The MT-07 Forum

Help with my first motorcycle purchase

radbashar

Hi there people! I've got my heart set on buying a new Fz 07 from a dealer on Long Island. I've seen that they have an msrp of 6490, I wanted to know what I can expect the OTD price to be in New York. I'd like to know what kind of costs I can expect for the first year of ownership and also some tips on purchasing and financing. Some gear advice would be appreciated too!

A little info about me: I've ridden a 125cc bike for 2 weeks or so previously and am going to the MSF course in a couple of weeks. I am hoping to be able to put 1000 for the bike and 1000 for gear.

• Global Moderator

Do not look at the MSRP, you want an out the door (OTD) price. Dealers are all over the place as far as fees go. They can make a bad deal for you after starting from a good MSRP.

What can I expect dealer costs to be? Where'd you buy the bike from jbird? And what are those specifically? Are they working for you in NY?

I've seen just 3 dealers a little far away from my place. Haven't been in them in person yet since I don't have funds yet. Just want to make sure that I can afford to use the bike for commute to work and college.

TwistedTorque

I paid MSRP + tax for my bike OTD. No fees from what I remember other than any state required fees. Bought it in NYC last summer. MSRP + tax to me is fair for NYC. Anything over that your getting charged some kind of fee from the dealer with some kind of name they decide to make up.

Shop around get an OTD quote thats all you really care about is the final number.

• Global Moderator

I would try and get the OTD price in writing too. It is easy for the dealer to tell you something on the phone and then figure when you are in the store looking at your shiny new bike they can add a few fees. Not that that would ever happen.....

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Check the FZ-07 Pricing Thread here, someone from NYC stated they paid $7650 OTD recently.  Also, you should get some insurance quotes for the bike from several insurance companies. Depending on your age, driving record, location, motorcycle experience and other variables your rate may be too high.  Good luck with your search.

The place nearest to my house is LI Kawasaki and Yamaha. Where'd you buy it from in NY?

As for insurance, I got a quote from Progressive. The basic coverage is 530 for me if I complete the MSF course, which I am gonna do. Everywhere else is about 1000 or more per year. I'm looking to use it to go to Stony Brook University starting next year and work.

As for experience, I've been on bicycles and scooters for a long time now. I used a motorcycle during a vacation in India, and I think I have the knowledge I need. I'm not gonna rev the FZ-07 beyond what I need cause of all the rider reviews I've seen, the torque seems marvelous.

• Premium Member

I went straight from the MSF course onto the FZ07. 1000km of riding experience so far and loving it.

New York Honda Yamaha in Queens gave me a special price (less than $7500). A lot cheaper than the price that a place in Brooklyn quoted me. In the past I purchased a bike from New York Motorcycles in Queens, but I called them about three times and the sales person said he would talk to his manager and get back to me about the price and he never did. Shop around, get some quotes. Look on Cycle Trader. I even tried Costco pricing in South Jersey but they added so many fees it came up to about Msrp plus tax...... Don't pay $7800 otd or more unless you get one from an Ashley Shaffer dealership and you get a happy ending with your purchase. GOOD LUCK!

I just got mine last month and paid $7566 OTD in upstate NY. The MSRP was $6499 + tax and title, watch out for the extra fees they throw on. The got me on freight and uncrating fees for like $500.00

Archived