The MT-07 Forum

Removing MT07 Passenger Pegs

ireek

For those folks that do not take passengers on their bike's, I found a quick and easy way to remove the passenger pegs, I used one of the reflector brackets off of the front brake caliper and made a nice little bracket for the rear brake reservoir, looks pretty jazzy if I must say so myself.  Pics in the morning, it's a little dark now.

• Like 4

• Global Moderator

That's smart to use the reflector bracket, good tip. Would it be possible to use the other hole so the reservoir is more tucked away or would the brake line cause problems?

• Like 1

You might be able to get it tucked in a tad further but you have to clear the back wheel/fender when the suspension compresses, that bracket puts it in pretty much the same spot as it was before, it's just more noticeable now without the pegs.

• Global Moderator

How hard was it to undo the bolts? I have heard that it seems the factory uses a very large gorilla to torque them down.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This looks great! Even though the pegs double as cargo tiedowns removing them gives the bike a neater look and loses some weight! I'm never going to have a pillion so I'm doing this next. Ireek, I noticed your bike is red, did you vote on the fastest color poll yet?

Illegitimi non carborundum

This looks great! Even though the pegs double as cargo tiedowns removing them gives the bike a neater look and loses some weight! I'm never going to have a pillion so I'm doing this next. Ireek, I noticed your bike is red, did you vote on the fastest color poll yet?
Nope, not yet but I will.  Of course, red is the fastest..   

How is it just sitting out in space? Any plans to place something around it to protect it more? If/when mine ever shows up I'll probly remove the pegs as well since my s.o doesnt ride.

Seems fine to me, haven't had any issues, even if the bike falls over it won't touch the ground. My only concern had been if the bolt came loose and the master cylinder tilted downward and possibly leaking brake fluid on the swingarm. I did use locktite on the bolt to be on the safe side.

This is a dumb question but can anybody point out on another picture of what exactly the reflector bracket looks like? Lol thanks in advance

Can't remember who made them but one if the Brittish companies made a set of fslick plates to cover the holes and hold the resivoir . But when you convert to $ from # and shipping it wasn't attractive anymore.

The company also makes a slick radiator cover.

foxtrotzulu07
How hard was it to undo the bolts? I have heard that it seems the factory uses a very large gorilla to torque them down.

Heat the bolts with a heat gun and they are fairly easy to undo.

Guest MXRider

How about doing away with the reservoir entirely? This is a common swap a lot of guys do on many bikes because it really cleans things up. You take a Nissin master cylinder off a modern motocross bike. The reservoir is contained within the master itself and it has a little sight glass on the back. You can also add a brake return spring like what I have pictured here on my YZ.

Anyone care to post the FZ07's stock master cylinder mounting holes measurement? Center of hole to center of hole and I can compare with what I have to see how easy this could be or if you would need to make a mounting bracket.

Here is one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-YAMAHA-YZ250F-YZ-250-F-REAR-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-/160869346127?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25748f6b4f&vxp=mtr

FE4505A1-BBDA-465F-97D9-2E676818AFFA_zpspncfsk5v.jpg

Guest MXRider

So that's really close to the measurement I got of 50mm center to center. In US your measurement gives me 1.906" or 48.41mm. If I had to venture a guess I'd say the FZ in fact uses a 50mm spacing.

foxtrotzulu07
So that's really close to the measurement I got of 50mm center to center. In US your measurement gives me 1.906" or 48.41mm. If I had to venture a guess I'd say the FZ in fact uses a 50mm spacing.
I would use your measurement. I was using a tape with the smallest unit being 1/16".

• 1 month later...
My brake fluid reservoir "bracket" after passenger peg removal------------ P1000398_zps2ecc4780.jpg

[/img]
What did you use for your bracket??  I was going to use the reflector bracket but this looks ever better/cleaner 

• 1 year later...

If you take a bolt from the passenger peg and flip the reservoir around 180 you don't have to fab or make anything and looks nice and clean. Kinda like this  

15129660738_efaa7d06da_h.jpg
Hi, so I did it exactly the same way as you did. Now I have found your post and I wanted to ask if you encountered with any problems while riding. Is it working just fine?

Sir LightYear