The MT-07 Forum

How to fit a helmet and crash test ratings of helmets

Cruizin

SHARP is an Org in the UK I think, and here is a great vid on the proper way to fit a helmet before purchasing.

Look around on the site and you will see that they really test the hell out of helmets, and have a list of their top helmets to buy for safety. And really, why else do we buy helmets?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/how-fit-your-helmet

fooschnickens
Surprised to see that Scorpion didn't get any five star ratings in crash tests. My Bell got a five star though.
I'm not, considering most of their lineup falls into the "$150 or less" category. Buy cheap, get cheap. 

• 1 month later...

what really surprised me is that my 120€ Nolan N86 has 4/5 stars and the 600€ shoei gt air i was thinking of buying has 3/5
expensive =/= safe

• 8 months later...

I'd like to ask opinion on 'fitting' a helmet - specifically, what about the all-to-common tight fitting areas that occur with helmets.

I realize a proper fitting helmet shouldn't cause this, so let's make a couple assumptions;
1 - any alteration of the helmet likely voids warranty and most certainly diminishes the integrity of the helmet; and
2 - most likely the helmet is no longer considered legal, in the strictest of sense.

I have a Shark Evoline 3 - it's a medium-oval, and otherwise fits nicely except for a tight spot at the forehead area that can get uncomfortable after long periods. I realize I should have worn it for longer in the store, but I was excited and had cash to burn.

I've read about riders using a baseball bat and light pressure to slightly compress the offending areas, and others using sandpaper and even Xacto blades to 'shave' just a smidge out of the areas that don't fit so well. Lastly there was the 'hot water & heated spoon' trick.

The real question is this - has anyone here tried something like this? I'd rather not have to buy another helmet for obvious reasons - I can deal with the small amount of pressure, but would obviously like it to fit as comfortably as possible.

• Premium Member

Great find Cruizin!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived