The MT-07 Forum

how often u change ur oil

alcoach

Hi guys,

How often do you changeyour oil on your fz07?

In the sm it stated every 6000mi seems a bit too much ,what do u guys thinks?

Thanks

Guest Ralph

I did the 600 mile then another at 3000 but after the 6000 mile I will stick to the book.
What I have done and believe in is fit a magnetic sump plug, one look at one after a few
thousand miles will convince most of there worth, it catches metal before it goes through
the pump were the filter catches it after. The US bikes have shorter change intervals mostly
I suspect because Americans cant get there heads round longer intervals and it's good for
profits.

The FZ-07 Service Manual recommends, after the initial 600 mile oil change, to do it every 4,000 miles or 6,000 kilometers, not 6,000 miles.

In the book it says 4000mi yup just checked it but the mt book says 6000mi weird.

So how often u guys usually change ur oil on ur bike?

With 2 bikes, a 110 year old house that needs attention, and taking a bus to work, I won't come close to those miles in a year. With no riding during the winter (ever getting longer, wtf!) months, I'd prefer that 3 month layover be done with clean (no moisture, no acids etc.) oil. So I change oil/filter once a year, in the late fall these days. Whether it needs or not. The lawn muncher gets the same - just way cheaper oil. The snow thrower gets it's oil change, well, if spring ever happens. Soon, I hope.

After the 600 mile service I've changed my oil in 1,000 mile intervals. im just about to hit 5,000 miles gonna take it into a shop for the 4,000 service yeah I know it's a bit late.

fooschnickens

I've done it the same as Rick. Either by the interval in the manual, or right before the bike gets put down for winter.

Kinda sad that the time those motors need a magnetic drain plug the most is when it's not there - those 1st 5 or 600 miles.

The Aprilia uses a dry sump, so there's a separate drain for the oil that's not in the main oil tank and still in the "gear box". It took about 6000 miles and a switch to fully synthetic oil (from a blend) before I no longer saw spooge on that 2ndary drain's magnet.

Everyone should bin that OE plug for a magnetic one as soon as possible.

I first changed it after 50 miles, then changed again at ~250 then will change again at 800 afther that will stick to the manual

have to tell first oil change had a lot of metal particles, and also the 250 oil had metal again...

i did use the motoman brake in, so give it full throtle for the first miles and very quick oil changes, bike runs great

• Global Moderator

I did the first at 600 and changed to synthetic at 2,000. I will do it annually now unless I manage to ride more than 6,000 miles in a year, which I hope I do.

I first changed it after 50 miles, then changed again at ~250 then will change again at 800 afther that will stick to the manual 
have to tell first oil change had a lot of metal particles, and also the 250 oil had metal again...

i did use the motoman brake in, so give it full throtle for the first miles and very quick oil changes, bike runs great
I think that your breakin proceedure and oil change intervals were pretty much spot on. Kudos!

Mine had more than I would have liked to see at 500 miles. Kinda wish I changed it sooner. My break-in was somewhere between moto man's gonzo and the book. Still haven't whacked the throttle open full or seen over 7k RPM. But did a lot of closed throttle unloading in 3rd/4th gear at 5 and 6k.  
But this is why a magnetic drain plug is important. Oil goes thru the filter from the pump, not the other way round. Clearly, the OE filter is not grabbing these teeny bits. A magnet sure will. 

Mine had more than I would have liked to see at 500 miles. Kinda wish I changed it sooner. My break-in was somewhere between moto man's gonzo and the book. Still haven't whacked the throttle open full or seen over 7k RPM. But did a lot of closed throttle unloading in 3rd/4th gear at 5 and 6k.  
But this is why a magnetic drain plug is important. Oil goes thru the filter from the pump, not the other way round. Clearly, the OE filter is not grabbing these teeny bits. A magnet sure will. 
No matter what brake in procedure you use,  a 1000 miles factory oil change is just too long.  imagine if you hadnt change it until factory recommended... 
After a few miles  all engines already have a lot of particles running all system long. 

Guest Ralph

A friend as a bike over 10 years old and 50,000 plus miles never had a single oil/filter change or service
still runs fine but getting a little on the rattly side, amazing how robust modern engines are.
Not that I would recommend it but it shows how much abuse they can stand.

After a few miles  all engines already have a lot of particles running all system long. 

Have a buddy who just bought his dream car, a 2015 C7 Corvette. Think it comes filled with 8 qts of Mobil 1. The 1st recommended change is at 5k miles! Don't some BMW cars now have the 1st oil change at 10k miles?  
Just crazy. 

pantheraleo

Yamalube. Its quite affordable if you buy it in gallon containers.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Guest Ralph

The first change on my Renault Diesel was slated for 17000 miles looking at
the service history that is what happened, I bought it at 30,000 and did it's
second change, even I think 17,000 is a bit much and change it at about 10'000
the car is now at 103,000 showing no problems sounds like the day I bought it
uses no oil and it stays very clean for a Diesel between changes. It's a car
and so has no wet clutch or any gears running in the oil but still 17,000
is a long way for a oil change though other cars go longer and some have variable
distances but just how it works out when it's time to change the oil I don't know.
On petrol versions no running in is necessary on Diesels some restraint is recommended
but that equals speeds on the licence loosing side of the UK speed limits.

I stick to a 5000 mile interval after the initial break in. My race bikes were on a more frequent interval but that was simply due to the extreme conditions the engines and drivetrain were put through.
Part of the break in of an engine are the metal shavings and particles cycling through the engine. The wear created by the particles helps cut in the engine. Without them it takes longer for the seals to seat and obtain optimum compression. There's a reason engineers call for the first service at a certain time. As far as oil life, modern oil is highly resistant to breakdown, which is why you have seen auto manufacturers increase he oil change intervals. Changing your oil too frequently is simply a waist of money and natural resources.

Archived