The MT-07 Forum

fender eliminator

shift4life

Has anyone seen a fender eliminator kit with the plate in front of the rear tire I do not like the plate right at the rear of the tail section and the stock rear fender is god awful looking. I used to have a sv650 and competition werkes used to make a nice eliminator kit with the plate in front of the tire.

Yes that's the exact one I had on my old sv 2nd Gen and I want something like that on my fz Mayne I will just have to fab something up.

• Global Moderator

That looks great but I would be afraid of being pulled over every time I rode with that. I already got a $216 ticket for having the wrong color license plate on my car. I fought it and they reduced it to $140.

That looks great but I would be afraid of being pulled over every time I rode with that. I already got a $216 ticket for having the wrong color license plate on my car. I fought it and they reduced it to $140.
This is why you shouldn't paint your license plate!  :D

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator
This is why you shouldn't paint your license plate!  :D
I did not paint it (even I know that is a bad idea :) ). They reissued my personalized plate. The old ones were yellow and I liked it better. I replaced the rear one but kept the old one on the front. That was what cost me $140 and a morning sitting in the court house waiting. 

I am thinking I will make a mount I work at caterpillar so I can fab up some mounts I figure as long as you have and clear view of the plate from behind with no obstructions a cop can't really say to much about it. I never got a ticket or warning on my old bike with it like that.

• Global Moderator

The Washington state law says the license plate must be "attached to the rear of the vehicle". With my last experience I personally do not think it is worth the chance. I agree that as long as it is visible it should not be a problem, I just do not want to donate another $140 to the local courts. It seems like more of a revenue generater than common sense issue where I live.

The law in most states typically say the plate must be fully visible from X feet away and illuminated at night by dot approved light source. The tail tuck license plate kits would obstruct the view of the plate with the rear tire. Knew a lot of guys who got cited for it. I almost did on my R6 but I told the officer I'd change it (and I did) so he let me go. I grew up in a small town so they all recognized me, my bikes , and my trailer lol

I'd stick to the more traditional fender kits. 5-0 typically forgives non-approved tail lighting so long as the plate is still clearly visible.

Guest sportyeight
I am thinking I will make a mount I work at caterpillar so I can fab up some mounts I figure as long as you have and clear view of the plate from behind with no obstructions a cop can't really say to much about it. I never got a ticket or warning on my old bike with it like that.
Which cat? I deliver to a few.

Which cat? I deliver to a few.
[br? I work at ziegler cat in bloomington mn

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I'm curious to know what the hardware looks like. are you planning to use a license plate light? You can use led license plate bolts.

• Global Moderator

@shift4life, can you post a photo from the side please? BTW I like your license plate number. Those are my initials :)

It has a license plate light it Is that small white bullet led in the middle of the tail. And my blinkers are mounted in those fake fins on the underside of the tail. I will have to take a better picture with better lighting

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

shift4life, as I look at your tailend pic I must ask if there is some non-apparent reason why you didn't use a piece of aluminum stock bent to the correct angle as a bracket for the tag so that you wouldn't have had to bend the top of the tag? With lighted bolts (many sources) such would certainly be legal where I live.

As a fabman myself I'm just curious; thanks.

• Premium Member

I like it other than as stated above with bending the top of the plate... but I'm more curious about the turn signals. how is the visibility for traffic behind and how bright are they?

Archived