The MT-07 Forum

Getting wife onboard?

farmer67

My wife was resistant at first. It wasn't her decision, it was mine.

I bought her a nice scooter so we can take slow, safe rides together to cute places like the beach, brunch, small stores by the water, etc. We go out together once every 2 weeks. If your wife won't consider getting a scooter or bike for herself you can take her out for 20mph rides in the neighborhood to help her feel like she's a part of this new experience. Instead of creating space between you, the bike can bring you closer if you avoid experiences that will scare her.

Newly married hehe. Don't remember what that's like anymore. Maybe convince her with all the body armor and gear you will be wearing 24/7 on the bike?

Like somebody else suggested, a decade ago, I did the financial argument. We decided to be a one car family always and 'poor me' will take the hit and drive around on bikes. She was hesitant, but being young and broke, the savings was considerable. Only had one accident in college. She took it in stride and nursed me back to health. And I still live on the bike. Funny thing with all the above suggestions - I have done the scooter as well!

Maybe it is a good exercise for you guys to learn to not make any one thing too big a deal and just go with the flow. Good luck. Even with your experience, just be super careful.

Guest sportyeight

So I asked the wife why she has never objected to me riding after seeing all the bad hospital stuff. And she said:
"Why would I? It's your choice."

Then I told her what your wife said and her response was something like, You see lots of people mangled in drunk driving accidents, but that doesn't mean you don't leave the house just because it's Friday night.

• Premium Member
Not every guy has a wife as cool as @hippiebikerchick  
Maybe you guys could pay her per instance to call your wives and talk sense into them?
No disrespect to hippiebikerchick, she seems as cool as you can be, but my wife (and the reason I married her) is so cool about my hobbies and interests that is not an issue.  I could go out and buy a new GoldWing tomorrow, and she'd ask if we could take it South for some warm weather. :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

Wise old saying. "If you want to ride a motorcycle, first choose you wife carefully" Preferably one who already rides. However be prepared for her to outride you, and accept in good grace.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

My wife and step mom and brother were all totally against it. I got my bike anyway. My wife only worked about a mile away and needed a ride one day. I rode the bike there with an extra helmet and told her if she wanted a ride home, this was it. She got on the back...was a little scared at first, but now she will grab me by the sides, squeeze and say "give it some gas baby". Mom still hates it though.

At a certain point I just realized that I was tired of living in everyone else's fear.  Like Cruzin said, you got once...Make It Count.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

My wife is the one who wanted a motorcycle years ago, so we decided to finally ride together in the last year or so and I got my bike, my wife is taking the MSF course next week on the 11th, and then either next week, or after she takes the course, we're going out bike shopping for her.

Oh yeah, only reason why I am posting that, not trying to be an ass, but it relates, she is a nurse in the ICU. And since @dennimoto's wife is a nurse who rides, and so is my wife... bringing up that she is a nurse isn't the main cause for your wife's opinions/beliefs, its just what is inherently in her. I bet whatever job she has, she would feel the same way.

You can always just throw statistics her way. Avg. annual motorcycle deaths in US: 4,000. Avg. annual car deaths in the US: 30,000. Tell her you don't like her driving a car because she is highly likely to get killed in one.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

About ten years ago I stopped doing everything the way my wife wanted and played my own life. We have not slept in the same bed since. My advice to you is not to take advice from me.

There's a reason why im not married. As cruizin said, its my movie, my life and if someone wants to share it with me they better be ready to accept the WHOLE picture, not just pieces of it or parts of it that THEY choose. That to me seems extremely selfish but its also from a males perspective so its quite biased...

FUCK that shit.

I understand compromise and i get the concept of a happy union but to the married guys out there, here is a question. Why do you believe it is OK for your wife to dictate what YOU want to do? I understand how one sided that question is as it doesnt really take into account your wifes feelings but my response to that is that they're irrational. We dont get to choose the time that we float up into space and reconnect with Xenu or whichever god, deity or object you worship. Living your life in fear of what COULD happen just doesnt cut the mustard to me and i will never understand the overly emotional response that women give when they confront fears.

Having typed all of that out, i can see yet again why i am not married, i dont have the patience for it. :P

How's that for probably the most narcissistic post in this thread? :P

Men need someone to tell them what to do. I never would've wanted kids. I never would've wanted to be married. I would've just been by myself surfing the internet, beating off, watching movies, playing videogames, just playing around in general. No purpose. Nothing. Someone asks me, you want kids? HELL NO. You want to be married? HELL NO! Then I would be old, lonely, and die. Whether or not I would be fulfilled or not I cannot say. But lonely, yes, without a doubt.

Without someone to tell you something, most men will be boys until the day they die. I know I would've. I still am. But I've got kids and I'm married which slightly alters my behavior to be far more responsible than I really am. I am not a responsible person. Not when left alone at least. But with the influence of those around you, people you need to protect, nurture, you become a better person. You become a more responsible person.

Your wife telling you to do this or that... its part of nature. Its part of their dna encoding. Of course, this isn't every person. But most men are designed to impregnate someone, then move on to another person and continue. Their hard-wiring is to propagate with as many people as possible. But we don't do that, right? Not the majority of guys.... some cultures still do it... modern cultures in america, but let's not focus on that right now. We're not meant to be monogamous, yet we still do it, because we can. Being with someone to tell you what to do, sounds horrible. It sounds against our nature, and it is. Because if we went with what is in our nature, we generally aren't the best. We would be a mess. Look at all those deadbeat dads living in Florida, lots of illegitimate children running around not knowing who their father is. That is in our nature. That is what we did long time ago, that is what is in our DNA. But most of us choose to be better. And having someone to sheathe us, that is just a part of us trying to be better.

At least that's how I look at it. Disagree with me or not. But if you are married, you've already partly agreed with what I wrote because marriage is truly not in our DNA, we just are trying to be better.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

So, you need someone else to make you better?

The greatest hardships, trials and tribulations in my life have been overcome by me and me alone.

I do agree with your statements concerning how we, as men are hardwired to find a mate but beyond that, i really do believe that we are evolving out of that, or CAN evolve out of that. We have a choice, whereas a zillion years ago, what else was there to do but find a woman, club her over the head and start pumping her to produce children? Siring children was PART of our natural desire to survive.

These days, a fulfilling life can be had without the prospect of marriage or children. Note, i didnt say without company, simply marriage. I am 31 years old and all i want to do is anything BUT get married and to me, that is absolute freedom to choose where my life will go without any encumbrances. Now, im not saying that marriage has to be a shackle but i see way too many married people that jump into marriage before they are self actualized end up using said marriage as a crutch. "My wife made me better". "Happy wife, happy life". Fuck that shit, its not your responsibility to make another person happy or whole. It is your responsibility when you commit to a relationship to enhance their life, however they are living it. You are an accessory, not a vital part of a functioning engine.

Again, im not married for a reason actually alot of reasons. :P

Guest sportyeight
hardships, trials and tribulations in my life
These things did not exist for me before marriage. :D

Archived