The MT-07 Forum

how often u change ur oil

alcoach

bmwpowere36m3

[ul type=disc][*]Mototune break-in[*]Applied a neodymium magnet to drain plug (before putting any miles on bike)
[*]1st Oil/Filter change at 120 miles (Shell Rotella 15W-40) and replace drain plug with BikeMaster magnetic [*]2nd planned oil/filter change at ~400 miles (same oil)[*]3rd planned oil/filter change at ~700 miles (same oil)[*]4th planned oil/filter change at ~1500 miles, switch to synthetic[/ul][div]
After that, the plan is to change around 2000-3000 miles (or once a season)… I usually change once I notice the shifting starting to get notchy.  If I don't happen to hit that mileage during the riding season, I'll change the oil before I put the bike away for winter.[/div]

• Premium Member

Changing oil is your religion...I dumped the factory oil at 300 miles after a hard break in...I plan to change every 3k miles with good ole 10-40 yama-lube and new oil filter too...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Got the 600 mile service and just did an oil change at 2500 miles to baby the engine while it's breaking in. Old oil literally came out as clear as it did going in. Engine runs so clean and solid even though I mix it up between hard accelerating and easy commute days. I only pump 91 octane.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Changed oil at 26 miles. Changed oil at 100 miles. Changed oil and filter at 600 miles. Changed to full synthetic at 3000 miles. Sent a sample of the first two off to the lab for analysis. Will send a sample to the lab at 8k and see what they say.

The first sample showed minor top end wear. Second was very clean. I suspect the suggestion will be to go 8k between intervals on synthetic. That's my engine not yours so don't assume anything here.

You can't change oil too often.

-HowWorkClutch

Got the 600 mile service and just did an oil change at 2500 miles to baby the engine while it's breaking in. Old oil literally came out as clear as it did going in. Engine runs so clean and solid even though I mix it up between hard accelerating and easy commute days. I only pump 91 octane.

Sounds to me like you're wasting your money both on the tool frequent oil changes and the 91 octane gas.

I have my pcv set for 91 octane and yes you are right on the oil change. Since not many people know how the bike wears in, I wanted to play far on the safe side to see how much spooge this engine sheds in the first 6k.

I am waiting on my pcv hub and map switch so I can set an economical commuter map based on 87 oct. I would love to see 60mpg on this bike with cheap gas.

I will have 400 miles on the bike tonight and I think I'll do my first oil change then. Is it too early to switch to synthetic? If so, why? I have 3 qts of royal purple 10w-40 sitting in the garage.

• Global Moderator

I switched to synthetic oil at 2,000 miles. My thinking was to make sure the rings had time to seat properly with regular oil (I had done the first change at 600 miles). I am not sure if it is good reason but it is my reason.

switched out the factory oil at 405 miles tonight, it was nearly clear and had zero metal shavings that I saw... I wonder if the previous owner that had the bike for 66 miles did an oil change. Either way it shifts a LOOOOOOOOOOOT smoother on royal purple.

Archived