike would be a good fit? I'm leaning away from 600s but funny thing is insurance is cheaper on a cbr 600 than an fz07 go figure.

Sorry for the long thread and I'd answer any questions and thanks for any feedback!

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I think this should have gone in new rider advise. my two cents would be this:

1987 Camaro with 430 hp 7.8 lb/hp
2015 FZ-07 5.7 lb/hp
2015 Ninja 300 11 lb/hp
2015 Honda CBR500R 10 lb/hp
2015 Honda NC700X 8.4 lb/hp

The reason I mention the other two motorcycles is you indicate that you will need to ride this on the highway for 3 1/2 hours. The FZ-07 is an awesome bike but unless you have the budget to put on a windscreen and a few other accessories it is not a long distance traveling machine. The last three bikes I listed will give you better wind protection for the highway and the NC already has some storage built in. I think these would be better options IMHI.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

I love my FZ-07, but I am not sure I would still love it after 3 1/2 hours on the freeway. I hate to say it but the NC700X would be a better bike for long freeway rides.

I love my FZ but it is not exactly the best highway machine out there. Had i known this prior to buying the bike i probably would have gone with something else.

Granted, my sample and experience size is one, ie the FZ as it is my first and only bike.

• Premium Member

Yeah, like others have said, not the best highway bike unless you get some upgrades such a new seat for sure, and suspension. The stock seat will numb your butt in a matter of an hour or so...

Ok. So this is what I get from the OP... Car broke down, college student, travels a lot, and money is tight. If I didn't miss anything, I'd say an FZ-07 might not be the way to go. Sounds like you will probably do all the maintenance yourself so there's some money saved but insurance is gonna hit you hard as a young beginning rider. The gas money you save from riding a bike will only go to paying insurance. And honestly, if I had to commute that 3.5 hours everyday like that, it wouldn't be on a bike. It'll be in a car. I once did a 1500 mile trip on an R1 but that was when I was young and my ass was a lot firmer.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for everyone who wants an FZ-07 to have one. But you said money is tight and you're commuting all the time. And you're looking for transportation that'll save you money. If I was in you're shoes I'd probably get an old Honda Civic for commuting purposes and an R6 (used of course) for pleasure purposes. Besides gas, I don't know how a bike would save you money.

If money is tight and you're in college I say skip the motorcycle completely until your finances are stable. Buy a used commuter car and wait till you have a full time job and stable steady income. You're just asking for financial woes otherwise. A used Honda Civic will cost less, get just as good gas mileage, travel far better, and cost less to insure a month.

The money you saved choosing the civic over a motorcycle can go to fixing the camero you obviously care for.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

The FZ-07 is a light bike 397 lbs wet.  If you were to take this bike on a highway on a very windy day, it could be dangerous.  You could possibly be blown into another lane because of those winds. 

• Global Moderator

HI @motocr, thanks for joining our forum. I will have to agree with the others, if I were you and money was tight, I would probably choose a decent and cheap to operate car (Civic/Corolla or something) and forget about a FZ-07 for now. Once you've financially landed on your feet you could consider a fun bike like the FZ07.

The 3.5 hr commute is like every now and then not every day! I live on my college campus and literally won't drive over 20 miles to my job there and back. Insurance right now 64 ish for 21 year old on the fz07 I was paying 58 on my car. My car got around 15mpg so yeah any bike is more than enough to compensate me for for insurance difference. I would also save in maintenence cost from my car. If I went with a Honda or something I'd have to buy it and put it in someone else's name such as my grandmother to get anywhere near close to the bike. That's with the car insurance with me as a secondary driver. The usage I'd get out of a honda doesn't justify the extra cost as in I'd go to my job and back. However I see myself going out more on a motorcycle. The way I broke it down was cost of my old vehicle as my standard rate of cost of what I can pay base. What I'd save with a bike and usage statistics between a bike and car. I'd get more out of a motorcycle for less money. Plus I'm in to minimalism. Thanks for the advice though sorry for the confusion of commuting!

Ok. So this is what I get from the OP... Car broke down, college student, travels a lot, and money is tight. If I didn't miss anything, I'd say an FZ-07 might not be the way to go. Sounds like you will probably do all the maintenance yourself so there's some money saved but insurance is gonna hit you hard as a young beginning rider. The gas money you save from riding a bike will only go to paying insurance. And honestly, if I had to commute that 3.5 hours everyday like that, it wouldn't be on a bike. It'll be in a car. I once did a 1500 mile trip on an R1 but that was when I was young and my ass was a lot firmer.  
Don't get me wrong, I would love for everyone who wants an FZ-07 to have one. But you said money is tight and you're commuting all the time. And you're looking for transportation that'll save you money. If I was in you're shoes I'd probably get an old Honda Civic for commuting purposes and an R6 (used of course) for pleasure purposes. Besides gas, I don't know how a bike would save you money.

I just commented a bit on this to vi5a but it would cost me in my current situation more for a Honda civic or corolla.

Walmart a 15 minute walk out my door my summer jobs less than 20 minutes there and back and I'm a full time architecture student so most of the year I do not drive. 3 years of this left.

This is where the savings come in. 6 months at around 10 dollars for gas all together ish, and insurance is lower than a car. Gas savings, and insurance savings, cover the initial cost difference in more or less than a year or 2. If I buy a fz07 new, I'm waiting till fall may get a good used price on a fz07 ;). I'm looking at around 5000 for a car so really 6000 after fees the price areas close.

This is ignoring the fact of if I can find a decent used civic or honda they go fast! . I also wouldn't drive that often so I'm paying insurance for a car to sit there.

Insurance wise is speculation I'm not planning on buying till fall anyway however I can insure a cbr600rr for $36 a month. Considering the fz07 is new no crash data I suspect the insurance will lower in a year at least a little bit if just 5 dollars . Car insurance because of my age is high, the least I could get my Camaro being a 87 was $76 I think a month. Just priced a 2005 honda civic in my name $105 a month. That's 40 dollars a month savings in insurance towards the bike $480 a year difference on basic coverage only the bare legal minimum.

Maintenance costs is sorta the same. Compared to my Camaro I'd be saving a crap ton as I was always fixing this or that. For a used civic or corolla I'd be replacing more than likely one part give or take and usually at around $5000 the car will be well used and due for some random sensor issue, Shade Yard Tree Mechanic here love old school it's simple.
Regular oil changes and breaks and tune ups I'd do myself, same with the fz07. Based off riding usage it's about even out I'd save more on a car I'm sure cause everyone that rides rides just to ride not just transport.

Gas wise a 2005 civic gets 30-35 mpg 23 more for the fz07 fuely average I think is 50? Don't quote me.

It's very close in cost till insurance. Granted I have 6 months per semester almost where I won't ride or drive much that extra money does nothing for me.

Still very close but the bike is cheaper by alot if insurance lowers. I'm also considering the R3 which 36 dollars I think for insurance a month. That's why I'm leaning towards a motorcycle. I'd have a brand new or close to brand new reliable transportation method, an outlet for school stress, a lifetime hobby, there's also parking in Atlanta that becomes much easier for where I'll be going there.

BEFORE ANY ONE MENTIONS GEAR!
Gear would be offset as a difference to the cars good new tires, battery, spark plugs, wires, oil change, coolant flush, all of what I'd do before I trusted the car to go anywhere not knowinf the precious owner. Tires are at least $500 for a cheap set.

HI @motocr, thanks for joining our forum. I will have to agree with the others, if I were you and money was tight, I would probably choose a decent and cheap to operate car (Civic/Corolla or something) and forget about a FZ-07 for now. Once you've financially landed on your feet you could consider a fun bike like the FZ07.

These trips 3.5 hrs are few and far between and only for a night or two so a windscreen and back packs plenty fine. As long as I have a quiet helmet I'd probably be fine, humans adapt and if I start on a naked bike I'd be used to the wind as I learn to ride. Yes I'm underestimating this but I drove my car without ac in GA summer I'm used to fatigue, no power steering also awful at low speeds.

I think this should have gone in new rider advise. my two cents would be this: 
1987 Camaro with 430 hp 7.8 lb/hp
2015 FZ-07 5.7 lb/hp
2015 Ninja 300 11 lb/hp
2015 Honda CBR500R 10 lb/hp
2015 Honda NC700X 8.4 lb/hp

The reason I mention the other two motorcycles is you indicate that you will need to ride this on the highway for 3 1/2 hours. The FZ-07 is an awesome bike but unless you have the budget to put on a windscreen and a few other accessories it is not a long distance traveling machine. The last three bikes I listed will give you better wind protection for the highway and the NC already has some storage built in. I think these would be better options IMHI.

You are a beginning motorcycle rider.I'd start with a smaller and lighter and less expensive motorcycle since this is your very first bike.Eventually, you will want something bigger, but that's the point and method of learning and gaining experience.

• Premium Member

Man, I don't know how often these 3.5 hour rides would be, but I don't see anything wrong with going with a smaller bike if that won't be your main use for it.

If saving money is really a concern, getting a 250/300 would save you tons of money compared to anything bigger (insurance/MPG wise).

One other thing to consider is that sport bikes like a CBR600rr will be way more aggressive in seating than the FZ. It might be cheaper, but 3.5 hours on that will be killer.

250/300s are a bit more upright than a 600+ sport bike. Taking breaks on your 3.5 hour trip would be highly recommended regardless. Like every hour, stop for 5-10 minutes?

Have you considered models outside the sport bikes?

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I live around Atlanta and am 22 sport bikes are a better fit for urban riding, I'm against 250/300 a bit because I'd get tired of it quickly, 600s may be aggressive but at the same time I'm stopping at least once for gas anyways so stopping often won't be that bad but I probably won't go with a 600 unless I find a damn good deal. As far as the trips Christmas, a week in may, and that's about it unless someone needs something which has happened 3 times this year. So it's not that often. At the same time to get to Atlanta I am going to have to use i75 and Highway drivers are retarded no matter what Highway or interstate, so having a bike that is more powerful will help me keep up with the traffic without stressing the bike out. I'm highly considering the new r3 but it's Gass milage is about the same as the fz07, more motor on the fz. It's also reviewed as having decent passing power.

Man, I don't know how often these 3.5 hour rides would be, but I don't see anything wrong with going with a smaller bike if that won't be your main use for it.  
If saving money is really a concern, getting a 250/300 would save you tons of money compared to anything bigger (insurance/MPG wise).

One other thing to consider is that sport bikes like a CBR600rr will be way more aggressive in seating than the FZ. It might be cheaper, but 3.5 hours on that will be killer.

250/300s are a bit more upright than a 600+ sport bike. Taking breaks on your 3.5 hour trip would be highly recommended regardless. Like every hour, stop for 5-10 minutes?

Have you considered models outside the sport bikes?

pantheraleo

Motocr, I believe the r3 is a much better starter bike than the fz-07. You may outgrow it, but it is much less likely to get you in trouble or hurt you.

Insurance cost could be a factor, too.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

What I'm probably going to do is after the msf course go test ride a few bikes and see, I live on a college campus that's dead at night so regardless I'll be riding around every night to build skills and practice everything so I figure 30 hrs a week of riding practicing can make up for a lot of the differences and noobness .

Motocr, I believe the r3 is a much better starter bike than the fz-07. You may outgrow it, but it is much less likely to get you in trouble or hurt you. 
Insurance cost could be a factor, too.

• Global Moderator

Make sure you get on a freeway when you test ride. The wind blast is fun for short runs, but see how they compare as after a couple of hours of riding it would make a big difference. As far as the smaller versus bigger bike debate there are good arguments on both sides. I think it comes down to a personal choice; you know yourself better than we do :). Have you considered a good used Ninja 300 that you could sell after a year or two and probably come close to breaking even on a trade for a larger bike?

ratherbebiking

I rode motox for many years then went on a ten year bike hiatus. At 40, I am back on a bike and I would say the FZ, while a fantastic bike is not for a new - new rider. There is a lot of torque that can get a guy in trouble. Without years of motox I would have been over my head. Just my .02

• Premium Member

It's around 2.5 hours to see my dad, and we usually ride around some more when I get there. I'm able to handle it, since it's every so often. I do intend to get a screen to extend my comfort. I'm a bit sore and worn out after a day like that. Multiples would get old, unless you avoid the interstate.

As for passing power, it has plenty. Way more than enough. I actually got pulled over yesterday... caught while passing a group of erratic schmucks. Cruising at interstate speeds, the bike gains around 10-15 mph in just the time it takes to pin the throttle.

Everything went braap.

I don't think I could break even or trade up because I don't know what the financial situation will be at time to buy. If I got a 300 I'd probably make it work but I don't know about the money situation atm. If I get a job which I'm looking for end of April early may and I know I can keep it through next fall classes and spring I may get a 300 and save for an upgrade.

All I'm all I haven't made up my mind lol. Decent 300s around here are also $3500-$5000 usually $5000 is what you find on Craigslist I haven't found any $2500 -$ 3500 300s that haven't been laid down a few times or engine work needed.

The thing in my mind is If I'm gonna spend 5000 for a used bike or 5500 for like a new r3 or 300 why not wait 2 or 3 months and get a fz07 I'd probably be able to get it with prices before fees at 6081 I'd be traveling to pick it up "on paper" my actual residence is back home so I'd get a bit knocked off for that so around msrp after fees would be about right given I'll be buying around September.

It's like being able to get a 12" cake for 50 dollars or a 40" cake for 70 dollars will I be able to eat the 4o inch all at once? No. But is it a better deal? Yes.

Make sure you get on a freeway when you test ride. The wind blast is fun for short runs, but see how they compare as after a couple of hours of riding it would make a big difference. As far as the smaller versus bigger bike debate there are good arguments on both sides. I think it comes down to a personal choice; you know yourself better than we do :). Have you considered a good used Ninja 300 that you could sell after a year or two and probably come close to breaking even on a trade for a larger bike?

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I rode motox for many years then went on a ten year bike hiatus. At 40, I am back on a bike and I would say the FZ, while a fantastic bike is not for a new - new rider. There is a lot of torque that can get a guy in trouble. Without years of motox I would have been over my head. Just my .02
I too am a completely new rider (Didn't ride dirt bikes as a kid, Did a lot of Bicycling, took a MSF course). The FZ-07 is my first motorcycle I have owned. The only reason why I bought the FZ over others is that I do not expect to have money available in the future for another bike purchase. That being said I invested in two things: 
1. Frame, Fork, and Axle sliders
2. 35 kW limiter kit

The first is self explanatory. The second is available from a vendor in the UK. It allows you to only open the throttle half way and cuts the power to 46 hp. I will be keeping this on while I build up my skills (probably the entirety of the first riding season). This may be an option but again it adds to an already high price tag for a new motorcycle especially if you don't know our financial situation.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

[attachment id=114" thumbnail="1]I think a Honda CB 500 X would make a nice bike for you. It has an adjustable wind screen, plenty of power and it's comfortable. Check one out.

Beemer

Archived