The MT-07 Forum

Road salt

birch444

I bought my Fz-07 in February of this year and i was eager to ride it. I ended up taking it out for a spin in the beginning of march after the roads were clear of snow. After i got back i realized my bikes covered in salt.... i tried taking a bucket of water and a towel to wash off as much as i can but theres still some i cant get. Im waiting till the roads are clear of salt to take it to the carwash but im afraid my bikes guna be destroyed by then. Any ideas on what to do? Or do you think it will be fine and wont rust?

• Premium Member

You could try a product like the s100 total cycle cleaner. Thats what my local dealer recommended, although i havent tried it yet

That's exactly why I will not ride my bike on the street until that salt (or whatever it actually is these days) is washed off the street to a reasonable degree by rain and traffic.
The stuff is corrosive.
If you wait too long, no amount of washing will get rid of any corrosion.

Break out the bucket of soapy water, nylon bristle brush for the nooks and crannies, a drying towel for after you rinse the soapy/salty water off, and a can of WD-40 or similar water-displacing spray lube for the drive chain and other metal parts you want to protect from rusting (NOT the brake discs).
Don't spray water into the muffler or airbox inlet.

• Global Moderator

Yes, rinse and repeat.
The salt they use on roads pretty much kills everything. Like @yzetc says, wait until a couple of downpours before taking the bike out. As for cars I Krown them when the winter season is over and they use [/url]Salt Eliminator to get rid of the corrosive stuff. They sell that stuff in cans so I would probably use that. I am not sure if they sell it where you live.

Archived