The MT-07 Forum

Crashed today

geezer

Yes, I crashed this morning heading to work. Here's my story, be gentle. 

I take a large lunchbag to work that's strapped to my backseat as you can see below. The only difference from the picture is the bag is sideways and the ROK-straps hold everything very good in the two weeks I've been using the setup. This morning was different because I forgot my riding jacket in my work van along with my GoPro and Sena headset yesterday so I packed along an extra backpack to hold the thermal and extra sweater I wore instead. I put the straps of the backpack below the lunchbag and used the ROK-straps to hold down the bag. 

Heading up the 5 North just out of Oceanside, I see what looks like something blowing in the wind so I immediately think something with my bag is wrong. I turn my body to look and I guess the bike swerved a good 5-6 feet when i did this. When I turned back around there was a semi-trailer right in my face and within a second I ran straight into it. I'm thinking he was switching lanes from the slow lane to the [HASH]2 lane, at the exact same time as my swerve. When I impacted I kind of pushed off of it with my arm and bounced off, accelerating enough to figure out what happened and pull over. The truck kept going. I was traveling approx 85 mph at the time of impact.

Luckily enough, the only damage to the bike was a broken foot peg, sheered off frame slider, and bent rear brake lever. I had no broken bones, just very bad bruising to my heel that requires crutches for a few days. Hopefully all is good and nothing else comes up.My steel toe boot took the brunt of the impact and was indented by the trailer. You can see the grooves below. The leather was ripped from the sole all around the boot. There is also a hole in my glove from putting my arm up. If I wouldn't of forgotten my camera at work yesterday all of this would have been on footage. Oh and there is a dent in my exhaust. 

On a serious note, I got very VERY lucky today. My foot and toes would have been destroyed had it not been for that boot, and I say this because I only wear the boots when I'm going to and from work. Normal rides I wear tennis shoes (not anymore!). I think the frame sliders (THANK YOU VAGABOND) saved my life because if those weren't sticking out, what else would have hit the truck? Just wanted to share my story and hopefully get advice on how to fix. I rode the bike back home and don't want to go the insurance route. 

tldr: Crashed into a semi trailer, bike is OK, I'm OK, wear your boots. 

9CHGdeM.jpg

BIFjxXl.jpg

6tZF8j5.jpg

9ULJk2N.jpg

• Premium Member

Damn man! Glad to hear you're mostly un-harmed and it's a bonus the bike isn't too bad off. I guess when you shifted to look you countersteered the bike a bit. Did the bag end up having problems or just the straps flapping about?

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Holy crap man! Glad you are OK, and thanks for sharing, because I know most people don't like to talk about their blunders (and I've done a million, including today - I dropped my bike in the driveway, because I thought the side stand was down). But really... it is great for all of us to use this post to become more attentive, look up the road, have your 10 sec, 5 sec, 2 sec, plan. Once again, thanks, and glad your OK.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

Wow. I am glad to hear you are okay and the bike is mostly okay. It is a good reminder that it only takes a quick distraction to cause an accident. Keep us updated on how the repairs go.

Thanks hobbs! The bag was completely secure and the straps were stuffed below the backpack. I rode with a hooded jacket this morning since I forgot my riding jacket at work, so the flopping thing I saw in the mirror was actually just the hood on my sweater.

You live and learn!

Glad you are ok! Gear saves lives. Did the semi stop? Or did he not even realize anything happened and just kept going?

Glad you are ok! Gear saves lives. Did the semi stop? Or did he not even realize anything happened and just kept going?
The semi didn't stop and I'm not sure if he even noticed. I bounced off the thing going over 80 so I don't know how he wouldn't notice, but who knows. 

• Premium Member

Yes, WOW!! Great to hear it turned out so well. I was just looking at steel toe boots last weekend, but decided to put it off and buy other stuff since I have decent hiking boots I wear when I ride (maybe I will rethink that now!). 

Yes, WOW!! Great to hear it turned out so well. I was just looking at steel toe boots last weekend, but decided to put it off and buy other stuff since I have decent hiking boots I wear when I ride (maybe I will rethink that now!). Did the ROK straps keep everything tied down thru the mishap? :-)
The ROK-straps work very well and held everything down. I would highly recommend them. 

Wait...You hit the semi and didn't fall????? I'm just impressed. Also, the driver probably really didn't feel anything. You and your bike might weigh like 600 pounds which is practically nothing to a semi, and I seriously doubt he could see you hit the side. If he saw you after that, and you were still upright, he probably didn't think anything of it.

Seriously though, glad you're okay and that the bike isn't too banged up. Looks like you have an excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust now.

Here is a video I found which shows something very similar to what happened to me. Skip to 1:30 for action.

Always keep your focus on the road!

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Glad you're okay; such an innocuous action like this could have happened to anyone. It's interesting how something out of your ordinary routine can serve as a catalyst to an accident; it makes sense and is something to be mindful of. Now time for a new exhaust?? :D

Somebody was totally watching over you!!! Very lucky, all in all it's an experience. I commute too and have had a few close calls. A few my fault, a few not my fault.

I changed my riding habits, I leave earlier and max out a whooping 75mph.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Glad to hear you are ok!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

Man, the one day you forget your camera! +1 to what @she3pdog said.

And looking back is a skill that takes a bit of time to practice.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Live and learn!!! And thankfully, you did both!! 8-) Glad to hear you are good! Its nice to hear of a fellow rider that doesn't get hurt as opposed to all of the instances you hear on the news....

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

Many thanks for your story. I went right out and got some strong steel toe shoes and high top leather uppers. I'll get some touring motorcycle boot soon, but the new boots are much stronger than the Alpinestars "Africa" boots I have.

I wear Sidi discovery rain boots. Get Some!!!
I crashed on the road in these and my boot got pinned between the footpeg and the road as the bike fell over, broke the peg off and all i got was a broken toe. i am still using the boots! People laugh at me when they see me on my FZ07 wearing dualsport boots. But I dont care, Id have no left foot had I been wearing sneaks. They kept my foot from rotating around the wrong way. These boots arent tough enough for off road work but they are supple enough to walk around all day in. Glad to hear you are ok. No worries , as the forum admin for NT-owners.org sayz "Don't sweat the small stuff....its all small stuff."
Peace
Leo

http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-discovery-rain-boots?gclid=COCigd_AucQCFdgJgQodPL4Ahg

RRokay Raggie

Guest brickst3r

Glad you are okay. I hate seeing post about crashes. But the bike doesn't look too bad. I see it dented the exhaust a little too, which means you can get a new upgrade =). Ride safe everyone.

Thank you everybody for the kind replies. The total repair costs for the bike are +/- $250 - ($139 to replace the rear brake lever & foot-peg, includes .3 hours labor) and $95 to replace the Vagabond frame slider. I learned a lot from this incident and I think I'm a better rider because of it.

Very glad to hear you are ok! Please let us know if you only need to replace one slider. We can absolutely accommodate that. We don't want you to have to buy the pair if you need one.

$5 discount on all of our products with code: FZ07-FIVE!
www.vagabondmotorsports.com
Always free domestic shipping!

Archived