The MT-07 Forum

GiVi A2118 windscreen review

jdonalds

I've only had my FZ-07 for three days but the wind coming over the front of the bike was significantly more than my other bike. It is apparent that the design of the area above the headlight was funneling wind both under and over the handlebars. I knew I'd have to deal with it.
DSC01625%20Under%20Gauge-M.jpgDSC01625%20Over%20Gauge-M.jpg

I looked at several alternatives. 

I like the MadStad idea which allows for a quick switch for a shorter or taller windscreen. The hard mount also makes sense to me too. Choices include ride with no screen, a short one, or a tall one. I would ride with the short one around town most of the time, then the tall one for any freeway rides or other longer high speed rides. MadStad doesn't list a dark smoke 16" model. Based on an input from a friend who had a custom cut by MadStad I supposed I could do the same. However the fly screen looks too small to be effective.

The PUIG Touring size seems to have the best reviews and the forum seemed to select the Puig over other models on average. The fact that the Puig seems to be out of stock might suggest it sells very well. There are a few Puig Touring videos on youtube. I'm not crazy about the looks of this model though. I like the touring model even less.

I like the looks of the Givi A2118 and it got good reviews - but only 4 reviews.  I like the smooth shape.

In the end I decided to go for the GIVI A2118. I decided to give it a chance. I have a feeling that any windshield would help a lot. Most of my riding around town is 45mph or less. 

I have a full set of photos and comments here on my photo web site. On the web site I took shots from several angles before and after the shield was installed so you can judge the looks for yourself.

The end result is I'm pleased with the GIVI A2118. Below about 50mph it blocks most of the wind. Pretty much nothing comes from under the handlebars. All of the wind that is directed by the FZ-07 design is also blocked. There are just two areas where the wind still comes through and could be improved in a tweak to the GIVI design.

DSC01634%20sides-M.jpg

Installation was a breeze. I think it looks great.

• Premium Member

Nice review. I was in a similar dilemma to yours, MadStad or Givi. I chose Givi, and I think it looks great and, like you noted, does a great job below certain speeds. I'm about the same height as you. Once I hit > 70, there is quite a bit of pressure, but it does not buffet my helmet. It is a smooth pressure.  I kinda wish I had gone MadStad for the versatility of being able to put on a touring screen when/if I do any long distance road trips.
I still might go that way long term, but the Givi is nice for what it does, and I still think it's the best looking.

Why can't left turners see us?

I had the Puig touring first, now I have the Givi. The Puig did a better job over like 60 mph. But the Givi looks way better and still does a decent job.

pantheraleo

I have the Givi. Looks great and helps. I never intended for my FZ-07 to be a highway bike.

What the Givi does is make it better. So a highway ride of 20 minutes or so is quite tolerable. I find at 80+ mph, the ride is uncomfortable for more than a short burst, but below that its quite manageable for a short ride.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Great review! I'm still trying to decide which screen to get. Any difficulty accessing the key area with this screen on?

Illegitimi non carborundum

pantheraleo
Great review! I'm still trying to decide which screen to get. Any difficulty accessing the key area with this screen on?
None. Key access is just fine with gloves on, and I've got big hands.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

I think the Puig works well tho I preferred the looks of the Givi. The Givi's shortage in stock and ordering options (it wasn't even available on their own site), is what lead me to get the Puig.

No regrets. Seems I would've had to wait over 3 month of winter if I waited.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I've done two freeway trips since I installed the Givi screen and must say it feels so much better! I'm glad I put it on. The only negative I have (and it's minor) is the four bolts and white nylon washers holding it on aren't very attractive. I guess they are in keeping with the industrial street fighter look!

Now I'm searching for a badass decal for it.  8-)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
I've done two freeway trips since I installed the Givi screen and must say it feels so much better! I'm glad I put it on. The only negative I have (and it's minor) is the four bolts and white nylon washers holding it on aren't very attractive. I guess they are in keeping with the industrial street fighter look!  
Now I'm searching for a badass decal for it.  8-)
On mine, the white washers are not even visible.  They are covered by the black bolts and the black bolts blend in, so it doesn't look bad at all.  In fact.. my two complaints are that under the shield the stock bolts are on top, and the black ones are on the bottom, and my screen was not cut perfectly symmetrical, so on the bottom edge, one side is closer to the bracket than the other.   No one else would ever even notice but I'm a little OCD about symmetry.  Really though, I love the look, and everything else seems top notch! 

Why can't left turners see us?

Thanks for the review. If i'd buy a windshield, the Givi would be my choice. I truly dislike a touring screen on a naked bike. Last summer, i did a trip with the 07. No protection at all, but no turbulence and no whisttle noise. Really like that. The problem, here, is that the Givi is backorder since a long time.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• 2 months later...

Thanks @jdonalds... A great review and the pictures are definitely helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to upload them all!!! :D

@jdonalds do you think that if you mounted your u-bolt ram more centered in the handlebars (like almost underneath or directly beside the bike dash) it could fit a phone or gps in between the bike dash and Givi screen?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

What a trip to find this review- I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to pick a windshield, and ultimately went with the Givi. That and availability of the Puig, which right now, there's a lack thereof. Great to hear what you all have to say, that's about what I'm expecting and was hoping for. It looks really good

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have the Givi myself, and today went out on the freeway for the first time (I mostly commute via city streets). I found that over 70mph, I was getting hit with air in the upper chest (and especially the shoulders), but with even a half tuck I could get the air flowing just around my helmet as it should be. Just for reference, I am 5'10" with only a 30" inseam (so perhaps a slightly taller torso than some), and with really broad shoulders.

Hope this info helps as well...

• Premium Member

I really like this screen the best but, was thinking of getting the clear one.

These screens have been near impossible to get for months here in the states. Anyone have any leads?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

ratherbebiking

You think it is hard to get them in the US, try Canada! I have yet to find any retailer that has had access to them and we can't have them shipped from Revzilla due to some BS border rule. I threw in the towel and got an MRA Double Bubble. Would still prefer the Givi but what is a guy to do!?

You think it is hard to get them in the US, try Canada! I have yet to find any retailer that has had access to them and we can't have them shipped from Revzilla due to some BS border rule. I threw in the towel and got an MRA Double Bubble. Would still prefer the Givi but what is a guy to do!?
Well, i think, we canadians, can buy the Givi screen at  Importations Thibault and aviciouscycle. But i always saw it back order. The Givi screen was the only screen that i found good looking.  
I just purchased a VStream sport screen from National Cycle. I find it better looking yet and i hope that National Cycle is right when they say that it would reduce wind noise and generate less turbulance than competitor's screen.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I bought a GIVI for my Honda CB500F and do not like it. It looks great but it increased the wind noise at helmet level.
So, I am considering a VStream Sport to replace it. The VStream is taller and wider for my CB500F.

I was very pleased with sporttour.com as a source of my GIVI windscreen. Best price and I got it in about 10 days (They had to order it).
http://www.sporttour.com/products/c210-Givi/

Call them if you have any questions.  They are in Ohio and easy to understand.

ride safely,

These screens have been near impossible to get for months here in the states. Anyone have any leads?
I caused some of it. I thought I was having a problem with my charge card and kept ordering. Went to buy 1 and GOT 6!?

Would rather sell them to members here instead of returning them, if there's people wanting them. Assuming there's a 10% re-stock fee, so $120 shipped (Cont US), I have no problem shipping to Canada but shipping would be $15-$20 more. 

Oh wow. Wish I would have heard back sooner. I bought a MRA double bubble

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Archived