The MT-07 Forum

Neutral to 1st Clunk/Hard Shift?

griffin

My bike actually rode forward and would not start while trying to start it with the clutch pulled in and in first. I have my chain within specs, shorty levers on from PO. Should I adjust the clutch cable on the bars or down by the shifter? This seems more than just the regular clunk from neutral to first 

Sounds like your clutch might not be fully disengaging when pulling in the lever and lurches forward then stalls. I know the pains of trying to figure this out on my own (my first motorcycle / manual vehicle). So, if you can take a picture from the seat pointing straight down at the clutch arm on the right side of the motorcycle with the clutch lever fully pulled to the bar. I can give you a little advice as to where our bike's lever roughly needs to be in order to get you on the right track where you can feel it out from there.

topazsparrow
23 hours ago, Plewis01 said:

My bike actually rode forward and would not start while trying to start it with the clutch pulled in and in first. I have my chain within specs, shorty levers on from PO. Should I adjust the clutch cable on the bars or down by the shifter? This seems more than just the regular clunk from neutral to first 

Im not personally 100% sure, but my buddy is a bike mechanic and postulates that the clutch packs on our bikes tend to be pretty sticky. Starting it and putting it into gear with the clutch fully dissengaged still allows for enough drag to clunk and in some cases (such as cold days where I live) lurch forward gently.

If you start the bike in 1st, you'll feel it pull the bike ahead slightly. I don't think its a clutch adjustment issue so much as the internal friction on the bike - particularly with cold oil.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Ignore above.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:57 PM, Plewis01 said:

My bike will lurch forward when I hit the starter with the clutch pulled in 1st when the bike is cold. It's the oil doing this I think.

Why not just start it in neutral?

I honestly thought that's what everyone did until reading this thread. 

I just went and tried starting mine for the first time in first gear- it did pull forward a little. I've just never noticed, as my habit since I was a kid on dirt bikes was to put it in neutral before starting. 

On 4/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Cinimod said:

Why not just start it in neutral?

I honestly thought that's what everyone did until reading this thread. 

I just went and tried starting mine for the first time in first gear- it did pull forward a little. I've just never noticed, as my habit since I was a kid on dirt bikes was to put it in neutral before starting. 

That is what I do. I was curious about starting it in gear.