The MT-07 Forum

after market exhaust cali

mericc

So i know a few of you guys have upgraded your exhaust, just wanting to know if you guys had any police encounters ever since then?

Thanks

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Not the 07 but when I bought my cruizer it had Cobra slashdown streetrod straight pipes that were deafening. I rode it almost one year in California before I changed it to stock. About 5,000 miles and no police ever stopped me.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

First off, my Yosh does have the baffle in on the 07. Makes a tad of a difference, but you know.. it's still loud compared to stock.

I have a Yosh on my other bike too, been pulled over... but not for the exhaust. And I rode that thing without a baffle for 10K. Has another 14K with it in at the moment without any issue.

I can't promise that a cop won't be a dick about it if they wanted, but I haven't come across any problems with my exhaust.

Hope that helps!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 4 months later...

Does it void the warranty? And do you have the bike serviced places other than the dealership? I really would like to buy an exhaust...and most likely will, but I don't have the capabilities of servicing my bike myself (which i will be looking into). I would hope that a shop would still touch my bike even though it has an illegal part. This whole EPA attack on motorcycles is just silly. All feedback is appreciated.

No problems here with the Yoshimura installed. I forget what year they made it illegal to remove the Cat on bikes, I think it was like 2013 or something. Who's really going to know what year the bike is or even care.

thomascrown

Mine is pretty loud, and I'm always breaking the law. Cops haven't busted me...yet

You can hear it idle around the 1:20 mark on my friends motovlog;

• Premium Member

Don't mean to hijickityjack here but how does one test the loudness of the exhaust when pulled over? What does the police use?

It's not even about the loudness anymore. It has to have an EPA cert label somewhere on the exhaust. Pretty sure that only the stock exhaust fits that criteria at the moment. 
http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/california-cracks-down-on-motorcycle-exhaust#.VbEr1vlVgXc

Yup, but yoshimura was kind enough to put the "not legal for public road use" on the backside of the exhaust. Like I said above, how many cops will know right off the bat that this bike is newer than 2013.

Yeah, not many will know or care. I could see motorcycle cops knowing though. Probably have enough interest in bikes to know what the new models look like.

mrlameslacks

I've got a Yoshi with no baffle installed and so far no issues with cops. Surprising because I ride around Irvine and I'm sure some of you know how they are.

Only police encounter I've had so far was getting a thumbs up from a CHP while cruising in the carpool lane. So that's good right?

Archived