The MT-07 Forum

Post your LED Ideas and pics of your LED upgrades.

Cruizin

If ya find an LED solution that might work for the FZ-07 or if you upgrade to LED, please post pics or links in here.

Here is one, Speedmetal LED Upgrade from Cycle Gear. Reading their customer reviews, this seems to be a great LED upgrade for $60. this one actually has a reflector system to achieve an actual light pattern instead of just uneven light patterns like on other systems. I don't usually care for Speedmetal or Cyclegear, but they seemed to have put some R&D into this product.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fooschnickens
Perhaps motorcycle LEDs aren't fully ripe yet.
The technology is there, but it's not cheap. When a $70 part can give you 60% of the performance of a $200 retrofit kit, people are going to go for the $70 option every time. With a few small refinements the cyclops kit could be way better than it is now. 

• Global Moderator

I literally have the money for an LED headlight sitting in my bedside table. My coin jar has $80 in it waiting to go to the first good bulb option.

Perhaps motorcycle LEDs aren't fully ripe yet.
The technology is there, but it's not cheap. When a $70 part can give you 60% of the performance of a $200 retrofit kit, people are going to go for the $70 option every time. With a few small refinements the cyclops kit could be way better than it is now.
Wait, you telling me there are 200 dollar kits I can buy that will be the answer to my problems right now?

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

For my LED upgrade I went with link. It will admit its a bit pricey but i was very satisfied when I got the product. Its very high quality installation was a snap and best part is it comes with a lifetime warranty. 

• Global Moderator
For my LED upgrade I went with link. It will admit its a bit pricey but i was very satisfied when I got the product. Its very high quality installation was a snap and best part is its comes with a lifetime warranty. 
How do you like the light pattern of this bulb?  Did you have to modify anything or was it plug and play?  I will happily pay more if it is a worthwhile upgrade. 

For my LED upgrade I went with link. It will admit its a bit pricey but i was very satisfied when I got the product. Its very high quality installation was a snap and best part is its comes with a lifetime warranty. 
Someone needs to post nighttime pics asap!  Although I see that one advises you not to have DRLs on... guessing because it is 70w?  You running stock blinkers with the running lights on with those headlights?

How do you like the light pattern of this bulb?  Did you have to modify anything or was it plug and play?  I will happily pay more if it is a worthwhile upgrade. 
The light pattern is so much better compared to the HID setup I was running before which I had issues with but with this LED setup no issues so far. There are no modifications just plug and play, literally took me 2mins to install. I was very unsure about purchasing this Kit due to the price but after seeing
 review for them it won me over. The review for the LED starts at 4:05

Someone needs to post nighttime pics asap!  Although I see that one advises you not to have DRLs on... guessing because it is 70w?  You running stock blinkers with the running lights on with those headlights?
Haha i'm afraid its gonna be a while before i can post night time pics gonna be away from home for about a week but yea i did see that its not advised for DRLs, but i went went for it anyway. Not sure why exactly, but your guess is as good as mine. I am running LED blinkers with these headlight.

Huh -- unfortunately I bought the cyclops one before I heard the negative things about it -- it should be here tomorrow. Perhaps it's worth it to return it... 
[Edit -- I'm going to pick up the Speedmetal one today, and I'll keep everyone posted with my results here]

don't get me wrong, the Cyclops is a good product, it's just that the deatil didn't work out for them to be a supporting Vendor and I do not want to open a store yet and sell just that product.

But someday, we will have our store. And Premium Members will get discounts!

Definitely getting that when I get paid. Thanks for posting it in here!

fooschnickens

Just found these turn signals after poking around online:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-pcs-Pazoma-Motorcycle-LED-Mini-Blinker-FRECCE-turn-signals-indicators-with-Daytime-Running-Light-and/1106470344.html

Not a big fan of the rear versions, but the fronts look pretty nice. Both versions have 4 wires, so they can easily be set up as DRLs without a blinker genie, and the rears can be used in tandem with your brake light. They're $36 a pair which seems pretty reasonable and the angular design looks like it would flow great with out bikes. They have a generic 2-wire amber version, too, I may grab a whole set so everything will match.

For my LED upgrade I went with link. It will admit its a bit pricey but i was very satisfied when I got the product. Its very high quality installation was a snap and best part is it comes with a lifetime warranty. 
Thanks for linking this here. I just did the install yesterday and holy crap it's bright! I can see the beam in broad daylight. It took me a while to figure out where to put the extra little box, but it was very easy to install aside from that.

• Premium Member

Just to add my $0.02, I ended up going with the Cyclops 3800 Lumen one that @fooschnickens reviewed, and I had much better results. They must have done a minor redesign between the time he got his and I got mine. The light went in easily, the pattern is great, and the light is very very bright. All for $65.

TL;DR; - I think perhaps the Cyclops one is finally ready for primetime

fooschnickens
Just to add my $0.02, I ended up going with the Cyclops 3800 Lumen one that @fooschnickens reviewed, and I had much better results. They must have done a minor redesign between the time he got his and I got mine. The light went in easily, the pattern is great, and the light is very very bright. All for $65. 
TL;DR; - I think perhaps the Cyclops one is finally ready for primetime
As it turns out, I got a defective unit. I sent them an email right before I left work and when I got home I had a reply. They're sending me a new one first thing tomorrow so I'll be able to swap them out soon and then modify my review to reflect how it should REALLY work XD 

I also have unfree Cyclopse LED bulb at home all new. Darryl has been fantastic. Best customer service, waiting till the 13-15th of this month to see the resuLts when I have time to install it. Excited. Seems to good to be true. Anyone else with any input please let me know. I do know the led should have one led on each side on low beam, and all four on high bean. Right from Darryl. So that would make the beam, An pattern way way better then the pictures above on this review or topic.

Guest brickst3r
New LED turn signals front and back 
LeMMqL2l.jpg
ItD7dbZl.jpg

Hey cjwwd2, where did you get those indicators? also did you have to get something to mount the front because taking out the stock signals leaves a really big hole right?

Yeah @brickst3r, pretty much any front signal replacement you get, you will most likely always need to buy plate adapters.

Plastic plate adapters may or may not work for you, they broke after one ride for me so I had to get aluminum adapters. An extra 5 bucks, I'd say its worth it for piece of mind.  Never again with the plastic adapters for me.  They were a waste of my time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331462850335?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

^The only issue I have with Creese1's aluminum plates are his fit and finish isn't the best.  Lots of rough edges and nicks.  Free shipping to US so 15 bucks total cost.  Alternatively, you can go with ratedrparts out of Australia:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280238516678?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

^I think overall it will cost 20 bucks total with shipping to US for that one.  You get a pair of blue and a pair of black.  Fit and finish is nearly flawless, BUT the holes are too small so you have to drill them bigger.  I ended up using ratedrpart's aluminum adapter plates.  I'll use Creese's for my wife's motorcycle.

• Premium Member

I went with the Evotech ones: http://www.motostarz.com/filter-by-bike/yamaha/fz-07-mt-07/evotech-performance-mini-indicator-adaptor-set-for-yamaha.html

They are plastic, but pretty stout plastic. If you are doing front and rear signals, you will need to purchase two full sets (as each signal requires two of these adapters)

Archived