The MT-07 Forum

Neutral to 1st Clunk/Hard Shift?

griffin

I've read a few threads here concerning shifting, hard shifting, clunks between gears, etc., but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a tranny clunk going from neutral into 1st gear?  I have a clunk that actually throws my bike forward an inch or so as if my clutch is not fully engaged. Is this normal? This is my first street bike, so I may be overly concerned.

...and I just got my first/post break-in service performed today and I still have the clunks.

My bike does this every single time I go into first from neutral. I think this is pretty normal for this bike. Haha

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I think the clunk is normal but it should not move your bike forward when shifting like that. Riding a motorcycle is very tactile and I think this is one of the messages you get so the rider can be sure it's in first without having to look.

FWIW the clunk has been there for all the bikes I have ridden.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Mine clunks too. I have always wondered if there is a technique to avoid it. If you are on a little slope and start rolling first, it won't clunk.

fooschnickens

It should clunk, but not actually move the bike. All my bikes (including the FZ) have just kinda shuddered when I drop into first.

The only exception to this was when the bike was still really cold one morning and it actually stalled out and lurched a bit. I guess the oil was too thick. Let it warm up a few more minutes and it was fine.

I've read a few threads here concerning shifting, hard shifting, clunks between gears, etc., but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a tranny clunk going from neutral into 1st gear?  I have a clunk that actually throws my bike forward an inch or so as if my clutch is not fully engaged. Is this normal? This is my first street bike, so I may be overly concerned.  
...and I just got my first/post break-in service performed today and I still have the clunks.

try down shifting from 2nd to 1st then back up to neutral, then when you drop it back in to first it should be smooth. Hope this makes sense.  

Guest Ralph

The clunk going into 1st seems normal on this bike, but and this only works when it's cold,
pull in the clutch give it a quick little rev then without letting go the clutch try putting
it in 1st, most times it will go in without a clunk, this don't work when it's hot as it is
the thick oil that slows the gears and brakes the plates free once hot it's not thick enough.

Yeah, there's still lots of oil between the plates that tends to cause a drag in the clutch. It's gonna be worse when the oil is cold and always worse after the bike sits a bit. Bikes/cars that have dry, single plate clutches will not do this.

Try starting the motor with the clutch pulled. This will help break the surface tension of the oil. Hold the front brake that 1st time so the bike can't move.

My Aprilia is far worse.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

When your bike is in neutral the input shaft to the transmission is spinning but it is not linked to any gear. When you put in the clutch to shift into first the input shaft may still be spinning from inertia even though it is disconnected from the engine crankshaft by the clutch. When the shift fork engages first gear the spinning inertia of the transmission input shaft is transferred to first gear and the rear wheel thus the bike lurches forward.

Try holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds or so before shifting into first from neutral to see if that reduces the lurch. That being said my FZ does the exact same thing.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

thanks for all the input. The term "lurch" and "shutter forward" is no doubt a better way to describe what I'm experiencing, and its good to hear its more or less normal. After work today I'll try the 2nd to 1st to neutral, before going back to 1st routine, and i'll also try holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds to see if that helps.

thanks!

• Global Moderator

Now I think about it I always have the brakes on when I shift into first. That probably explains why mine does not lurch :).

Guest Ralph

When you have ridden as many old dog's of bikes as I have you learn to hold the brake
when going into gear and changing to neutral just before you stop, you also free
the clutch with the kick start before actually starting it, non of which you need to
do with modern bikes, strange that the MT does go in gear even when hot with a clunk
but you can find neutral very easy when stopped, the gear shafts are set high in the cases
and don't run in oil like older bikes they are pressure fed from the engine pump so
maybe that as something to do with it. Less drag so they keep turning leading to clunk,
don't think it's worth worrying over though.

thanks for all the input. The term "lurch" and "shutter forward" is no doubt a better way to describe what I'm experiencing, and its good to hear its more or less normal. After work today I'll try the 2nd to 1st to neutral, before going back to 1st routine, and i'll also try holding the clutch in for 5-10 seconds to see if that helps. 
thanks!
It's perfectly normal and pretty much any bike on the planet with a wet clutch will do this to one degree or another. This yamaha clunks far less than my Aprilia. That bike is 12 years old with miles. It clunks about the same as it did from day 1 
Just hold the front brake, dump it into 1st and go. 

There's better things to occupy yer brain with

Guest whitegas

What rick said. Don't even bother trying to go into elaborate "routines" just to try to get a smoother 1st shift for no reason. Its absolutely unnecessary to waist your time with that.

I also noticed that the clunk is way worse the tighter the chain is. I was experimenting with tighter end of the safe spectrum (probably over tight) and the 1st gear clunk was pretty noticeable. Getting the chain back to spec made it much better. Something to think about!

Tight chains do damage. The clunk is just an annoyance that you guys really need to learn to ignore.

scordiaboy515

Check your clutch lever free play and drive chain tension.  If the clutch cable can be pulled of the purch more than 1/8 of an inch it's too much....turn the drum and tighten up the slack.  In my experience all bikes clunk going into first gear....but like I said, if there's too much slack in the clutch cable give the drum a turn.

• 2 years later...

Mine hasn't done it in quite awhile but since you brought it up (ha! ;) ) it did it just the other day and I captured it on video.

[video src=https://youtu.be/niV2V43rH3k]  What's funny is it made a weird ratcheting sound the first two times I put it in 1st gear from neutral but then it changed up to the CLUNK sound after that. Notice how when I shifted up to 2nd gear and then into 1st it didn't make the clunk sound. Bike's fine. It's just cranky, ha! (no pun intended) If it annoys too much just change your ways and start the bike in 1st gear with the clutch in.

Beemer

Trying to figure it out will drive you nuts, sometimes it goes into 1st like butter other times major klunk.
What really irks me is the starter button wont go back to the correct position without some help when starting her up.
The first time fraked me out because some light came on when pulling the clutch while riding when the starter button was semi engaged.
Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on.

Maybe the clutch cable needs adjustment, also synthetic oil should help. Let Bike warm up .

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Trying to figure it out will drive you nuts, sometimes it goes into 1st like butter other times major klunk. What really irks me is the starter button wont go back to the correct position without some help when starting her up.
The first time fraked me out because some light came on when pulling the clutch while riding when the starter button was semi engaged.
Took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on.
@762mm , some owners have experienced this problem. They fixed it by replacing the spring in the starter switch with a little heavier gauge spring, this stopped the sticking from occurring again. There is a how to on this forum for this new spring fix. Search the forum for it if you want to replace the spring. I believe it is in the "tech tips" section.

Yes, they clunk from neutral to first. Worse when cold. Get it rolling, then shift into first if it really bugs you. Some motorcycles are worse than others. My little R3 does not clunk.

• Premium Member

I admit I did not wade through all the above replies, but given that it is a wet-clutch without a lot of "free-play" (clearance) when released it is normal when the oil is cold to "lurch" a little when shifted into 1st gear. Every bike with this kind of clutch I've ever owned (as best my ol' neurons can still recall) did so... despite what some of the early posters, whose responses I did read, state.

Archived